Over 21 Shrimp Cocktail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
1 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup ketchup
1/3 cup vodka
touch of salt and pepper
¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
¼ cup olive oil
1½ pound cooked peeled, deveined, large shrimp
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Combine everything through hot pepper sauce in a bowl big enough to eventually hold everything. Once these things are combined whisk in oil by pouring in a small stream.

Toss in the shrimp, onion, cilantro and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 6 hrs. Drain before serving. Tails may be left on when cooking the shrimp for presentation purposes.

Makes 6 appetizer servings.

Only two years later, lol, but here's another super 'adult' sh.cocktail -

Limoncello Shrimp Cocktail:

1/2 lb precooked Shrimp
1/2 c Limoncello--Italian Lemon liqueur
1/4 c good olive oil
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice(to taste for tartness)--cut a lemon in half, squeeze half, slice the other half for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs very thin julienne of red, green and/or black bell peppers

Whisk together the oil, liqueur and lemon juice, season to taste with S&P and more lemon juice if desired. Pour into a zip-loc bag and add the cool cooked shrimp, squeeze out air and zip shut. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour and serve on crushed ice in a pretty glass, such as a tall martini glass or old fashioned flat champagne glass, garnish with pepper strips and a lemon slice on the side of the glass.. Yummy!

marmalady said:
Masteraznchefjr - You're supposed to put the Limoncello in the shrimp cocktail, not in your glass! :D
I just made my first batch of home brew limoncello--interested in the recipe? I think it's a little strong and will make with more water/less booze next time.

marmalady said:
Only two years later, lol, but here's another super 'adult' sh.cocktail -

Limoncello Shrimp Cocktail:

1/2 lb precooked Shrimp
1/2 c Limoncello--Italian Lemon liqueur
1/4 c good olive oil
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice(to taste for tartness)--cut a lemon in half, squeeze half, slice the other half for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs very thin julienne of red, green and/or black bell peppers

Whisk together the oil, liqueur and lemon juice, season to taste with S&P and more lemon juice if desired. Pour into a zip-loc bag and add the cool cooked shrimp, squeeze out air and zip shut. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour and serve on crushed ice in a pretty glass, such as a tall martini glass or old fashioned flat champagne glass, garnish with pepper strips and a lemon slice on the side of the glass.. Yummy!

Boy, Marmalady! It is really strange so see my recipe submitted by someone else! I was just going to type this in when I scrolled down and voila, you had done it for me!
:D

mudbug said:
marmalady said:
Masteraznchefjr - You're supposed to put the Limoncello in the shrimp cocktail, not in your glass! :D
I just made my first batch of home brew limoncello--interested in the recipe? I think it's a little strong and will make with more water/less booze next time.

Mudbug, I'd love a copy of that recipe! Please?

marmalady said:
Chefcyn - Your recipe? Sorry, I think I got it from either Sara Moulton on FoodTV or a cookbook.

No apologies necessary and I'm not claiming to be the original author!--I've been using it for a couple of years but don't remember where I got it from first--if you copied it from the forum at FN, it might've been my post--but it's definitely possible I got it from there, too!!! The words are identical to my stored recipe, so it's likely.

Just a fun coincidence that we both have the same one and were posting it here! :) Two great minds... :LOL:

GaARt, your wish is my command, even tho you eat peanut butter and mayo....

LIMONCELLO

8 – 12 clean lemons (I used about 10 large ones)
1 quart 90% grain alcohol

Remove peel from lemons—a little pith is OK, but avoid if possible. Place peels in a large container with good closure; add grain alcohol. Leave in a cool place for a week. Gently shake container a couple times a day.

After a week:

Heat but don’t boil 2 liters of water and dissolve of 3 cups sugar in it. Assure that all sugar gets dissolved. Allow to cool.

Strain lemon peels/alcohol thru gauze or strainer. Discard peels. Mix alcohol into the sugar/water. Shake container well to mix thoroughly. Let it sit for a week or two, then…

Serve cold, and enjoy!

Sounds good mudbug,
I've been wanting to try limoncello, but my local liquor store doesn't carry it :cry:
Is grain alcohol essential, or could you use a good quality vodka to make it a bit smoother?
Just wondering?
John.

JohnL, I have only had this from Italy and my dad's homemade stuff before he gave me the recipe. We can't get grain alcohol in VA either-hubby had to get it in PA where he works. I don't see why vodka wouldn't work.

The recipe I posted tastes pretty strong. Depends on what your tastes are, I guess. Dear papa said he has started adding more water to his batches.

Back
Top Bottom