Pheasant - TNT tips for cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Isn't it early for pheasant hunting? Thought it was oct. - jan/feb. Were they farmed? Never had pheasant, although I love duck. Do they taste like duck? Are they plucked?

Off the top-
They can be quite dry. Best roasted in a moist heat, larded on a rack. Browned for last 15 minutes and served with a gravy made from drippings. Might want to stuff with moist (apple/bread?) stuffing to conserve moisture. Guessing your birds weigh about a kilo each and would require one to 1 1/4 hour at 350F.

Quicksilver - I've only had pheasant once, & it wasn't like duck at all. More like a cross between Guinea Hen & Chicken. Same proportions of white & dark meat. The pheasant I had was farmed though - wild might be different.

These are wild pheasant - all plucked and ready for cooking. I remembered the moist bit and DW found a recipe suggesting a herb butter was stuffed under the skin.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hopefully they were dispatched with lead shot, which is a little easier on the teeth than the steel shot which is more and more widely being required in the USA. I suspect PETA would be pleased if the environmentalists managed to require the use of gold shot

I wrap mine in thick bacon and baste with sherry chicken broth mix 1/2&1/2 and keep it coverd to retain moisture uncover for the last 15-20 minutes, Makes one fine gravy when done

We just been to a farmers market and got 5 pheasant for £10.

Not sure how to cook them - anyone got any TNT tips.

Thanks

Hi Miniman,

In the UK, this would depend upon the season and the season for Pheasant lasts from 1st October to 31st January.

Early in the season one would roast, cover the breast with streaky bacon and "froth" the breast (remove the bacon, dredge with flour and baste) and continute roasting. At this time of the year you are between the point of roasting and casseroling. Personally, I would casserole and serve as a Salmis of Pheasant. Just make sure that you remove as much shot as possible -saves your guests sueing for your dinner ruining their crowns! Oh, by the way, I`m not joking!!!

All the best,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom