Peach Cobbler Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
I have made this for the last couple of years and it is wonderful southern comfort food. It is like a big peach dumpling, not like a pie crust topped peach filling that you often see, this is how they do it in my section of the south. This yankee has warmed up to southern cobbler!

SG1L0312.JPG

SG1L0314.JPG

Peach Cobbler
From baking better.com

4 cups sliced peaches (fresh or frozen, about 5 med. Fresh)
½ cup sugar (more if peaches aren’t sweet, up to 1 cup)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

If using fresh peaches, peel and slice. Place peaches and sugar in a skillet and cook over medium heat until tender (fresh very ripe peaches will take less time to cook) about 5-10 minutes, they are done when easily pierced with a fork. Set aside.

Melt butter and place in a 2 qt. casserole dish.

Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Whisk in milk and vanilla to make a batter. Pour over the butter in the casserole.
Carefully spoon peaches and their syrup over the batter, you want the peaches setting on top of the batter, not sinking below.

Place in preheated oven and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbly. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before eating. Serve warm by itself or with some vanilla ice cream.

* if you have self rising flour you can substitute that, just omit the added baking powder and salt, they are already in the self rising flour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yummy! Thanks Bakechef! I've only ever seen the really thick crust cobblers and this looks better for those of us who would like to indulge but can't handle all the carbs!

I learned about peach cobbler in Kingwood, WV, where it was made quite differently than I had ever had it anywhere else. They'd place a shortcake biscuit in the bottom of a bowl, cover it with sliced peaches, then fill the bowl with fresh cream.
yumyum.gif

Kingwood is also where I was introduced to buckwheat pancakes. They have a pancake festival every year that revolves around them.

Last edited:
Peach Cobbler Recipe & Photos

:yum: Buonasera Bake Chef,

Looks delightful and I can just imagine the aromas of the fresh August Aragonese Peaches ... Thanks so much for posting ... On my future to do´s.

My Mom used to prepare a Blackberry one ...

Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Holy crud, that recipe is supposed to have a 1/2 cup of melted butter in the recipe list, can a mod edit that for me?

Well Bakechef, let me be the first to report that you have a real winner here! This recipe is out of this out this world good, and even I didn't screw it up. ;)

This peach cobbler is by far the best I've ever eaten! I served it warm with some real whipped cream on the top.

Thanks so much for the outstanding recipe. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom