Pecan Shortbread Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just made a similar recipe with potatoe chips that are crushed and added the cookies are just delicious.If you would like the recipe I'll post just let me know.
kades

Yummy! Thank you so much for the recipe. I have been wanting to make cookies with some brown sugar in them since I have so much of it, and I LOVE pecans so this is perfect.

This is almost identical to my grandma's recipe for pecan balls (I'm getting the impression that my grandma was too lazy to some things). I've added dried cranberries to it.

I have some savory shortbread recipes where rosemary or lavender seeds are used. But not with brown sugar. Since we are on the topic...I'll pull the recipes and post as soon as I meet my deadline this week if anyone is interested. TaxLady, you probably would like these.

This is almost identical to my grandma's recipe for pecan balls (I'm getting the impression that my grandma was too lazy to some things). I've added dried cranberries to it.

I have some savory shortbread recipes where rosemary or lavender seeds are used. But not with brown sugar. Since we are on the topic...I'll pull the recipes and post as soon as I meet my deadline this week if anyone is interested. TaxLady, you probably would like these.

I'm always interested in savory ideas.:pig:

I'm always interested in savory ideas.:pig:

Veering off a bit, have you ever had a savory ice pop? :ermm: I have not -- heard about them but really can't imagine how they taste and am really curious.

Your shortbread cookies do sound like a Christmas favorite, Russian Teacakes, but quicker and easier than rolling all those little balls.

Basically, use your favorite shortbread recipe (mine happens to be the one on the corn starch box). I reduce the sugar by about 2 T when I make savory shortbread. For lavender ones: I add 2-3 tsp lavender flowers/seeds. I use the seeds and crush them in my mortar-and-pestal. I usually add about 2-3 tsp of fresh lemon zest.You could add the leaves, I don't. Rosemary: I add about 2-3 T of fresh chopped rosemary. I sometimes add about 2-3 T of dry parmasean cheese. Sage-pecan: I add 2 T chopped fresh sage and 1/2 - 3/4 c finely chopped pecans. I generally shape the dough in a roll, chill it, and then slice it. I always bake on parchment paper. Easy-peasy. The lavender ones are not for everyone, but I like them. I have also made chilpolte pepper shortbreads where I subbed out some of the flour for corn meal and added cheese. They were also very, very good.

I'm just a rudimentary cook and baker, but when I've done these shortbreads, they've been a hit.

Last edited:
Basically, use your favorite shortbread recipe (mine happens to be the one on the corn starch box). I reduce the sugar by about 2 T when I make savory shortbread. For lavender ones: I add 2-3 tsp lavender flowers/seeds. I use the seeds and crush them in my mortar-and-pestal. I usually add about 2-3 tsp of fresh lemon zest.You could add the leaves, I don't. Rosemary: I add about 2-3 T of fresh chopped rosemary. I sometimes add about 2-3 T of dry parmasean cheese. Sage-pecan: I add 2 T chopped fresh sage and 1/2 - 3/4 c finely chopped pecans. I generally shape the dough in a roll, chill it, and then slice it. I always bake on parchment paper. Easy-peasy. The lavender ones are not for everyone, but I like them. I have also made chilpolte pepper shortbreads where I subbed out some of the flour for corn meal and added cheese. They were also very, very good.

I'm just a rudimentary cook and baker, but when I've done these shortbreads, they've been a hit.

Yum, the Rosemary ones sound great. I'll look for lavender at the Farmer's Market. Thanks!

Veering off a bit, have you ever had a savory ice pop? :ermm: I have not -- heard about them but really can't imagine how they taste and am really curious.

Your shortbread cookies do sound like a Christmas favorite, Russian Teacakes, but quicker and easier than rolling all those little balls.

Never tried one...but now I'm intrigued!

PF--I assume you are going to look for lavender plants. Mine have come back for....10 years. I am in Zone 4/5. I added "buy lavender" to my shopping list now that I'm using it more in cooking. And, I've had no success trying to propagate it or grow it from seed.

PF--I assume you are going to look for lavender plants. Mine have come back for....10 years. I am in Zone 4/5. I added "buy lavender" to my shopping list now that I'm using it more in cooking. And, I've had no success trying to propagate it or grow it from seed.

No, not plants. Just some cuttings to dry for the flowers. I'm still in an apartment.:)

Lavender does grow well as a pot flower. I used to dig mine up and bring it in for the winter, until I realized it overwintered.

After I read your post, PF, I thought--FRENCH TARRAGON would be nice in shortbread cookies!!!!

Who's going to share the savory pops recipe? I'm interested,

Sorry, I don't have a recipe -- it's still just a new idea I heard about. Maybe, in order to flush out some recipes, savory popsicles deserve a new thread, but I don't know how to start one.... :rolleyes:

On second thought, the watermelon ones are looking pretty good, but they aren't really savory now are they?

TinLizzie,
I am not good at making all of those little balls either so I invested in a #40, orchid disher to scoop them out with. It helps keep them the same size and speeds up the process.

B

I can't wait to try the cookies. I missed this thread when it first got started. I am glad someone brought it back to life. Now it is copied and pasted. Thanks! :)

TinLizzie,
I am not good at making all of those little balls either so I invested in a #40, orchid disher to scoop them out with. It helps keep them the same size and speeds up the process.

B

Forgive my ignorance, but are we talking ice cream scoopers here?

Back
Top Bottom