Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate pop ups on my cell phone. I just lost twenty minutes of work, both in a thread I was pisting about how food enjoyment is enhance by proper temperature, and the, another 5 minutes worth of work in the petty vents thread. I just started over in yhe petty vents thread. A music video popped up, without me touching anything. So annoying. Any typos are going to be missed, because, as I type this, pop ups hide most of my text. I need to use my laptop, instead of my phone. It's a way better ecperience.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, there's a free app for smartphones that is much easier to use than the browser interface. Look for the Discuss Cooking app in the app store for the type of phone you have.

Eating contests that involve vast amounts of food. There is a hot dog eating contest on July 4th and the winner gagged down 60-some hot dogs. There are chili eating contests won by someone who has absolutely no palate left.

First, it is an insult to food, which should be enjoyed and savored, not crammed down one's gullet. Second, with the high incidence of obesity in the USA, it encourages overeating. And third, it is nauseating.
Vent over, I'll go eat a small salad now . . . .

Marlin, you are absoluuutly right! Think I made the same vent long ago.

Along side all you've pointed out is that it is outright dangerous! I believe a person died (England?) in a hot chili eating contest.

11 year old grandson argues with me every time I remind him of required chores. I back up what I say referencing what his mother says. He then argued that she didn't say that. I challenged him to call his mom, as basically he's calling me a liar. His response to my challenge, " I can't because I have to do my chores. He has been told numerous times that he has to oney me when his Mom & Dad are at work. If I'd have argued with my parents, or grandparents the way he does, let's just say that I would have regreted it
Slaps in the face, or soap in the mouth is not pleasant. But I can't do that here as I would be overstepping my bounds. It just gets old! Maybe the next time he wants me to drive him somewhere, I'll just say no.

Being an only child, my folks didn't have the opportunity to apply pressure thru siblings. However, I was sent to spend summers with cousins in Texas. Big families down in Texas. Well, bigger than mine...LOL. 2 kids, 4 kids, 6 kids...and I spent time with each of them. In the larger families, I remember that everyone was treated equal...and equally responsible too! So, brothers and sisters made sure that everyone, including me, were doing things and getting things done, on time, etc. Otherwise, everyone was lined up and held responsible. Sure, the younger kids had fewer "responsibilities," I don't think they called them chores, but it was a long time ago. And the older kids had "responsibilities" that might include caring for the younger ones. From mealtime, to feeding livestock, to getting everyone ready for bed or ready for church on Sunday. And we looked forward to dessert rewards or shopping trips, going to the swimming pool, and so on. We didn't want to miss out on those things! We helped each other!

I don't recall the ages of your grandkids and don't know how the above might apply...but I have fond memories of summertime in Texas...and it just came to mind.

Good luck! Having just spent a week with a 12-year-old on our camping trip, I think I get the picture!

Last edited:
I just spent 1.5 to 2 hours respooling my spare fly reel spare spool.:( I wound the backing, fly line, leader, and tippet on for a right hand retrieve. I retrieve left handed:angry:. What a chore that was, with multiple bird's nests to untangle. I need a nap!

I just spent 1.5 to 2 hours respooling my spare fly reel spare spool.:( I wound the backing, fly line, leader, and tippet on for a right hand retrieve. I retrieve left handed:angry:. What a chore that was, with multiple bird's nests to untangle. I need a nap!

Ouch, Chief! I hope you enjoy a nice nap! I'm on my way to Mom's. She says the fridge isn't making ice. Just had that overhauled on 8/5/21 -- and it cost a pretty penny! Sigh. :(

Ginny, I hope the fix on your Mom's ice maker is noth inecpendive, and essy.

Thanks, Chief! There was a big ball of ice cubes in it. Dumped that. It looks like everything is working. I asked her if she might have left it ajar or something. She says not. She does keep her house between 74 and 77 degrees. Knock on wood and all that, we will see?

Our freezer ice bin is in one of the fresh food doors. (We have a French door style.) The ice dumps all across the bin, but comes out the shoot in the middle. Sometimes the ice on the outside edges will get stuck, so I take the bin out of the door and give it a good shake every time that happens.

Ginny, we were both blessed today. You Mom's freezer was an easy fix. For me, I am happy to report that I just test cast my new Airflow 6 wt. floating line with universal taper, with a 14 size caddis dry fly tied on. This line casts short, accurate casts, and shoots effortlessly, no double haul required. The fly turned over beautifully, and landed like a dandelion seed. After all the hassle, I have a dry fly, nymph setup, and a weighted streamer set up, both of which work extremely well. And the CTS rod, well it's pure joy. I am again a happy man.

Our freezer ice bin is in one of the fresh food doors. (We have a French door style.) The ice dumps all across the bin, but comes out the shoot in the middle. Sometimes the ice on the outside edges will get stuck, so I take the bin out of the door and give it a good shake every time that happens.

Mom is 87. Sigh.

Ginny, we were both blessed today. You Mom's freezer was an easy fix. For me, I am happy to report that I just test cast my new Airflow 6 wt. floating line with universal taper, with a 14 size caddis dry fly tied on. This line casts short, accurate casts, and shoots effortlessly, no double haul required. The fly turned over beautifully, and landed like a dandelion seed. After all the hassle, I have a dry fly, nymph setup, and a weighted streamer set up, both of which work extremely well. And the CTS rod, well it's pure joy. I am again a happy man.

I'm so glad it works! After all that work!! Someone is looking out for us! ;)

Automatic Ice Makers, especially ones with access on the front of the door, need to be used constantly. Every couple of days ice should be removed, otherwise it jams up in the 'chute'.

The chute is slightly warmer (duh... the door is there! :LOL:) so ice just sitting there for a long time will start to melt into each other.

I take ice out daily, dragn. I think the problem is the design of the bin. Cubes drop from the middle of the bin straight through to my cup. Because there is a bit of ice melt, the perimeter cubes are stuck together just enough so that they don't fill the empty center. There is nothing to push cubes to the center. Hence, I do the shake-shake-shake every couple of days. Works for me.

Just got my order from Walmart feliveted. It's missing yje lasagna noodles
Npw, I'm going to have to make the sheets grom scratch. Rolling them out with a rolling pin. Maybe I"ll make canoli instead of lasagna.

Aww, shucky darns, Chief! How annoying!

But, hey! I got 2 boxes in the basement.

Meet me down at the back garden fence in about 1/2 an hour. Do you want just one or both?

Back
Top Bottom