Peppers, peppers, and more peppers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it turns out I probably won’t be enjoying freshly roasted Hatch chiles this season. The supermarket that is most active on promoting them only sells them in big boxes of 25 pounds that they’ll roast on-site for you all for only $19.99 USD. Now, I think that’s a great price. But even if I followed every single piece of advice on this thread, I still wouldn’t be done with them! And never having tried them, knowingly, why would I buy such an abundance if there was a chance I didn’t like them?

I’ll try the non-Hatch Anaheims. (Or I could ask the produce manager if a few ever “”fall” out of the boxes, and does he put them on the shelf...)

You can order them online five pounds or more.

GG, Thank you for the link. I asked my friends - all grow their own vegetables and preserve a lot. When winter comes, they still have vegetables to go through according to the seasons as I'm sure you do as well. I don't know whether or not you have neighbours and/friends who do the same, so you would be pretty busy. The thing is, their recipes are close family secrets, so although I've done some bottling, and we haven't died yet - or been taken to hospital -(a bit tongue in cheek of me to say that.

Anyway, let me get on about preserving in oil. One of my friends must have taken pity on me. Instead of been watching me struggling and making an ass of mysef, I've actually had a response. Too late. I read your advice instead.
What I learned so far is you CAN bottle in oil, provided the proportions are 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Thank you for your help. Now I can get on doing things.

For many years now, I've bottled peaches and other fruit. I pack the fruit in jars, add the necessary amount of of sugar, put the jars in a cauldron of water, like my friends do, and they've always come out absolutely fine.

Thanks for inspiration!

di reston

Enough isnever as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

In the United States, it's not considered a safe practice to bottle or can items with garlic in oil. It's almost impossible to kill all the botulinum spores that way.
The recommendation in the UK is that the garlic should be heat treated - roasted or heated in the oil it's going to be preserved in to a specific temperature. It's way after 2am and I'm too tired to investigate the details on line. Sorry.

GG, Thank you for the link. I asked my friends - all grow their own vegetables and preserve a lot. When winter comes, they still have vegetables to go through according to the seasons as I'm sure you do as well. I don't know whether or not you have neighbours and/friends who do the same, so you would be pretty busy. The thing is, their recipes are close family secrets, so although I've done some bottling, and we haven't died yet - or been taken to hospital -(a bit tongue in cheek of me to say that.

Anyway, let me get on about preserving in oil. One of my friends must have taken pity on me. Instead of been watching me struggling and making an ass of mysef, I've actually had a response. Too late. I read your advice instead.
What I learned so far is you CAN bottle in oil, provided the proportions are 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Thank you for your help. Now I can get on doing things.

For many years now, I've bottled peaches and other fruit. I pack the fruit in jars, add the necessary amount of of sugar, put the jars in a cauldron of water, like my friends do, and they've always come out absolutely fine.

Thanks for inspiration!

di reston

Enough isnever as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Well done you! I once tried my hand a bottling fruit - pears from a friend's tree and apples off mum's trees. Followed the instructions to the nth degree. Then the problem arose. There I was with three dozen filled and sealed Kilner jars of goodies and then it struck me - where the hell was I going to store them? I didn't have a garage, I no longer lived in the house which had a cellar and all my cupboards were choca-block full of other stuff! People I'd known for years started avoiding me in the street for fear I would press yet another jar of fruit on them!

Okay, here is a photo of one of my Teenage Mutant Ninja Cayenne peppers. I'm thinking the seeds were developed at Fukushima.

CD

Attachments

• _DSC4680.jpg
    _DSC4680.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom