Peeling potatoes without a peeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
Seems very impractical to me. Scoring it and boiling it whole for 15 minutes?

You could peel it in 60 seconds without much effort. Using a much smaller carbon footprint too.

Selkie

Executive Chef
That's neat!!! BUT it still doesn't answer the age old question:

How are you supposed to fold a bed sheet with fitted corners? :LOL:

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Peel potatoes? You're supposed to do that?:LOL: Picked up one of these
images
a while back and use it to scrub to death potatoes and carrots. DH hasn't complained, so I guess it hasn't been a problem. My sis-in-law and her hubby haven't complained because she doesn't have to cook and he's getting a nice, home-cooked meal. I've resorted to peeling only when the potato shows green.;)

JamesS

Senior Cook
Mary Ann is holding up pretty well. I was so in love with her in the seventies.

My first job working in a "real" kitchen was at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC. Really odd kitchen in that it was huge and served five different restaurants ranging from almost institutional cafeteria food to fine dining. They had a potato peeler that was a big drum with an inverted cone with a sandpaper like coating inside. Water was pumped through it, twenty or thirty pounds of potatoes added to the top, the cone would spin and literally sand the peels off of the potatoes. Russets would come out looking like New potatoes. I asked the business manager about it one day, and was told that potatoes were cheaper than labor.

tzakiel

Cook
You don't boil it in order to peel it... the point is, you can boil it (to cook it) and then peel it after cooking easily. I do this with whole batches of potatoes and it saves a ton of time. Assuming you want to boil the potatoes in the first place, this is the way to go.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Top Bottom