Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know why you are waiting! Should be done at the time! While the steam is still hot!
taxy, I'm a little surprised you are still using the home delivery. I think you (with proper care) would be safe to do your own now. The hit and miss I keep hearing from you would drive me crazy!

I was using home delivery services before the pandemic. I park the car in an underground garage. That means that just about everything has to be schlepped up from the basement to the ground floor. When they deliver, it arrives on the ground floor.

Keep hearing about hit or miss? I posted about this particular event two days in a row. Sometimes they are a little late. That's no big deal. The previous mess up that I remember was near the beginning of the pandemic. That was when suddenly everyone wanted home delivery. It arrived the next day. That happened with my produce basket from Lufa and with IGA. So, not even the same store. IGA forgot an item once and they brought it to me later that day.

You're right taxy, I stand corrected, you had mentioned using it before the pandemic mainly because of your car.

My DIL uses on-line orders a lot, especially since pandemic. But they pick-up.

Anyway - funny story - One day they placed in the order for Mushrooms. Quantity 1....

they sent 1 mushroom in a paper bag!

One mushroom, bahaha. I once got a single tiny beet instead of celeriac. Metro emails you a receipt with exact amounts, weights of items, etc. I had been very curious about the 37¢ celeriac. :LOL:

Was the power loss from a storm or from rolling blackouts? We've been getting flickers on and off here during this horrid heat.
cj, it was proactive work on National Grid's part. Shocking, yes. [emoji16] In anticipation of the extreme heat, they did some tweaking to prevent arching...or something like that.

BTW, Himself thinks that restoring power was the last surge the power pack on the old router could take. Instead of feeding 15amps of power to the router, it was pushing 40. Mr. Wonderful is currently hooking up the new modem. [emoji813]

It's been a very stressful month, with more to come.
DH and I find ourselves VERY tired lately.
I normally do not take naps, but I have been either doing so in the late afternoons or sleeping well past our regular naturally centered morning alarms, aka that auto-reveille in your brain. :LOL:
We had an appointment this morning and barely made it!
Busy busy busy!

I saw these venting notes on the side of our community mailboxes.

Attachments

• 01EB6DF1-4E03-4425-965F-2910AD0561F0.jpg
    01EB6DF1-4E03-4425-965F-2910AD0561F0.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 63
cj, it was proactive work on National Grid's part. Shocking, yes. [emoji16] In anticipation of the extreme heat, they did some tweaking to prevent arching...or something like that.

BTW, Himself thinks that restoring power was the last surge the power pack on the old router could take. Instead of feeding 15amps of power to the router, it was pushing 40. Mr. Wonderful is currently hooking up the new modem. [emoji813]

Typically, the load determines the current draw. Where I = current, V= voltage, and R= resistance. Ohms law is I- E/R. Since the current is what will destroy components, and the resistance. or more accurately, Impedance (a function of resistance, and reactance) remains constant in your modem, that spike in power you describe (Watts), is caused by voltage spikes in the electric grid. This can be handled by a surge suppressor, or a small UPS (uninterruptible power supply). These devices are placed between the outlet, and sensitive electronic devices, and will stop voltage spikes. The UPS will also provide safe power to you device if there is a power outage.

At sea. ship's power was so dirty (full of voltage spikes), that our electronic work stations required a very powerful UPS that changed ships power to DC, filtered it, ant the converted back to AC, giving us clean, uninterrupted voltage. At my last job, we had thee banks of deep-cycle batteries, with each bank wired in parallel to give us -48 VDC, which is what our phone system ran off of. The voltage was again converted bu a UPS into DC voltage to eliminate commercial power grid spikes from getting to or network.

Yor power protection needs can be satisfied by something like this - https://www.techhive.com/article/3281455/apc-surgearrest-performance-p12u2-review.html.

APC is a trusted name in both UPS and surge protection.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This has been seen in more than one of my canning groups on Facebook. My question is what do they think we are too prepared for? What do they know we don't? I'm mean I have a couple dozen quarts of tomato juice. I am prepared for a lot of tomato beers. I have a few jars of canned pork. I'm prepared for pulled pork sandwiches.FB_IMG_1630519164946.jpg

*ARGH*

I ordered new Patio Furniture at the beginning of April,
that I paid for, in full, big bucks I might add.
There has been nothing but delays.
I understand that this past 2 years has been very
difficult for businesses, but ...
I have had to be the one following up on my order,
rather than that company contacting me.
August 30th, I FINALLY get an email that my order is
being shipped via UPS Ground Freight-curbside delivery-no extra charge.
When I went to the UPS.com website, it is to be delivered sometime
this next Tuesday.
Something in the back of my head screamed, check with UPS again...
It's an hour away from our home,
RIGHT NOW!!!

I went to UPS's live chat site and asked if I was going to receive
a phone call to set up our delivery ...
NOPE!
I was told that I need to watch the website for a "scan-out for delivery" which would include a date and time :ermm:

I'm super P.O.'d :mad::angry::evil::censored:

*ARGH*

<<I went to UPS's live chat site and asked if I was going to receive
a phone call to set up our delivery ...
NOPE!
I was told that I need to watch the website for a "scan-out for delivery" which would include a date and time :ermm:>>

You should be able to sign up for email or text updates. That way, you needn't keep checking. I do that all the time.

When I am expecting a delivery and I have a tracking number, I bookmark the page with the tracking number and put that right at the beginning of my bookmarks tool bar. Then I can easily check whenever I think of it. I also sign up for notifications.

Here's my vent: Crazy, reckless drivers! Folks weaving in & out, driving like they are in the Indy 500 or something? A few days back, on the freeway, a lady swerved from behind us, and then cut us off and almost hit the big rig in front of us in the process. Sheesh! We were just moving with the speed of traffic.

Anyway, I guess it is our way of brushing it off or trying to take the stress out of the situation...we've come up with a remark, he/she/they "must really have to go poop!"

Poor packaging!

Whoever designed the packaging for bricks of cream cheese should be shot. the foil wrapping with the "open here" designation is a joke. They're probably laughing at consumers who try to "open here"?

You should be able to sign up for email or text updates. That way, you needn't keep checking. I do that all the time.

When I am expecting a delivery and I have a tracking number, I bookmark the page with the tracking number and put that right at the beginning of my bookmarks tool bar. Then I can easily check whenever I think of it. I also sign up for notifications.

Check and check gals.
The text as well email notifications aren't working, so I'm forced to follow up on my own.

My vent...oh please. Do people think the turn signal device is a decorative thing on their car? Hello, Dolly, it would be nice to see which direction you wish to proceed.

Perhaps some people have cobwebs on their turn signal devices because they so rarely use them.

Off my soapbox now!

Here's my vent: Crazy, reckless drivers! Folks weaving in & out, driving like they are in the Indy 500 or something? A few days back, on the freeway, a lady swerved from behind us, and then cut us off and almost hit the big rig in front of us in the process. Sheesh! We were just moving with the speed of traffic.

Anyway, I guess it is our way of brushing it off or trying to take the stress out of the situation...we've come up with a remark, he/she/they "must really have to go poop!"

Don't even tell me about it. When I went to work in Willowick, about 30 miles away, I got into the proper lane miles early.

I sped, but I handled it. So I am in the proper lane and EVERY day it looks like there was a wreck. This is people changing lanes.

See they have to slow down, then the people behind them have to slow down until it make a big parking lot. EVERY DAY I dealt with this. I took a closer job at $3 less per hour.

That was a job. Got Ma a two grand Sony for like $300. They would get me Women, wine and weed. Took mostly whatever I wanted that wasn't too expensive. I took home an amp, Pioneer. Told the boss "I am taking this" his response was "Do you have enough speaker wire ? I got that amp so hot, I had to put a box fan on it. Running into 2.33 ohms. It dimmed the lights.

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom