Pear crumble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Firm conference pears are in plentiful supply at the moment with French comice pears coming a close second in the flavour stakes! Here's a crumble mix which uses a small amount of porridge oats to make the crumble mix a little chewier.

1 lb pears, cored and cut into large cubes
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 oz ground almonds
A good pinch of cinnamon
1 oz raisins

Crumble topping
2 oz caster sugar
2 oz light brown sugar
4 oz plain flour
4 oz unsalted butter, chilled and diced
2 oz porridge oats
Pinch of salt

This can be prepared in advance and then refrigerated or frozen, as required. It can be cooked from frozen, but add 15 mins to the ooking time.

Preheat oven to Gas mark 5/180C/350F

Mix pears with sugar, flour, almonds, cinnamon and raisins. Place in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.

Make the crumble topping by stirring flour, salt, sugar and porridge oats in a large mixing bowl. Add the diced butter and then mix with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the pear mix and press down gently.

Cook on a baking sheet for one hour until the top is golden brown. Use a knife to check that the fruit is soft when pierced.

Serve warm with a marscapone cream

4 tablespoons marscapone
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon icing sugar

Mix the above ingredients together.

Recipe: Leith's Cookery School, London

Ishbel, I'm making this tonight. I adore pears. Happen to have some so off I am to start and prepare. I am making a cream of potato soup tonight and along with a good strong yummy green salad, this is the perfect and light dessert.
;) thanks........

Reviving an older post.....

I went hunting for a pear crumble recipe and am happy to have found your's here, Ishbel. I like the fact that the fruit crumble part itself doesn't contain too many high fat (like double cream) ingredients. I am copying and pasting this for the next time that pears go on sale, thank-you :)

Back
Top Bottom