Oyster and Brie Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
This is such a fantastic soup - very rich and creamy.

Oyster and Brie Bisque
2 sticks Butter, unsalted
1 c Celery, chopped
1 c Onion, chopped
White pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 c AP flour
1 lb Brie cheese, cut into small pieces, rind removed
6 c Cold water
2 c Heavy cream
36 Shucked oysters, with liquor
1/2 c Champagne
1/4 c Dry sherry
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1.In a large soup pot, melt one stick of butter. Add the celery, onions, white pepper and cayenne. Stir and cook over low heat until vegetables begin to soften.
2.In another pan, over low heat, make a roux by combining 8 tb melted butter and the flour to make a base for thickening the soup. Cook at least 2 minutes, stirring constantly, so the floury taste is eliminated.
3.Add the roux to the vegetables and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the cheese and mix to melt.
4.Add the water, cream, oysters and their liquid. Simmer the soup until the oysters begin to curl just slightly - do not overcook or the oysters will be tough. Add the champagne and sherry and heat through. Serve warm with bacon crumbles and fresh bread.

kansasgirl - your recipes are killin' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM going to make this Christmas Eve - I think reading it made me weak in the knees!!!! LOL :oops:

I have posted this before, but it is so awesome it deserves an encore.

Oyster and Brie Bisque
2 sticks Butter, unsalted
1 c Celery, chopped
1 c Onion, chopped
White pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 c AP flour
1 lb Brie cheese, cut into small pieces, rind removed
6 c Cold water
2 c Heavy cream
36 Shucked oysters, with liquor
1/2 c Champagne
1/4 c Dry sherry
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1.In a large soup pot, melt one stick of butter. Add the celery, onions, white pepper and cayenne. Stir and cook over low heat until vegetables begin to soften.
2.In another pan, over low heat, make a roux by combining 8 tb melted butter and the flour to make a base for thickening the soup. Cook at least 2 minutes, stirring constantly, so the floury taste is eliminated.
3.Add the roux to the vegetables and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the cheese and mix to melt.
4.Add the water, cream, oysters and their liquid. Simmer the soup until the oysters begin to curl just slightly - do not overcook or the oysters will be tough. Add the champagne and sherry and heat through. Serve warm with bacon crumbles and fresh bread.

lol - you could just pull it to the top of the page? ;) 'cause each time it's posted separately I'm pretty sure I gain weight!!!!!! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom