Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HOA is a Home Owners Association, usually governed by a board elected by the homeowners in a "gated community" at least here in Texas. A gated community is just that--usually higher-end homes and the entrance and egress is through a gate. There are all kinds of restrictions imposed on homeowners--no parking in the driveway, no fences over a certain height, etc. The restrictions vary from "community" to "community".
One lady was bragging about living in a gated community until I pointed out the Huntsville Texas state prison was a gated community.

SO and I live in a town house style condo. There are multiple buildings with 1-4 units per building. It is managed by a Board of Trustees and a Property Manager. We have rules and regulations that are designed to maintain a pleasant neighborhood and keep property values up for the residents.

All that said, it's all in the administration of the rules. A board can be rigid and harsh or relaxed and pleasant. I've been on the Board of Trustees for over 20 years as the association's treasurer and have helped transition the board from harsh to mellow for the residents. I'm happy to see kids drawing in chalk on the sidewalks and playing outside shouting and having fun.

If the rules are oppressive, join the board and try to change them. Support board candidates who feel as you do. Most of all, take a minute to read the rules and regulations and talk to current residents BEFORE you buy a home. If the residents seem happy to be there that's a good sign.

I am not in a gated community. Ours is a historic neighborhood. My issue is that one must obtain approval to do any work outside. For example, when I replaced my slate roof with slate, I had to submit an application to the architectural review committee. It was being replaced "like for like." A tree that has died and is rotten? A request for proof that it cannot be saved must be submitted. Recently my crumbling 70 yr old steps that lead to my home had to be repaired. The damage was far beyond a simple repair, but again the architectural committee requests schematics, drawings, and everything including materials used before the work is to be started. They have rules for everything from acceptable paint colors to what kinds of windows we must use. It is a mixed bag as I do appreciate that our neighbors won't paint their home atomic tangerine with purple daisies, but....the rest is silly....especially when replacing like with like. I could understand submitting something if the structure was going to experience a change .....but a new roof is essentially a repair imho....especially when replacing like with like. Yanno?

I've passed on buying more than 1 house due to the HOA rules. One place allowed only 2 dogs, but you could have a dozen chickens! While I generally have/want only 2 dogs, I do Corgi rescue and will foster the rescue for a time...and I've been known to have 3 dogs for a short period of time too. Another place was so perfect, except for the HOA's. One had to request permission to fly a flag. I said, surely not the U.S. flag...and they said, yes, that one too. What???

I've passed on buying more than 1 house due to the HOA rules. One place allowed only 2 dogs, but you could have a dozen chickens! While I generally have/want only 2 dogs, I do Corgi rescue and will foster the rescue for a time...and I've been known to have 3 dogs for a short period of time too. Another place was so perfect, except for the HOA's. One had to request permission to fly a flag. I said, surely not the U.S. flag...and they said, yes, that one too. What???
I understand your frustration. We have a rule that there is a two pet limit and a 30 pound limit per pet. We allow exceptions for service animals. Our buildings are close together and the town has a leash law so managing too many or too big pets can be an issue.

We didn't allow residents to attach anything the the building siding. But when asked, we made an exception for American flags. It's possible to work with a HOA or condo board. Some are understanding and flexible. But they have to consider the ramifications of making an exception. "If you can do it, why can't I".

We bought a home and lived in a village with many historic homes. Ours dated from 1870, and we were told that we couldn't do this or that, but it all turned out to be "their ideas" and not the truth. Ours was a case of people who didn't know what they were talking about. There were no restrictions, but if there had been, we would have known about it before we bought.
Caveat emptor. . . .

I understand your frustration. We have a rule that there is a two pet limit and a 30 pound limit per pet. We allow exceptions for service animals. Our buildings are close together and the town has a leash law so managing too many or too big pets can be an issue.

We didn't allow residents to attach anything the the building siding. But when asked, we made an exception for American flags. It's possible to work with a HOA or condo board. Some are understanding and flexible. But they have to consider the ramifications of making an exception. "If you can do it, why can't I".
I'm talking about homes on acreage....

We live in an HOA. The neighbors in it with us. We make the rules by vote. We have no rules except, there is a 1-acre piece of land in it that is vacant, for the future--whatever is decided. For instance, it might become a playground, but there are costs involved so we don't have one. It may at some point become a community garden. The Official positions on the board of the HOA are not paid positions, they are volunteer and by vote. Our only costs were to have an attorney look over the vacant lot and set parameters/contract for a farmer to use it for 'whatever'. For the past 30 years it's been corn or cover crops, anything to keep the weeds at bay. There are also costs for copying the minutes, announcing the meetings, and distributing them to all the homes in the HOA. The last time I paid a fee to the HOA before they got their stuff together was 20 years ago. The money in the treasury hasn't been spent out in all those years. Last I heard we're doing the same thing again, an HOA without a cause and we like that.

I was the President of the HOA for our little community of 260ish homes in a much bigger developed community for years. I was also the Secretary of the master HOA of over 3500 homes. It always amazed me when homeowners would come to meetings with problems because they claimed to not realize they were buying into a HOA (they signed papers at closing acknowledging it) or claiming they didn't know the rules (they had to acknowledge receiving them at closing). There were 17 communities in the master HOA. Of the ones whose board members that I was close to, about half, none of them were Nazi/nosy Nellies type of communities. The master was not like that either. I don't know about the others.

HOAs keep the property values up because you won't see a yard full of junk, way overgrown grass or hedges, outrageous paint colors, garbage cans left out for days, Christmas or other holiday decorations left up for months or even year round, etc.

Our little HOA bent over backwards to keep residents informed and involved, putting up a website and delivering monthly or bimonthly newsletters to each home. But, other than the board, we rarely had a homeowner show up to the monthly meetings at the clubhouse IN our community. The master HOA also met at a location in tge large community. Other than the board, we'd have 5 to 20 of the same people show up regularly, that's out of 3500+ homes remember.

We had paint colors and a link to Sherwin Williams on the web site, as well as the forms to get approval prior to painting. Yet, we had a homeowner paint her house Pepto-Bismal pink, no approval requested, and she was an original homeowner, as Craig and i were, meaning we built new. Now, we did have a pink paint scheme (remember this was South Florida), but it was a pale pink trending just slightly toward the rose spectrum. She knew she was supposed to get approval, but didn't and then got mad because she had to repaint or start being fined weekly for leaving it as is. Her house was a joke around the neighborhood with everyone calling it the Pepto house.

I will say NEVER EVER buy into a community with an HOA that has a community pool and/or playground. The community has to buy liability insurance, which is extremely expensive, but also, if there is an accident with injury or death, EVERY homeowner of the HOA is liable for any judgment or expenses over the cost of the liability insurance cap. In other words, you could potentially lose your home because of an injury or death that you had nothing to do with.

<<I understand your frustration. We have a rule that there is a two pet limit and a 30 pound limit per pet. We allow exceptions for service animals. Our buildings are close together and the town has a leash law so managing too many or too big pets can be an issue.>>
You know, my dogs wouldn't be allowed...same for most Corgis...and probably a lot of dwarf breeds...and who the heck can say no to a Corgi!? I mean...

IMG_3842.jpg

Cadie, the smaller one, shouldn't be 30 pounds, but DH is a soft touch! Stanley, well, there's no getting around it, he is large. Larger than standard, but he is NOT fat. Last time his breeder saw him, she said he looks good, but if he gained a pound, he would still be a good weight. Stanley is considerably over 30 pounds. But we love him anyway...and would not have known that he would grow to be his size, when we first brought him home....

9.JPG10.JPG

Puppy!

I am not in a gated community. Ours is a historic neighborhood. My issue is that one must obtain approval to do any work outside...
We have been frequent visitors to Colonial Williamsburg over the decades (time for another trip, I do believe...). The first few times we were there I would think that it would be nice to live there. That was until we talked to one of the modern residents. After they told us about restrictions as to house colors, visible yard plantings, even the style of curtain windows and placement of window candles and seasonal decorations - well, let's just say that while I do not consider myself a rule breaker, I certainly would have been a rule breaker. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom