Peppermint Extract Vodka Substitutes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mady

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new to this website so I'm not sure how to ask for help.
I'm trying to make peppermint extract and I wanted to make it without vodka. I heard that a good substitute was food-grade liquid glycerin. I cant find it in the grocery stores near me though, and I kind of don't want to order it because it would take long. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find it? Or if anyone has suggestions on other good vodka substitutes for making peppermint extracts that would be great.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Mady. Have you tried your local pharmacies for food grade glycerin? It's worth a shot.

Back when I was doing more home brewing of beer & wine, I got my glycerine at the Pharmacy. Just tell the Pharmacist what you are doing and they will find a solution for you.

Home brewed wines often have a bit of glycerine added to soften them to the taste. Called a "glycerine finish".

You may even ask the Pharmacist about making a "non-tincture" peppermint extract and learn what he/she offers. I'm guessing you will be asked if an artificial flavor base would do. Ethanol alcohol tinctures are most common. Like the flavoring extracts you see at the grocery stores.
They are anywhere from 25% to 60% alcohol.

Using Vodka will depend on the proof spirit of the Vodka. Two Proof equals one percent. So an 80 proof Vodka would be a 40% alcohol/60% water solution.

Water based solutions aren't common because water can't achieve the same results as a tincture. The alcohol is an organic solvent more capable of absorbing the essential oils of the substance you are wanting to make an extract of.

If fresh leaves aren't accessible, schnapps is a great substitute for peppermint extract in alcoholic cocktails. To substitute one teaspoon of extract, use three teaspoons of peppermint schnapps. In beverages and sweets, peppermint schnapps works well as a substitute for peppermint extract. I am not using any of them though, because I gave up on alcohol entirely. It was a hard path, but using all the tips from https://www.theluckiestclub.com/resources/how-to-remain-in-sobriety-after-dry-january made it much easier for me.

Back
Top Bottom