Overnight Cooking: soaking beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire,

I am about to have lunch as it is already 14.30 hrs.
The time flies ...

Yes, cilantro is also used in Thai and Indian ...

I love Mexican ... we just prefer to restaurant it for this cuisine. We have a Mexican friend who owns a restaurant ...

I like Indian and Thai as well, however, Mexican is my all time fave when we are speaking about spicy and chili peps.

Kind regards and off the computer for lunch ...
Margi.

I think it's epizote, not cilantro
That's what I've read/heard as well. Epizote is harder to find where I live...I'll try cilantro (I grow that) (and save the Epizote for other things). I also heard eating 2 tsp carraway seeds helps to break up gas (after you've eaten the beans). Haven't tried that...

<snicker> Eating beans makes me light on my feet!

In my family, if the men outnumber the women after a meal of beans, it is considered rude not to express your delight with what you have eaten. You will often hear little put puts as someone is walking. Then a mad rush for the outhouse. And verbal expression while patting the tummy is almost mandatory. There have been times when the men have been told they can express themselves outside. And since all family dogs are males, for some strange reason they think they have to join in the chorus also. :pig:

Addie said:
Ain'tcha neva been campin'?:huh:

No.....I'm from NYC/long island and Miami beach. No camping... I've slept on the beach before though....kind of like camping :)

The first time I took my Girl Scout Troop camping they were horrified when they saw the outhouse. They held it in until the very last minute. Then they always had to have someone go with them. It was a two-holer. By day three, they began to think it was the greatest place to be alone. But the rule was that if at night they had to use it, they HAD to take someone with them. Skunks, racoons, and other nighttimie critters were about. :rolleyes:

Do I need to soak beans if I am cooking them overnight in a cholent? Thanks in advance!
Depends on beans, depends on how hot the cholent is. I like to use ready made beans, or at least soak them for a little bit in hot water. Problem with uncooked beans they soak up a lot of water and then the cholent comes out dry, sometimes too dry. Problem with cholent is that you do not want tooo watery either, it has to be some wha on the dry side. If you ask me, soak them, or use canned beans. ANd if you add barelly, pre-cook it too. I gurantee you'll like the end result.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to soak them before cooking them.

90-minute No-Soak Beans. It works perfectly every time with every type of bean imaginable. I have been doing it this way for a couple years. No more soaking for me!

I tried this again today using a higher oven temp (300 instead of 250). And once again it produced 1/2 to 3/4 cooked beans. I am sure that I could get the same results by simmering on the stove top for the same time. I will go back to my old method of cooking beans.

I always cook up twice the beans I need, the other half goes in the freezer for a future meal in almost no time. I have plenty of time on the weekends to soak and slow cook my beans. I never salt them until the beans are done.

I tried this again today using a higher oven temp (300 instead of 250). And once again it produced 1/2 to 3/4 cooked beans. I am sure that I could get the same results by simmering on the stove top for the same time. I will go back to my old method of cooking beans.

Maybe your beans are old? Mine come out of a bulk bin which has a high turn-around rate. Also, did you bring them to a boil on the stove-top before putting them into the oven?

Sorry it doesn't work like you except. :chef: It works like a charm for me!

I don't understand what is so hard about soaking beans over night. Put dry beans in large bowl, cover with water, drain water the next day. Unless all the beans are actually stones, you are guaranteed 100% success. This is not rocket science.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic. :)

Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to soak them before cooking them.

90-minute No-Soak Beans. It works perfectly every time with every type of bean imaginable. I have been doing it this way for a couple years. No more soaking for me!

I really like this idea if I can get it to work for me because I tend to be a impulse cook, I get a craving for beans and want it that day. :) (I have done the quick soak as well!)

I don't understand what is so hard about soaking beans over night. Put dry beans in large bowl, cover with water, drain water the next day. Unless all the beans are actually stones, you are guaranteed 100% success. This is not rocket science.

Unless you are like me and can't decide that you want beans the night before! :ROFLMAO: Maybe it was more like, I'm home from work, I'm tired, make dinner, gotta pack lunches, get homework, bathes done.. get clothes ready for work/ school tomorrow, want beans tomorrow, gotta soak them, ugh, forget it. :LOL:

Last edited:

It's not about it being hard, it's about it being a totally unnecessary step.

And soaking does not "guarantee" success. You can't out-soak or out-cook an old bean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom