Pecan Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I am sure I can find a recipe for this online, but I would love to have a recipe from someone on here that has actually made it, and your experiences. I've never made it, so I have no idea of the difficulty level, though Im a good cook, so Im sure I can do it. Thanks!

This one is very good.

Maple Pecan Pie
1/4 c Butter, melted
1 c Dark brown sugar
1 c Dark amber maple syrup
3 Eggs, well beaten
3 tb Bourbon or Brandy (opt)
1/4 ts Salt
1 ts Vanilla
2 c Pecans
1 9" pie shell

Preheat oven to 450F
1.Cream butter and brown sugar. Add syrup, eggs, liquor (if using), salt,
and vanilla. Mix together and then fold in the pecans.
2.Bake 5 minutes at 450F, then reduce heat to 350F and bake about 40 minutes until firm. Watch carefully during the last 10-15 minutes of baking to make sure that the top does not burn.

Amber and Blondie:

When I decided I wanted to make a pecan pie a while back, I searched for recipes and found a ton of them. They provided some good ideas and I combined them to come up with this recipe. It's now a favorite of ours. I like it best with a scoop or two of home made vanilla ice cream!

ANDY M's PECAN PIE

1 Piecrust of your choice
3 Eggs
1 C Dark Corn Syrup
2/3 C Sugar
Pinch Salt
6 Tb Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2 C Pecan Halves

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Prepare the piecrust and place it into a 9” deep-dish pie plate. Shape the edge decoratively. Chill.

Mix the eggs, syrup, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and ground pecans in a bowl.

Spread the chopped pecans on the piecrust.

Pour the liquid mixture on top of the chopped pecans.

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until firm.

Cool before serving.

mudbug said:
Andy, I agree on the DARK corn syrup. Makes all the diff, IMO.

How does the dark differ from the light? Is it taste? Texture? What? I usually don't bake with karo syrup, so I don't know anything about it. Thanks in advance!

CookinBlondie*

Very nice recipe, Andy. Thank you for posting it!

And I also strongly agree on the Dark corn syrup for pecan pie!

This is the Dear Abby Pecan Pie. I've made this several times and it's a keeper. You can always substitute dark for light corn syrup, but I think the use of dark brown sugar makes up for it.

Dear Abby Pecan Pie

Ingredients
• 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
• 1 cup light corn syrup
• 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 3 eggs, slightly beaten
• 1/3 cup butter, melted
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 heaping cup pecan halves

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well. Pour into pie crust and sprinkle pecan halves over top. Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center will comes out clean. If pie or crust appears to be getting too brown on top, cover with foil for remainder of cooking time. Allow to cool.

When I was researching recipes, I saw that there was always a combination of sugar and corn syrup. If the sugar was brown, the corn syrup was light and if the sugar was white, the syrup was dark. I picked the dark syrup/white syrup combo and am pleased with it.

The recipe hsa pecans under, in and on top of the filling. I guess I could also put some in the crust... ;)

Just got back from a trip in the way back machine & have a question....
Mister Andy, how do you keep your ground pecans from becoming a paste in a food processor?
TIA,
Donna
ANDY M's PECAN PIE

1 Piecrust of your choice
3 Eggs
1 C Dark Corn Syrup
2/3 C Sugar
Pinch Salt
6 Tb Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2 C Pecan Halves

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Prepare the piecrust and place it into a 9” deep-dish pie plate. Shape the edge decoratively. Chill.

Mix the eggs, syrup, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and ground pecans in a bowl.

Spread the chopped pecans on the piecrust.

Pour the liquid mixture on top of the chopped pecans.

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until firm.

Cool before serving.

Donna. I use the pulse function on my food processor in short bursts. I shoot for a coarse grind rather than a fine grind.

I usually use the Karo syrup recipe. Last year I tried a recipe with maple syrup and while it tasted good, it never really thickened up like usual. Followed the recipe exactly without substitutions or omissions so not sure if the maple syrup was to blame. Probably was since I used REAL syrup and not the maple flavored corn syrup sold most commonly in grocery stores. Andy's recipe sounds great ans will try it this year. Pecan pie is Dad's favorite so we have it every Thansgiving along with the traditional pumpkin and usually a third kind that changes each year depending on what new pie recipe I want to try!

Thank you Andy.
I was hoping you had the secret to keep a fine grind from becoming pecan paste. lol.
donna

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom