Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that by law or is it a regional preference?

You know, I have to admit, I do not know. I've heard the complaints from contractors, and I've overheard some things on DH's talk shows...and the fact that there are plans to close down power plants...I'll have to ask DH or otherwise look it up.

For whatever it is worth, my house is all electric. We don't have gas out in the countryside and hills here. One has to have a propane tank installed, filled, etc, to have any kind of "gas" out here. When we bought the house, I worried over that, now, I love my electric kitchen.

Our entire 55+ apartment complex is gas free.
They don't trust us feeble old folk with gas.

Not a big deal except that my grilling days had to come to an end. I bought an electric grill and it is now a plant holder.

Ross

People one sees only when they want something. Being asked for eggs, vegetables, herbs, even roses by people who never visit, never call to see how we are, never offer anything they might have. Entitled people are one of my pet peeves!
Fortunately, there is a complete cure for this--a firm NO works!

...the codes for gas dryer installations have been toughened since our last purchase and they had to make some changes to stay up to code. The type of changes that cost $435.00 that we hadn't expected.
Dang, Andy, that's a heck of a nasty surprise. Sorry that happened. We had a less expensive appliance adjustment when we moved here with our washer and dryer (both electric). When we bought the washer in OH, three-prong plugs were the "thing". By the time we moved here, we had to replace the power line with a four-prong plug. Didn't know that until our household goods were moved in - and we really wanted to wash clothes right away! Had to go out the day after moving to buy a new cord Himself could swap out, fortunately. Didn't cost us anywhere near $435, but it did take up time that we didn't have. You see, we had to turn around right after the move to MA to take our son in OH back to college in AZ. So. Much. Driving. :(

When my mum was in her late 80s and still living alone in Copenhagen, she had memory problems. She once came home to fire fighters in her kitchen. She had gone out and left something on the stove with the gas burner on. The neighbours saw the smoke and called the fire department. They got there in time that there was no serious damage. But, the fire department called her social worker. The social worker arranged to have her gas cut off and have a special stove top installed. It was electric and had an automatic timer. When I went to visit, it was a real nuisance to cook on that thing.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that an apartment complex housing only people 55 and older is never, truly "gas free". :whistling: Just sayin'...:cool:

So, there are "laws" they have in place and more they are trying to put in place. And, recently, Olympia passed a bill to OUTLAW gas powered motors after the (model) year 2030! Cars, trucks, mowers, generators, and so on.

I hear you, Ross. If only we could drive our cars with "natural gas". :LOL:

So, there are "laws" they have in place and more they are trying to put in place. And, recently, Olympia passed a bill to OUTLAW gas powered motors after the (model) year 2030! Cars, trucks, mowers, generators, and so on.
It wasn't cars and lawn mowers I was talking about...:mrgreen:

My vent; the sound quit working on my laptop. It will cost a minimum of $130 to get it repaired. I reoladed all of the drivers, and updates, ran Windows diagnostics, which never helps. It may need a new sound card. For the hourly price of the computer repair tech, it better get figured out. I just don't have the tools here to troubleshoot it myself
I used to build computers, and repair aircraft electronics. Oh to be young and strong again.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We have no water! :ohmy: I made a "pit stop" after my baseball game and post-game were over, just before 12:30 AM. Everything was fine. Came back down to the kitchen, talked to Himself for about two minutes, then went into the kitchen to rinse out our little ice cream bowls. No Water! :ohmy: We don't have water towers here (even though there are hills and rolling terrain), just concrete water tanks. Most of them are buried, although there is one above ground...on the ground. In fact, when there are no leaves on the trees, you can see the street lamp right by the tank outside our upstairs bathroom window a couple hundred feet away! Our pressure has never been great. We think it's 26 PSI because the number 26 is penciled in on the basement wall right above the meter. They started working on the tank closest to us the middle of May. Said it would be 2-4 weeks work. Over the last week our pressure has been great - until it became nothing. Had I remembered to reactivate my phone for the town reverse 911 system, we would have known ahead. Now we just wait, and hope that water is restored by the time we're getting ready for bed. If not, I have jugs of water in the basement!

Well, taxy, I would have had a warning if I had our local reverse 911 alert active! :LOL: My fault.

On the other hand, the water started flowing again about 3:30. Bit brown, but a little running and it should get clear. Going to try and get it looking clean so I can get ready for bed.

My vent; the sound quit working on my laptop. It will cost a minimum of $130 to get it repaired. I reoladed all of the drivers, and updates, ran Windows diagnostics, which never helps. It may need a new sound card. For the hourly price of the computer repair tech, it better get figured out. I just don't have the tools here to troubleshoot it myself
I used to build computers, and repair aircraft electronics. Oh to be young and strong again.

When our Smart TV lost its sound, we found that to repair it was more than we wanted to pay.

We bought a new TV and gave the older one to a grandson. He bought an inexpensive sound bar and its fine now.

You might check to see if a sound bar would work for your laptop.

Ross

Oh, goodness! No water would be a big shock, CG! Glad it came back on!

Last time I found myself with "no water," was a number of years ago. We were out camping, I was getting myself ready to return home. DH was starting some of the outside clean up...when he decided to disconnect the water. I was in the shower with shampoo in my hair! Luckily, the shower is right next to the water connection & I pounded like crazy on the wall! Water was restored within moments.

Dead Man Walking

Ginny, I think you one-upped me with your "no water" story. :LOL: I was just trying to rinse dishes. You were trying to rinse...you!

Himself is walking on thin ice right now - which isn't easy to do when your daytime temperature almost reached 90. When I went upstairs this evening, I thought I heard water running through the pipes. I checked my bathroom sink - dry. I thought maybe the toilet tank flap wasn't sitting right - lifted the lid and all was right with that. Well, the only other place to check was Himself's bathroom. When I walked into his bathroom, the sink faucet was running slowly. :glare: Hot water. For at least five hours! He runs it when he combs what he has as hair. Today? He forgot to turn it off before he headed downstairs. :ohmy: He was lucky I didn't withhold his ice cream tonight.

Wednesday, when I took out the garbage, I noticed that there was sticky insect trap stuck to my kitchen window sill. I thought it was odd, but didn't give it a lot of thought. I didn't have many spoons, so I left it. Last night, I noticed from inside the kitchen, that there was one stuck to the window. But, it was quite late and I didn't want to deal with it right then. I thought maybe someone had moved the one from the sill onto the window. This morning, as I was checking out my front door for any possible deliveries, I was met by a bigger surprise. There was one of those sticky traps stuck to my front door. Worse, there was something that looked sort of like vomit on my door sill and on the walkway in front of my front door. It didn't look like vomit from a person. It looked like the vomit from a cat that has been eating dry cat food. It could just have been kibble that had been soaked to a mush.

So, I swept away the "vomit" and the ants that were eating it. I'll let it dry more before sweeping it into a garbage bag. I grabbed both insect traps and put them in the garbage. These were a design I had never seen before. A foot long tube, but with a triangular cross section. They stuck to the inside of the garbage bag. PITA.

By the way. I live in a townhouse. There is no front yard. People walk past my window and door, within a few feet, all the time.

I hate pop ups on my cell phone. I just lost twenty minutes of work, both in a thread I was pisting about how food enjoyment is enhance by proper temperature, and the, another 5 minutes worth of work in the petty vents thread. I just started over in yhe petty vents thread. A music video popped up, without me touching anything. So annoying. Any typos are going to be missed, because, as I type this, pop ups hide most of my text. I need to use my laptop, instead of my phone. It's a way better ecperience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom