Paprika in tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shouldn't think the taste profile would change enough to warrant it. Certainly the colour would be lost.

How much do you typically add?

i see karadekoolaid
interesting to know the reason why

Paprika peppers are typical of Hungarian cooking, where there are two types: mild and hot.
Paprika is also a name given to some Spanish peppers, although the proper name should probably be pimiento, rather than paprika.
Paprika isn´t used in Italian cooking simply because it´s not an ingredient that is typical of Italian cuisine: the same way that chickpeas are not typical of British cuisine, parsnips are not typical of Colombian cuisine and mangoes are not typical of Chinese cuisine.
However, if you want to put paprika in your sauces, go ahead! I often use it in tomato-based sauces.

shouldn't think the taste profile would change enough to warrant it. Certainly the colour would be lost.

How much do you typically add?

most of the time a half teaspoon of paprika for 250gr of dried pasta along with significant amount of tomato paste

No Italians use red pepper flakes! At least I do! lol
Exactly. Italians tend to use peperoncino, because that was the hot pepper which arrived in Italy (probably via Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica) from South America - where all hot peppers originated.
Why don´t Italians use paprika? Because they got peperoncino first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom