Overcooking raw potatoes in the microwave until they are chewy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i really like it that if i take a small amount of raw potatoes and overcook it in the microwave it's getting chewy. don't over do it because you will not be able to chew at all if done excessively.

the problem is that it takes some time and you can do it when making small quantities and not big quantities.

is there are other way to get a chewy potato without a microwave?

Peel, slice into 1/4" thickness, cover with kitchen paper (paper towel), and over cook.

Think 1/4" is about right, too thick and you might get a soft fluffy inside with your chewy dried out rubbery exterior.

Too dry and they might get crispy.

Perhaps cook whole potates one day and then next day slice and reheat.

Never done it, doesn't really appeal to me but the above has sort of happened by mistake on occasion. :neutral:

good idea to do it in slices and not halved.

i like it with dry meat burrito because you have more of what to chew on the the taste is wonderful as well.

my microwave is inside a cabinet and there is not much ventilation. this always worry me because i don't want my microwave to overheat or something

there is no door.
but it is pretty tight.
my worry is not the moisture in the microwave. it is it can't get cool when operating.

i will try soon

i guess i worry with no reason

there is no door.
but it is pretty tight.
my worry is not the moisture in the microwave. it is it can't get cool when operating.

i will try soon

i guess i worry with no reason

Did you put the microwave oven in the cupboard? Or was it installed by a professional? Some of them are designed to be installed.

lol, losing a bit in the translation.

Is that... "No, it is professional inst..." or

"Not professional, it was just shoved in tight..."

my next question is - just how long is the micro going at any one time? Minutes or hour(s).?

i've a designated place for the microwave but it is a bit small and the micro can't breate much.

when i use it for a potato it is operating for 10 minutes or a bit more.

but i haven't nuked one for a long time

Attachments

• msg423710037-61865.jpg
    msg423710037-61865.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 32
How tall is that space I see above the micro?

The heat you feel coming from that space, is it so hot you yelp and move your hand away?

That looks almost like my micro! except you have silver trim, mine is black. The controls look very much the same from what I can tell of the picture! LOL

about 2 cm. i can try to measure later

the heat after 5 min of working is quite hot if i rememer right but i don't remember how much exactly

they are common :)

That distance is close to an inch. I should think it would be OK, but if it concerns you, why don't you try doing 5 minutes at Power level 8. It cycles on and off. Would not be on high the whole 5 minutes. If you need to do additional time, that is fine. Or 6 or 8 minutes at Power level 7. Experiment!

dragnlaw
i need to first know how the power can be adjusted. i've always used the the regular power..

taxlady
i will have to check it when i will buy some potatoes tomorrow

thank you

Does the front panel on your micro look the same as my photo? I don't care what the other titles, they are just instant action buttons.
The one that says power level is where you can adjust it.

If you want to do two minutes you punch in 200 on the keypad and then you press Power Level and choose a number to represent the power that you want to use.
For instance, choose number five that's at 50% power. If you choose 8 or 9 it's a percentage 80% or 90% power, if you choose no numbers and just use the 200 and push start you are doing it at the highest level for 2 minutes.
Hope this helps.20220615_184004.jpg

it was soooooo tasty!!!!

i microwaved somewhere between 12 to 15 minutes.

stopped few times in the process to let it cool a bit

the hot air comes mostly from the left side and not from the top.

it's about a million time better than boiled potato

it's very meaty like

Attachments

• msg423710037-62013.jpg
    msg423710037-62013.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 17
don't forget to rub it in some oil so it won't stick and be tastier.

don't forget salt when it is ready

i've used on the 90 power in the microwave

Back
Top Bottom