Pad Thai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I received a request for a superior Pad Thai recipe. I did some research, looked at multiple recipes, and found this one by a Thai author. She described her recipe as basic, and added that it could be modified. I'm posting the recipe here, and ask if anyone has a favorite recipe of their own.

Pad Thai

Sauce
3 tbs tightly packed palm sugar
¼ cup tamarind juice
2 tbs good fish sauce
3 tbs water.

Combine water and palm sugar in microwave save bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Set aside.

4 oz. Dry rice noodles
15 cleaned, raw shrimp
1 small shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs. Dried shrimp
1 pkg. Firm, pressed tofu, cut into small pieces
¼ tsp. Crushed Thai bird’s eye chili, or Red pepper flakes
¼ cup shredded sweet preserved daikon radish, minced
2 eggs
2 ½ cups fresh bean sprouts
1 cup garlic chives, cut into 2 inch pieces
¼ cup roasted peanuts
1 lime

Soak noodles 3 hours to overnight in water, in fridge until the noodles are white in color, and pliable.

Chop dried shrimp. Place tofu, dried shrimp, radish, pepper flakes, and minced garlic, in one bowl, the cracked egos into another, ½ of the peanuts, plus the remaining veggies into the last bowl.

Heat 3 tbs. High temp cooking oil over medium-high heat in wok, or large saute pan. Add the shrimp and cook on each side until they begin to develop color. Remove to a clean bowl. Pour in the contents of the bowl containing the dried shrimp. Stir-fry for three minutes, or until the tofu just begins to brown.. Add the noodles. Fold all ingredients together with tongs. Add the contents of the bowl with the bean sprouts Stir until well combined.

Pour the sauce over everything. Push the food to one side of the wok Lightly beat the eggs, and add to the bare side of the pan. Lightly move the eggs around until they are set. Fold the eggs into the rest of the food. Plate, sprinkling the remaining peanuts on top. Cut limes in half and place a half on each plate to squeeze over the Pad Thai. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, here's the recipe I use:

PAD THAI

3 Tb Tamarind Paste
¾ C Boiling Water
¼ C Fish Sauce
1½ Tb Rice Vinegar
¼ C Sugar
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tb Oil
8 Oz Dried Rice Stick Noodles
2 Eggs
⅛ tsp Salt
1 Tb Oil
1 Lb Shrimp (26-30), peeled and cleaned
⅛ tsp Salt
2 Tb Oil
1 tsp Garlic, minced
3 Tb Shallot, minced
2 Tb Dried Shrimp, chopped and soaked in water
2 Tb Thai Salted Preserved Radish, chopped
6 Tb Dry Roasted Unsalted Peanuts
6 Oz Bean Sprouts, rinsed
5 Scallions, green only, sliced

Combine the tamarind with the boiling water and let it sit for 20 minutes, then push it through a fine sieve.

Cover the noodles with hot tap water in a large bowl; soak until softened, and limp but not fully tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the noodles and set aside.

Add the fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, cayenne and the oil to the tamarind and set it aside.

Beat the eggs and the salt in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with the ⅛ teaspoon salt; cook, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque and browned around the edges. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and set aside.

Add more oil to the wok; add the garlic and shallot, set the wok over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown.

Add the eggs and stir vigorously until scrambled and barely moist, about 20 seconds.

Add the noodles, dried shrimp and salted radish; toss with 2 wooden spoons to combine.

Pour the sauce over the noodles, increase the heat to high, and cook, tossing constantly, until the noodles are evenly coated.

Add ¼ cup peanuts, bean sprouts, all but ¼ cup scallions, and cooked shrimp; continue to cook, tossing constantly, until the noodles are tender, about 2½ minutes.

Transfer the noodles to a serving platter, sprinkle with the remaining scallions, 2 tablespoons of peanuts; serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately.

I received a request for a superior Pad Thai recipe. I did some research, looked at multiple recipes, and found this one by a Thai author. She described her recipe as basic, and added that it could be modified. I'm posting the recipe here, and ask if anyone has a favorite recipe of their own.

Pad Thai

Sauce
3 tbs tightly packed palm sugar
¼ cup tamarind juice
2 tbs good fish sauce
3 tbs water.

Combine water and palm sugar in microwave save bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Set aside.

4 oz. Dry rice noodles
15 cleaned, raw shrimp
1 small shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs. Dried shrimp
1 pkg. Firm, pressed tofu, cut into small pieces
¼ tsp. Crushed Thai bird’s eye chili, or Red pepper flakes
¼ cup shredded sweet preserved daikon radish, minced
2 eggs
2 ½ cups fresh bean sprouts
1 cup garlic chives, cut into 2 inch pieces
¼ cup roasted peanuts
1 lime

Soak noodles 3 hours to overnight in water, in fridge until the noodles are white in color, and pliable.

Chop dried shrimp. Place tofu, dried shrimp, radish, pepper flakes, and minced garlic, in one bowl, the cracked egos into another, ½ of the peanuts, plus the remaining veggies into the last bowl.

Heat 3 tbs. High temp cooking oil over medium-high heat in wok, or large saute pan. Add the shrimp and cook on each side until they begin to develop color. Remove to a clean bowl. Pour in the contents of the bowl containing the dried shrimp. Stir-fry for three minutes, or until the tofu just begins to brown.. Add the noodles. Fold all ingredients together with tongs. Add the contents of the bowl with the bean sprouts Stir until well combined.

Pour the sauce over everything. Push the food to one side of the wok Lightly beat the eggs, and add to the bare side of the pan. Lightly move the eggs around until they are set check out. Fold the eggs into the rest of the food. Plate, sprinkling the remaining peanuts on top. Cut limes in half and place a half on each plate to squeeze over the Pad Thai. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
At the Thai Restaurant I go to it's called Paht Graphrao (or something similar). I've tried looking up a recipe for it on the internet and have had no luck.
This dish has Chicken (or a meat of your choice), carrots, bamboo, basil leaves, peppers that resemble jalapeno (but are hotter), onions, and it's in a brown sauce. I can tell there is more spice in it that the pepper I'm just not sure what. Does anyone have any ideas? I would love to try making this at home.

My pad thai, taken a few years ago. One of our favorite dishes.

20210130_195820 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom