Pi Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Head's up, y'all! Pi Day is Thursday, March 14 (3/14). Are you planning to make a pie? If yes, what kind?

I'm going to make a chicken pot pie with homemade crust made with lard :yum:

caseydog

Master Chef
I was thinking of some kind of meat pie, too. I've never made on, and I'm a bit intimidated. If I decide to make one, I better have the pizza delivery number ready, for a back-up pizza "pie."

CD

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I have some nice trimmings of beef filet in the freezer I've been saving. A gourmet beef and mushroom pie sounds like a plan! Casey, I'll be using store bought rolled up refrigerated pie crusts. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Stirling's mum gave us a store bought apple pie. It's been waiting in the freezer for pi day. We have had this kind at his mum's house before and it is delish.

Sandrii93

Assistant Cook
What do you mean with Pi day? :O Is it an international stablished day for honouring the Pie?

I see all of you have been preparing for this, it intrigues me.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
What do you mean with Pi day? :O Is it an international stablished day for honouring the Pie?

In the US the 14th of March is abbreviated as 3-14, sort of like pi, 3.14. So, it's a kind of a joke, because pi and pie are pronounced the same.

A lot of people celebrate it, but there is nothing "official" about it. It's just an excuse to eat pie. ;)

Last edited:

tenspeed

Executive Chef
In the US the 14th of March is abbreviated as 3-14, sort of like pi, 3.14. So, it's a kind of a joke, because pi and pie are pronounced the same.

A lot of people celebrate it, but there is nothing "official" about it. It's just an excuse to eat pie. ;)
Pi day works in countries that use the MDY format - United States, Philippines, Federated States of Micronesia, and Marshall Islands. For those that use a different date format, you are welcome to join us in celebrating Pi day (but nobody should need an excuse to enjoy some Pi!).

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Pi day works in countries that use the MDY format - United States, Philippines, Federated States of Micronesia, and Marshall Islands. For those that use a different date format, you are welcome to join us in celebrating Pi day (but nobody should need an excuse to enjoy some Pi!).
Only if they pronounce their word for pie and pi the same way. :-p

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I'm have pork pie on the to do list for tomorrow - I've never made one so this will be interesting...

caseydog

Master Chef

Ah, it wouldn't work in Yurrip, since you abbreviate days as day/month/year, so March 14th is 14/3/2019.

Here in Merca, tomorrow is 3/14/2019. The definition of Pi (short version) is 3.14. Therefore, Pi day, which some of the more nerdy folks here celebrate by eating pie.

CD

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It's that time of year once more!
:chef:
What kind and/or flavorings will you be making?

I think that I'll be making both Hand Pies as well
as a Crostata and maybe even a Tart ... that's a pie, right?

3/14/21 is a month and a half away. I don't plan anything that far in advance!

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Not sure Ill be making anything, but there's a place about 45 minutes out east in farm country that make great Cherry Cream Pies. May be time for a road trip. When my daughter visited during thanksgiving we got a blueberry cream pie.

Top Bottom