Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Follow up:

I spoke to the lady in the office just now, and she told me not to worry about it: They will take care of it.

I'm still shaking from having to repeat everything, but I'll be okay once I calm down.

Thanks so very much for the emotional support.

(((hugs)))

It sounds like it was worrying you more than you realized. I have heard a theory that you should repeat the story until the words no longer have an emotional impact on you.

I'm glad the office is going to take care of it for you.

Still keep your guard up, but don't let it ruin your peace. Make sure you do a follow up with the woman in the office in about a week. Call up your inner strengh. And take some deep breaths. Good Luck. :)

Follow up:

I spoke to the lady in the office just now, and she told me not to worry about it: They will take care of it.

I'm still shaking from having to repeat everything, but I'll be okay once I calm down.

These things are always unsettling but, you are doing the right thing!

I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said "what one has to do usually can be done"

Follow up:

I'm so glad you have reported this thing. Over the years, I've had two times that someone got weird like that on me. Both times, I sat the person down and had a heart to heart talk with them about it. Both times, I never saw the person again. My way only works if you can back it up with physical action. Your way of handling it was the wisest.

I'm so glad you have reported this thing. Over the years, I've had two times that someone got weird like that on me. Both times, I sat the person down and had a heart to heart talk with them about it. Both times, I never saw the person again. My way only works if you can back it up with physical action. Your way of handling it was the wisest.

Wise advice. :chef:

Good advice.

As I stated before, I have been there, done that. Do not wish to repeat it ever again. And I can still get upset when I hear of someone else going through it. It can take over your whole life. Our stalker is still locked up in a mental institution. My granddaughter was 17 at the time and now in her mid 30's with three children. Even she gets upset when she thiniks about it. This is something that does not leave you. :)

So I am sitting here with the TV on and not paying much attention to what they are showing. And then one of those ads for a new glucometer comes on stating that you no longer have to prick your finger. You can now do it on your arm. These people are just hawking their merchandise. They are not medical folks. Yet they are giving out medical advice.

I questioned my doctor about this practice of doing it on the arm. He told me, "The nearer the finger, the more accurate the reading." Now I know pricking the finger hurts. So I do mine on the cushions at the bottom of the fingers. One day I decided to test this. So I did a reading from my finger directly. Then I did one on my arm. There was a 15 point difference. And guess which one was lower. You guessed it. The arm. Fifteen points is a big difference. If your finger show 195 and your arm show 180, you are lulled into thinking you are in the safe zone. And you adjust our diet for the day accordingly.

Why hasn't the FDA picked up on this? They are giving medical advice. One of my pet peeves. :ermm:

So I am sitting here with the TV on and not paying much attention to what they are showing. And then one of those ads for a new glucometer comes on stating that you no longer have to prick your finger. You can now do it on your arm. These people are just hawking their merchandise. They are not medical folks. Yet they are giving out medical advice.

I questioned my doctor about this practice of doing it on the arm. He told me, "The nearer the finger, the more accurate the reading." Now I know pricking the finger hurts. So I do mine on the cushions at the bottom of the fingers. One day I decided to test this. So I did a reading from my finger directly. Then I did one on my arm. There was a 15 point difference. And guess which one was lower. You guessed it. The arm. Fifteen points is a big difference. If your finger show 195 and your arm show 180, you are lulled into thinking you are in the safe zone. And you adjust our diet for the day accordingly.

Why hasn't the FDA picked up on this? They are giving medical advice. One of my pet peeves. :ermm:

My Doc told me point-blank to not use anything but the finger test. He said the arm tests were notoriously inaccurate.

My Doc told me point-blank to not use anything but the finger test. He said the arm tests were notoriously inaccurate.

Like my doc said, "The nearer the finger, the more accurate the reading." After a while you build up a callous and the pain lessens. My diabetes has affected my blood flow. So I can never get enough for the strip. So I use the cusion at the bottom of the fingers.

I don't understand how these companies can get away with giving false medical information. :huh:

Maybe, when you read the actual instructions, they tell you to rub the skin first. Article on the American Diabetes Association website: Response to Jungheim and Koschinsky

I'm googling some more. I want to understand why.

It helps bring the blood to the surface.

BTW, if you drink a full glass of water prior to your testing, it also helps the blood flow.

I have been a diabetic for 25+ years. I have had my episodes and made my mistakes. Ambulance rides are not my favorite hobby. So I have learned what to do and what not to do. Unfortunately for me, my diabetes is following true to course. It loves to go after your main organs. Heart, kineys, etc. Mine has gone after my heart and circulatory system. But I have learned how to manage it. :)

I want to understand why blood sugar measurements are different from different parts of the body. I see from various forums that even results from different fingers can vary. I suspect that is mostly due to the accuracy, or lack there of, of the testing equipment.

I'm not diabetic. My mum was. My FIL is. DH and I always get tested when we have a checkup.

I want to understand why blood sugar measurements are different from different parts of the body. I see from various forums that even results from different fingers can vary. I suspect that is mostly due to the accuracy, or lack there of, of the testing equipment.

I'm not diabetic. My mum was. My FIL is. DH and I always get tested when we have a checkup.

It has to do with the blood flow. The closer to the heart, the more accurate the reading. Your little finger is the last finger on your hand to get blood flow. Therefor you will get a lower reading and not accurate. Your middle finger because it is longer, and needs more blood, is the first to get the blood and therefor more accurate. :)

Stalkers and diabetes, oh my. A good friend has a stalker and it creeps me out just knowing about it. One night we were sitting around, cozy, husband and me on a very stormy wet night in front of the TV. She (friend, not stalker) showed up like a drowned rat asking if she could come in. I gave her a towel and a glass of wine and she explained the situation. It's only a few blocks, but she knows the guy knows her car and she didn't want to lead him to our house, could she stay a few hours? I tried to get her to stay the night but once she was warmed inside and out and dry, we bundled her in our car and made a few passes through her neighborhood to see that his car had left. Then watched 'til she was inside and made sure no one suspicious was hanging around and called her when we got home. The guy actually followed her from another city where she'd lived all her life. What helps her is that we're a small town and everyone knows her and watches out for him. I guess some mentally unbalanced men actually cannot take no for an answer.

My husband was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, borderline, about 5 years ago. He went to a dietician who specialized in diabetes control. I'm so proud of him. I told him I'd cook whatever he wants, but he has to do the math, I'm terrible at it. I now do have it in my little walnut brain that for him it is 2 meals a day of 30 grams, one at 60, and several 15 grams snacks spaced throughout the day. Most -- heck, all -- men I know simply leave it to their wives and then are bitter and resentful to said wife that they can't eat what they want, when they want it. Husband took control of his own health and his doctor said, "If I hadn't diagnosed you myself I wouldn't believe it." Since much of his family was diabetic he took the threat seriously. He assumes the monster will get him some day, but is doing his damndest to put that day off as long as possible. Meanwhile most of our friends and acquaintances who didn't have to use meds to control it.

Claire, It's great she has her friends and neighbors looking out for her. Has she gotten the police involved? They really should know about it so when she has to call they'll already know the situation.

A vent that's probably been aired, but not recently, what is the deal with ginormous (good grief, that's actually a word?) packaging. I mean even local grocery stores are carrying stuff in sizes you'd normally see at warehouse food clubs. We are childless, and no longer live near our families. Sometimes I'll get a taste for something and .... have to buy enough to feed a family of 8. I know it isn't a family of six, because I was raised cooking for 6 and we didn't buy that much stuff. Especially junk food, which I generally am not a fan of, but once in awhile I want a few bites. Luckily my local cheesecake baker has started selling half-size cakes. Sometimes the local piggly wiggly sells half pies. But I had a taste for cheese popcorn and will throw 3/4 of the bag away. Ditto the plain corn chips I bought to make nachos with. A bag of candy? Two pieces and the rest of the bag goes into the trash. When was the last time anyone saw a roll of life-savers? Now they come in huge bags.

Claire, It's great she has her friends and neighbors looking out for her. Has she gotten the police involved? They really should know about it so when she has to call they'll already know the situation.

Oh, yes. I think she calls the police first, then slips away to one of many "safe houses" -- hence, ours that night, until she can ascertain if he's gone away. But it's one of those typical situations in that I guess he's someone whose never threatened anyone with physical harm. Just creepy and "out there".

Oh, yes. I think she calls the police first, then slips away to one of many "safe houses" -- hence, ours that night, until she can ascertain if he's gone away. But it's one of those typical situations in that I guess he's someone whose never threatened anyone with physical harm. Just creepy and "out there".

He is harming her, it is mental cruelty. She shouldn't have to wait for releif until he hurts her. Time for a restraining order and some police action.

He is harming her, it is mental cruelty. She shouldn't have to wait for releif until he hurts her. Time for a restraining order and some police action.

Think she already has the restraining order. He hasn't shown up for a couple of years now, so we're hoping he's gone!

Back
Top Bottom