Pepper/Salt Mill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, andy. me and you both. thank god for some reason in denmark.

i've been looking for a good, small peppermill with a ceramic grinder. all of the grinders i've owned had metal (even ss) grinders that rusted.

can anyone recommend a decent ceramic grind peppermill?
I accidentally came across this peppermill/salt grinder and thought of you because it comes with "powerful ceramic gears". It's Danish. :rolleyes:

Amazon.com: Bodum Bistro Salt and Pepper Grinder, Red: Salt And Pepper Mills: Kitchen & Dining

It comes in several colours.

Last edited:
Well after reading many reviews and doing research i dont' think the expensive Peugeot Chateauneuf are any better than the pepper magnum. Sure they look a heck of a lot more classy but i see to many complaints to justify spending that much on a salt/pepper mill. Performance wise the pepper magnum is a BEAST. I think i'm just going to get the matching salt mill and be happy.

Hello Everyone. Quick question for you all. I am looking to purchase a Salt / Pepper mill.

I currently have a pepper magnum. While its a fine pepper grinder it does have few flaws. The first being its ugly at sin. I don't mind if most cases but when we are entertaining it would be nice to have a nice looking pepper grinder. It also doesn't grind as fine as i would like. Its also a little tricky to refill. Set adjustments would also be a nice touch rather than twisting a little tighter/looser by trial & error to get the grind you want

I don't have a salt grinder. I use kosher salt in a generic spice bottle i used that look really bad. A nice matching set would be nice

I'm looking at purchasing maybe a Peugeot Chateauneuf set in wild cherry.

So where are my questions:

1. I don't recall seeing grinder salt (to be honest i'm not sure the exact salt to buy). Is it easy to find or is it something you will most likely have to special order off the internet?

2. Can you give me an idea of what type of salt will work?

thanks...
Any sort of coarse grained salt. Sea salt is popular over here (because everywhere is relatively close to the sea) - Maldon Salt from the Essex coast, Halen Mon from Anglesey or just bog standard Costa which is either French or Spanish and cheaper than the rest (comes in coarse and fine). I've got some Kosher salt but it's too fine for my grinder but it may come in coarser grades where you are. The only thing to bear in mind with Kosher salt is that it isn't iodised so if your water supply doesn't contain iodine naturally and the water company doesn't add it you may need to bear that in mind.

Well after reading many reviews and doing research i dont' think the expensive Peugeot Chateauneuf are any better than the pepper magnum. Sure they look a heck of a lot more classy but i see to many complaints to justify spending that much on a salt/pepper mill. Performance wise the pepper magnum is a BEAST. I think i'm just going to get the matching salt mill and be happy.
I'm not easily impressed by gadgets used by chefs on television but after years of fighting with the "traditional" tall pepper mills, I REALLY want one of these

http://www.amazon.com/PepperMate-723W-Pepper-Mill-White/dp/B000JTI5PO

but sadly they are extortionately expensive in the UK

I buy course sea salt. It works fine in my salt grinder. For my table shaker, I use the fine sea salt. :angel:

It didn't look it when she used it on Food Network. She ground quite a lot of pepper too.

Were her hands much younger than yours? No way can I turn a knob like that. It is one of the reasons they don't have door knobs in our apartments. All doors are opened with pressure handles or pull ones on cabinets. When arthritis hits the fingers, there is no way you can grab a knob of any kind. :angel:

Were her hands much younger than yours? No way can I turn a knob like that. It is one of the reasons they don't have door knobs in our apartments. All doors are opened with pressure handles or pull ones on cabinets. When arthritis hits the fingers, there is no way you can grab a knob of any kind. :angel:
No, I believe she's a couple of years older! The handle is bigger than it looks on the photo and appears to be pretty easy to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom