Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I heard that calling folks homeless is prejudicial. Getting the terminology seems more important than helping them, tho.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, though, there was a big problem with people living on the streets. I remember it being a problem on many skiing trips to Whistler/Blackcomb. Being a NYer, it was nothing I've seen before, but many folks were shocked.

Maybe they got smart and moved south.

I still thing B.C. folks rock.

I've never been to B.C. or any other place north of the U.S. border. I've been close to the border, but we stayed on the Washington and/or Idaho side.

Why "houseless" they could have termed it "apartmentless" or "condoless" "townhouseless" and a few others.

Seems like a gross mis-label. "Home" can be a cave, a tent, etc.

Maybe they were having a hard time coming to terms if the person said they were not "homeless" as they had a beautiful box they found behind Walmart. It fixes up real nice for their home.

They are technically not homeless then. Was that their problem?
If they never had a house in the first place - what does that call them?

Why "houseless" they could have termed it "apartmentless" or "condoless" "townhouseless" and a few others.

Seems like a gross mis-label. "Home" can be a cave, a tent, etc.

Maybe they were having a hard time coming to terms if the person said they were not "homeless" as they had a beautiful box they found behind Walmart. It fixes up real nice for their home.

They are technically not homeless then. Was that their problem?
If they never had a house in the first place - what does that call them?

I think that is exactly it. They have a spot somewhere that they call home, but they do not have a building?

Well, we just got back from a trip to OHSU...taking us across the river into Portland, OR. Whatever they are called, they certainly have NOT removed them from the sides of the freeways! Sigh.

The one name that I really object to is calling them "Campers". I am a camper. I gather up my gear, journey to a designated campground or camping area, I pack it in and pack it out. They are NOT campers.

I could make a comment on who some of those non-campers just might be - IMHO

but then that would be political and I'd probably get a rap on the knuckles.

Nothing is petty

My perspective is, too much of life is "death by a thousand cuts". The chinese torture, not the idiotic song.

My observations:

Most people assume that bad things are inevitable, simply because they are common and longstanding.....therefore they conclude these things are impossible to change. I strongly disagree.

Most of life is filled with small bad things, and most people are unaware of how things got that way in the first place. Ignorance is the root of all evil.

I'm so tired of the attitude "you're the only one complaining" or "move on" or "suck it up and be a man" or "it's ONLY this, you're making too much of it" or "Can't you take a joke" or "yes, it's stupid, but that's the way we've always done it" or "failure is normal, I'm only human"

Life should be magnificent and nearly flawless in all respects, all of the time. Accepting, tolerating even tiny insults and offenses and flaws only snowballs and makes everything worse. Everything and everyone, under all circumstances should always be held to the highest standards with immediate and harsh accountability.

Is that idealistic? Yes. Is it unrealistic? Absolutely not. Evolution is painful and unforgiving, and culture can and should also be the same.

I think it's time for a little more kindness and empathy. I would go on a big rant, but it would be considered political. Let's just say that I try to use the terms that marginalized people choose to be known by. There is no good reason to use terms that are hurtful.

I think it's time for a little more kindness and empathy. I would go on a big rant, but it would be considered political. Let's just say that I try to use the terms that marginalized people choose to be known by. There is no good reason to use terms that are hurtful.

There is a good reason to use any and all terms: freedom trumps feelings in importance and value.

Something is "hurtful" or "offensive" only if a person CHOOSES to be hurt or offended by it. It is literally impossible to speak without what you say bothering SOMEONE.

An example: "It's such a sunny day, how nice," is "offensive" to the person whose spouse just died from skin cancer due to too much suntanning.

Censorship a very dangerous and slippery slope. Manipulation of expression leads to manipulation of thought, and that leads to slavery.

Last edited:
Bearcat, do you really think it's a good idea to call someone by a racial or ethnic slur? Is it okay because, fReEdoM? I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about lack of consideration. Most ethnic slurs are used with the clear knowledge that they will be hurtful. So are many other terms used about other marginalized people. Often those terms are used with the intention of being hurtful. There is never a good reason to use that kind of terms. That is not to say that there is a good reason to ban those terms. Heck, I don't want them banned. I want to know who the a**hats are who choose to be hurtful.

Bearcat, do you really think it's a good idea to call someone by a racial or ethnic slur? Is it okay because, fReEdoM? I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about lack of consideration. Most ethnic slurs are used with the clear knowledge that they will be hurtful. So are many other terms used about other marginalized people. Often those terms are used with the intention of being hurtful. There is never a good reason to use that kind of terms. That is not to say that there is a good reason to ban those terms. Heck, I don't want them banned. I want to know who the a**hats are who choose to be hurtful.

I don't think I can successfully help you, since you appear to be using your emotions rather than your brain here. However, others will eventually read this, so, for the benefit of a hopefully calmer and more rational posterity:

First of all, your implication is ridiculous and misleading. I never stated that I think it is a good idea. I stated that freedom is a far more important value to protect than subjective feelings.

Second, you write, "Most ethnic slurs are used with the clear knowledge that they will be hurtful." By saying this you ignore the axiomatic fact that no term can do harm to anyone who does not choose to be offended by it.

Ironically, YOU are the one demeaning your precious "marginalized people" with the status of victim, as if they were not capable of judging for themselves as individuals, not capable of choosing not to be offended, whatever the intent of the term-caster.

I have no desire or need to shout down the moronic people who think that applying labels on themselves, or claiming victim status, grants them the right to dictate what terms I use or any other form of speech. However, I do reserve the right to call them just what they are, and to refuse to be cowed into paying even lip service to their absurdity.

Respect cannot be demanded, it has to be earned, on an individual basis. It does not come as a perk of being a member of some kind of victim class.

It is a self evident fact that all persons are NOT equal.

If someone made a remark that my background, Irish, consists of people who are belligerent, violent, drunks, terrorists, that would not bother me in the least. Not only because I have the option of ignoring those comments, but because I know, factually, that a great many of "my" people DO objectively fit that description, whether I do or not.

If I'm bothered by that "slur" as you would put it, it's utterly absurd and asinine to invent a "movement" to stamp out the "slur words", or to insist on being called "IRISH AMERICAN" rather than "Mickey" or "Paddy". If that "slur" bothers me, it's up to me to address those within MY cultural group to correct their ways, to stop being living breathing proof of the negative stereotype. But most of these "marginalized people" you refer to aren't interested in personal responsibility and accountability. They just want every unearned privilege that victim status can get them.

Slapping the label "Big Beautiful Woman" on herself and adopting a snotty attitude can't negate the factual reality that obesity should be met with revulsion in most cases, because it defies nature, it is bluntly unhealthy. Screaming BBW isn't going to insulate you from the factual reality of diabetes and heart disease, sorry ladies. If you don't like the label "fat" that is usually entirely in your hands. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you don't get to name yourself that.

Stereotypes don't come out of thin air, they're based on observation of actual behavior in the real world over time. Are they universally applicable? Of course not. It's called a "rule of thumb", and life would be literally impossible without them.

When I go to the light switch, I "pre judge" that it will cause the light to come on, because I've observed so many times that it does so. It's merely a common sense conviction: Prejudice. Will it sometimes not work that way? Sure. But I'm not going to let some idiot yell at me not to call a particular brand of switch a hunk of crap when that brand consistently breaks, because that is "offensive to the marginalized inferior quality switch community"

Objective Reality doesn't' care how you feel about it.

By all means, taxlady, pour your empathy and indignation down a rat hole. But when you move in the direction of attempting to stifle free speech, watch out. I will be there to stop you.

Last edited:
Bearcat, you have made yourself abundantly clear about your opinions. I don't think there is any point to further discussion of this with you.

bearcat, while I respect your opinion about speech and freedom thereof, both in delivery and perception, that's not how it works with social media.

This is a privately owned site, and whatever you type in, upload, or otherwise offer as far as opinions, experiences, pictures, and often in our case - recipes, becomes the property of the site owners. They choose administrators to decide what is allowed on THEIR site.

It took me a while to get used to that many years ago, but it it what it is. To put it succinctly, it's their candy store, not some American institution governed by constitutional law.

By being a part of this community, you have to agree to abide by this, or otherwise **** off.

[URL="https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules"[/URL]

Please refresh yourselves on the Community Rules. I've had enough of this "discussion."

Apologies for the profanity, PF. It was for effect.

Anyway, getting back to squares. My car battery died again yesterday. I bought this car 3 years ago, and the first battery only lasted 2 years. This one lasted only a year.
The last time, my car was stuck in the city overnight with 2 windows half way down. I had called for roadside assistance for a jump start, but the bone-head hooked up the cables wrong causing a huge spark and ended up blowing some fuses.
I had to keep running outside to check on it every hour or so, to make sure no one screwed with it. I then had it towed to a dealership in Jersey the next morning to get the battery and fuses replaced.

Well, it died again, but this time I made sure the jump was done correctly, and I was able to drive it back to the dealership for a waranteed replacement.

I hope I don't have a vampire short somewhere that's draining the battery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom