Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my petty vent: I was born with two serious ailments, aging, and mortality. In my head, I can wade streams and push my way through bogs and tangles, with nettle grabbing your pant legs with every step, all the while fighting ridiculous swarms of biting, blood sucking bugs, all for the excitement of catching those wild and beautiful brookies.

In my mind, I can climb rock faces in wet tennis shoes with a fishing pole in one hand to get back to a trail. I can canoe against a 5 mph current, and avoid thousand foot lake freighter while crossing a river with a tarp, a hatchet, and frying pan, and a couple of matches to camp out for a weekend in the wilderness. I can run for miles, and bicycle all day. And roller skating, is as easy as walking.

the reality; can
t got too far away from a bathroom. Need a nap by mid-afternoon. Cant enjoy a whole bunch of foods that I used to lover, and used to love to cook. There will be no more races on plastic toboggans against kids on steep, snowy slopes I can no longer shovel through 5 feet of snow, banking the snow into eight-foot high walls in a ten foot circle, making a snow table, complete with snow chairs, so that I can have hot cocoa outside with a three year old (she was so cute that she absolutely captured your heart. I didn't have a chance). I can't go dirt biking with my kids anymore. No more climbing hair-raisingly steep hills with the back wheel of the bike dancing on the loose gravel, or dusty clay. i used to do everything, even bombing a ski slope in a straight line, from top to bottom (very fast ride on well waxed skis). And now, the most excitement I can have is to teach others the wonder and beauty of a perfect bow shot, feeling the relaxation of the fingers, letting tj\he string tension pull tje bowstring out of the tree-finger grip, knowing that the arrow knock was anchored just right, the left arm out and rigid, with the fleshy portion of the forearm pining toward th e ground, feet positioned properly, and witching the arrow sink into the bulls eye from 60 yards. I teach them how to line up the bead in the V of open sights on a pellet rifle, or how to cast with a fly rod. My excitement now is passing the memories, and trying to inspire the youth to have adventures, and to live life to the fullest, to explore, to learn, to experience, and to appreciate everything from the fractal patterns of snow flakes, to the math that explains them, to the wonderful complexity of a caterpillar, to showing how a bit of trig knowledge can help them set guy lines for tents, and hammocks. I teach them knots that will be useful to them. I teach them how to cook. In short, I am living vicariously through them.

I want my 22 year old body back, so that I can again do all of those things with them, my grand children, mu child friends, and my adult children.

Seeeeeya;
Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, at least you have the memories. You did a lot of stuff. When you get bored waiting for something, you can relive those moments and enjoy them again. (((hugs)))

Well, I read through that. Pretty straightforward for a government read! The neighbora are burning logs in the fire pit. I'm pretty sure they aren't cooking weinies or s'mores, so that should make their burn against regs. That, and the fact that they had the flames rising about 10 feet high!

Needless to say, these aren't our favorite neighbors...

OK. A/C Update:
So I first called Best Buy on Sunday 7/19/20 and was told I would get a call on Mon. 7/20/20 from the service/repair company that handles A/C units by 4 pm. I never got the call. Was told by Best Buy call repair company (gave me number) tomorrow during business hours on Tues. 7/21/20.
I called. Left message. Got call back 5 hours later and was told first available appointment was Wed. 7/29/20.
They came on 7/29/20 told me I needed a "cord". They ordered it (ETA 7/31/20) and would let me know when it came in and make an appointment.
8/4/20 part still not in.
8/12/20 got call saying part came in and set appointment for next day.
8/13/20 They came at 12:30 pm. Took 2 minutes and said they were sent the wrong part. 3 weeks of blasting heat and wrong part was sent!
One of the guys says, "You have a Home Depot close around here?".
I say "yes 5 minutes up the road".
He says, "We'll be back". And they leave.
1 1/2 hours later they came back. NOT with a cord BUT the plug that goes in the outlet. Stupid me thought the whole cord needed to be removed and replaced! It took all of MAYBE 15 minutes for them to cut and strip the wires and attach to new plug. Job done!! A/C works!! Thank you lord it's cold again and I can breathe easy again.

BUT WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY go to Home Depot 3 weeks ago and fix it during the first service call (1 week after it crappy out)?

OK rant over for now.

...I want my 22 year old body back...
Chief, I agree with taxy, that you have a lot of wonderful memories to fall back on. Some people don't have half of those experiences by the time they are your age. My Mom, who had her own share of medical issues throughout her 82 years of living, used to tell me that "you're born, you die. The more years and experiences between those two dates are what counts". It sounds like you have a lot of experience since your "born on" date. Make the best of the rest of your years even though you can't feel 22.

OK. A/C Update:...BUT WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY go to Home Depot 3 weeks ago and fix it during the first service call (1 week after it crappy out)?

OK rant over for now.
Wow, msm, I would have been hot waiting for the A/C to be fixed even if the weather hadn't been hellish. I'm glad it's working now. I guess you're personally responsible for the cooler weather that has moved in, so thank you!

And as far as the last repair crew that did fix the issue, Himself guesses that those guys took pity on you, went completely off the Best Buy manual, and decided to do that on their own. He's also guessing that when they turned in the "work complete" on your job, they may not have been paid for the work. Depends on how strict Best Buy is about playing by the rules. Those guys were on the Good Guys team. ;)

Why is it that every photo or video of an animal “talking” has them talking with poor grammar and mispronunciations? I find it extremely annoying.

Why is it that every photo or video of an animal “talking” has them talking with poor grammar and mispronunciations? I find it extremely annoying.

Because in my province they rescinded the law forcing them to school due to an example coming from the south. Simply put -
The revocation
of their education
to prevent a second indignation
of the embarkation
leading to the inauguration
and elevation
for the habitation
of their highest .... office

Because in my province they rescinded the law forcing them to school due to an example coming from the south. Simply put -
The revocation
of their education
to prevent a second indignation
of the embarkation
leading to the inauguration
and elevation
for the habitation
of their highest .... office

:LOL:

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Tyler at my bank. I tried renewing my mortgage on line, but couldn't complete it, because of technical problems at the bank. I tried a bunch of times yesterday and once today. Tyler couldn't get it to work for me. He created the documents, so he could email them to me. They didn't arrive - to three different email addresses. Then, he tried sending email to his personal account and it didn't arrive. He is working from home and his girl friend lives downstairs and does the same job at the bank. She tried sending it and I finally got it, about an hour later. It turns out that a lot of people are having trouble with the bank's email today.

He will call me back at 16:00 to make sure that it all works. My husband and I have to print and sign the document. Then I have to scan it and send it back to the bank, using their secure webmail system. I hope that is working. This has been far too stressful. It needs to get done by 23:59 tonight. It's an early renewal and the mortgage renews tomorrow. If I don't get this in on time, it will automagically renew to a 6 month, open mortgage with a rate just over 6%. :ohmy:

Update: We printed and signed the form. I scanned the form and have it on my computer, ready to attach to a message on the bank's secure webmail. All I can find is "Send a secure message". There is nowhere to attach a file. grrr. I phoned the bank to see if they can tell me how to access the secure webmail that allows me to attach a file. I'm waiting for a call back. :ermm:

Update to the mortgage renewal adventures: I finally found out how to send a secure message to the bank that allows me to attach a file. They use Cisco Registered Envelope Service. It encrypts the email, so it can't be read if it is intercepted in transit. It would have been nice if that explanation had come with the document that we had to sign. I had to register to the service.

It's a good idea. I do have one quibble. I mentioned it when Tyler called me back. The Cisco service is located in the US. It is under US jurisdiction and subject to US laws. Canada has a privacy law. IIRC, personal info is supposed to stay in Canada and under Canadian jurisdiction and laws. Before I retired, I had a Canadian encrypted email service, so I could communicate with my clients securely about their tax info. I had them send me their government income slips that way and I sent copies of their tax returns that way.

Do restaurants care what them give customers??

Jah bless, me hope you day blessed with peace!

So me just go out for a few thing at the shops and me see quite a crowd outside a local Caribbean restaurant and man them vexed! It used mostly by Rastafari and occasional Muslim people.
So me go to see what all fussing about, me ask what happen. A neighbour tell me one of the bin the restaurant use fall over and Lard buckets fall out!!!! As all will know Lard pig fat!!
Rastafari and Muslim people not allowed to eat pig products. Some one call the council and them say if them not break hygiene rules then them do nothing!!! I come home feeling sick man my family use this place, how long we been eating this? Me tell my husband and man he furious!! No body find the owner may be good thing for him man, them black people them should know better man! Me tell you me feel dirty inside man! My husband say they probably use it as it cheaper than coconut oil and other natural oil.
Me over 60 now and me NEVER eat any thing of a pig, me never even touch it man!!! My husband wonder where else this happen, cheesam, what next man? Me no drink much alcohol but me having big rum and coke now, it like me can taste it in my mouth. Me tell you man no body round here use them again now. Jah forgive me but me hope them go out of business.

Sorry to rant on man but me feel disgusted and insulted.

Jah bless,

Kali-Ann

ohh Kali-Ann - I'm so sorry this happened to you! How very very sad. You were tricked and lied to, I'm sure that Jah will cleanse and forgive.

ohh Kali-Ann - I'm so sorry this happened to you! How very very sad. You were tricked and lied to, I'm sure that Jah will cleanse and forgive.

Jah bless you dragnlaw,

Jah know we do not do it wilful he overstand everything man. It just to be deceived when them what we are! Jah give all the choice to live good some choose the other path man. Rastafari peaceful people man but if the owner have any sense he stay away, there Bobo Ashanti Rastafari here also they no as forgiving as Nyahbinghi.
The problem is this man this is not only insult to Rastafari this also insult to Jah!!! I wish him no harm but he should not have done that man.

Jah bless, me hope you have peaceful day.

Kali-Ann

Oh no Kali-Ann. That's awful. I'm sorry you had this shock.

Is there a chance that someone else put those buckets in the bin? Another resto or maybe someone who wanted to start trouble?

Jah bless you Taxlady me hope you day blessed,

These thing happen man, Rastafari generally treated with indifference by some even some other black people dislike us man because we hold on to Zion. Me tell my children we African never forget it, other mothers call me mad. Our dreads to them look at as 'quaint' at best.
Me no think this accident or some one else doing badness there only four other restaurant in area two Chinese, Indian and Greek we use none of them.
Most of the family in our street are Rastafari, some Nyahbinghi, some Bobo Ashanti and a few Twelve tribes of Israel, it tight knit community man. there some Somali around but them stay away from us. To some all Rastafari look same but Nyahbinghi women we wear silver and gold clamps in our dreads, our dreads are also much longer, mine to my knees man.
We use this place because we thought the food was Ital it always busy at weekend man, we sit eat, play domino and talk it like the centre of our people in the area and we treated like this man!!! Them may not overstand us man but there no reason to disrespect us so bad. Them just wanted our money.
To us this an attack on every thing we believe man, the young Bobo Ashanti men are so angry man me pray to Jah them do nothing stupid.
Our way of life may be difficult for other to overstand man. My way is very important for me, me lived as Jah say all my life as has my husband and me grateful my children also, me never felt so hurt man!

Jah bless,

Kali-Ann

Back
Top Bottom