Philly Cheese Steak at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow.

a Jersey Mike recently opened in our area - been working on it 'by opportunity'

however, the chain has nothing but slams in review sites.

really puts my enthusiasm to try on the back back back burner....

so sad.
I grew up in Phila - hoagies and cheese steaks - very difficult to find a local shop that is anything other than a lick&promise of the old school real stuff.

I will admit, if you have a Jersey Mike’s sub shop in your area, they do make a pretty good cheesesteak.
But you need to order The Big Kahuna to get one properly stuffed.

I don't know who is giving Jersey Mike's a bad rap. Probably the Subway sandwich people.

Oh, and Cheez Whiz isn't cheese. It doesn't even contain cheese. That's why it has to be spelled cheez!

Last edited:
Trying to get a good cheesesteak outside of Pennsylvania is like trying to get a good crab cake outside of Maryland ��
LOL, have you been to Virginia? Maryland must have better PR because the crab cakes in Virginia are made from the very same crabs and are equally delicious [emoji39]

We travel all over on our boat and really miss Philly cheesesteaks. I have found Amoroso's rolls in several different Aldi’s. I agree the steak needs to be shaved rib eye. I like cheez wiz and fried onions, hubby likes his in the garden with American cheese.

Trying to get a good cheesesteak outside of Pennsylvania is like trying to get a good crab cake outside of Maryland ��

I will admit, if you have a Jersey Mike’s sub shop in your area, they do make a pretty good cheesesteak.

I live in NJ and think Jersey Mike cheese steak is pretty good. DD likes the ones with jalapeños and/or mushrooms added to the other ingredients.

LOL, have you been to Virginia? Maryland must have better PR because the crab cakes in Virginia are made from the very same crabs and are equally delicious [emoji39]

Now now everyone knows that the waters in MD grow a better crab. If the crab happens to go from MD to VA before harvest the VA waters dilute the flavor.

Science it is..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now now everyone knows that the waters in MD grow a better crab. If the crab happens to go from MD to VA before harvest the VA waters dilute the flavor.

Science it is..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hey, dude. We grow our very own crabs along our very own coastline, thankyouverymuch, which is longer than Maryland's, by the way! :ROFLMAO: We just need better PR, I tell ya!

Never mind, we'll keep our delicious jimmiee to ourselves and y'all can deplete Maryland's ;)

Hey, dude. We grow our very own crabs along our very own coastline, thankyouverymuch, which is longer than Maryland's, by the way! :ROFLMAO: We just need better PR, I tell ya!

Never mind, we'll keep our delicious jimmiee to ourselves and y'all can deplete Maryland's ;)

Crabs migrate ya know..

Now I want crabs for dinner....

I will give you that, been to VA, but never had a crab cake there. For me it’s not just the crabs, but the lack of filler in the crab cake. We got some awesome crab cakes that had just enough filler to hold them together. Now I am always disappointed when I order a crab cake at a restaurant.?

But you need to order The Big Kahuna to get one properly stuffed.

I don't know who is giving Jersey Mike's a bad rap. Probably the Subway sandwich people.

Oh, and Cheez Whiz isn't cheese. It doesn't even contain cheese. That's why it has to be spelled cheez!

Totally agree with all you statements. The big kahuna is the best. Jersey Mikes is our favorite sub shop. Pricey, but fresh and good. They actually slice the meats when you order your sub.

I know cheez wiz is not cheese, doesn’t stop me from liking it on a cheesesteak. lol?

Totally agree with all you statements. The big kahuna is the best. Jersey Mikes is our favorite sub shop. Pricey, but fresh and good. They actually slice the meats when you order your sub.

I know cheez wiz is not cheese, doesn’t stop me from liking it on a cheesesteak. lol?

Slicing the meats when you order your sandwich really does make a difference. We have a sandwich place here that does that. It's not like you notice specifically that the meats are fresher. But, it does make the sandwich better.

I will give you that, been to VA, but never had a crab cake there. For me it’s not just the crabs, but the lack of filler in the crab cake. We got some awesome crab cakes that had just enough filler to hold them together. Now I am always disappointed when I order a crab cake at a restaurant.[emoji1]
Those are the best kind of crab cakes, no doubt. There are several restaurants near me that make very good crab cakes just like that - just enough ingredients to hold them together (to me, filler is unnecessary ingredients; crab cakes do need other ingredients to be crab cakes and not just crab :wink :)) .

Those are the best kind of crab cakes, no doubt. There are several restaurants near me that make very good crab cakes just like that - just enough ingredients to hold them together (to me, filler is unnecessary ingredients; crab cakes do need other ingredients to be crab cakes and not just crab :wink :)) .[

This is making me hungry for crab cakes. The best crab cakes I ever had was when we were catching them right off the boat and right into the pot of boiling water, picked and made my own. Can’t get much fresher than that! Plus it was fun. Those little devil are fast! Had to capture a runaway. lol

Cheese-wiz ? Not at my house. At my house that I moved out of I had roomies. Three people who I considered friends needed a place to stay. The Woman, not my Woman but she was there, made a melted cheese sauce for those. I found it good, but then again it was not Cheese-wiz. Tell you what, that was MY house and I wished to die there, but oh well.

And I tell you, AT LEAST ONCE try doing the mushrooms the way I said. REALLY fry them. Not burn but fry longer until they change to a darker color and start having a strong aroma. They are GREAT.

That baguette bread, the first time I used it I didn't know what it was. Ma told me. But it was a more hearty bread, I cut it out a little more maybe, but I squished the sides more. Then I started sticking it in the toaster oven for a minute or whatever which helped. Thing is to watch how you cut because they are each a cut from a loaf. No wraparound end.

So far, so good.

T

Back
Top Bottom