Peel a Head of Garlic Quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if one of those twirling salad dryers would work just as well (or better?) - gotta try.

I'm thinking it is the smashed garlic crashing into each other that separates the skin. I'll bet if a clove doesn't have the skin already loosened from the smash, exposing the stickniess, it won't be peeled. We need someone to use glass bowls and give us a frame by frame :)

Unbelievable.
And what is left is dry toes you can work with. Not sticky at all.
I used a couple bowls about 8" in diameter. Smashed a head. Shook. Picked them out. It's like picking Spanish peanuts out of their red skins. This is about the neatest kitchen tip I have ever seen :chef:

Attachments

• peeled garlic.jpg
    peeled garlic.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 209
Thank Steve. I will never buy another jar of minced garlic again for making multiple fatties again! I thought there would be some hang up, like the skins sticking to the bowl... something, but it just plain works.
Do you need some garlic? lol

Unbelievable.
And what is left is dry toes you can work with. Not sticky at all.
I used a couple bowls about 8" in diameter. Smashed a head. Shook. Picked them out. It's like picking Spanish peanuts out of their red skins. This is about the neatest kitchen tip I have ever seen :chef:

That is sweet. I'd about stopped using fresh garlic because of it being a PITA to peel.

I will have to try this! SIL sent some nice garlic home with us. Thanks for the report, Pac!

...it just plain works.
Do you need some garlic? lol
This is where I ended up as well. I had so much fun doing it that I now have several heads of peeled garlic to deal with. I put them in the fridge in some olive oil. I love garlic, so I'm sure it will be used up quickly enough.

Hmm, wish I had known this when I was at culinary school. About twice a week we were told as a class when there was nothing to do, to peel and de-vein a whole basket full of garlic. We always wondered where it all went......until we made it out of training kitchen into the restaurant kitchen and we had all this prepared garlic waiting for us! :LOL:

I had pretty much stopped using fresh garlic too, but this method might just make me convert back!! Awesome!

I wonder if an 8 inch heavy duty paper plate over an 8 inch bowl would work, otherwise I will have to go buy another bowl to fit over mine. I might have a metal pot lid that would work.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I wonder if an 8 inch heavy duty paper plate over an 8 inch bowl would work, otherwise I will have to go buy another bowl to fit over mine. I might have a metal pot lid that would work.

Or a large Tupperware container with a cover? Or pot with a lid- I'm probably going to use my pressure cooker so the lid doesn't go flying ;)

I have to have something fairly light, my shoulders don't work well anymore, too heavy and I wouldn't be able to shake it even once.

Oh great! I tried this and my recipe called for one small clove of peeled garlic. Looks like a big Italian feast for one tonight. :chef:

Thank you for the independent confirmation.

I wonder if there is a difference in different materials for the bowl? Stainless vs plastic vs whatever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom