Picnic tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kams

Assistant Cook
I've approximately 40 people coming over to our flat on Saturday and we decided to have a picnic on our local park during the day.... I've asked everyone to bring some food... but i'm not expecting everyone to do this and I'd like to make sure that everyone gets fed.

Any suggestions for good quality 'big' dishes that perhaps I could make in advance?
I'll do a big Potato Salad the night before and maybe some chicken portions/pasta etc...

any suggestions???

kams, can you do wraps? What I do a lot of is prepare a bunch of rollups and then just before we go somewhere I cut them and place on a tray. They look like little pinwheels and they are a huge hit. Here are a couple of recipes.

Egg Salad

Mash 3 hardboiled eggs with about 1/3 cup mayonnaise. Toss in some chopped celery and green onions. Salt and pepper to taste. Smear 1/2 this filling on a 10 inch tortilla shell and roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in your fridge until ready to serve. When you are ready to serve, slice the rolls into about 1/2 inch sections and arrange on a platter.

Tuna Salad

1 can of drained tuna. Some chopped green onion, and celery. Some mayonnaise (1/3 cup?). I also add some garlic salt and some coarse ground pepper. A little dill is nice too. Smear, roll up and wrap as before.

Greek Rollups

1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup finely chopped feta cheese
Sprinkle of oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Blend these until smooth. Then add:

Chopped black olives, red and green peppers, and red onion. Smear as before.

Deli meat

Use any deli meat. Smear the tortilla with whatever condiment works best for that meat in your opinion. (I.E. I smear mayonnaise when I use turkey breast, and mustard with roast beef) Layer your meat over your condiment, sprinkle cheese if desired and roll up. *Note* These ones don't stick together as well so sometimes a smear of cream cheese glues everything together nicely.

Marcia's

1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 to 1/3 mayonnaise
chopped green onions
tbsp horseradish
1/2 cup (or more) grated sharp cheddar

Blend well and smear away. Marcia adds some lemon juice to this. I add some salt and pepper instead.

These are wonderful to make ahead and then have to pull out and run. You can just carry them still wrapped up and slice when you get to your picnic site. Good luck and have fun.

Another idea is to buy big round loaves of bread, cut off "lids" pull all the stuffing out, leaving a crust (use the innards for another purpose)

Inside the bread you can now layer all sorts of things, salami, semi dried tomatoes, anchovies, marinated vegetables, and then weight them with a can or two, and leave in fridge over night.

Then cut into wedges, wrap into foil and hey presto, ready for your picnic.

When you guys are doing your tuna salads, could you give very finely chopped red onions a thought, in lieu of the green onion?

If you want some "green" into the mixture, lets try some very finely chopped (chipped?) green pepper

A drop or three of olive oil does not In my own opinion!) threaten anyone with the dreaded "fats" thing, and adds considerably to the "taste" side...

A judiscious scenting of the salad with well mixed tobasco and/or lemon juice (here's where one versus two "drops" makes an enormous difference) can also evolve to where one wolfs down the whole mix, and the heck with anyone else...but it does depend on the quality of "tuna" that you are working with...and I very much expect that that changes from country to country...the stuff I tasted in Italy a few weeks ago compared very favourably to the stuff I buy in Canada...

Alix said:
Marcia's

1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 to 1/3 mayonnaise
chopped green onions
tbsp horseradish
1/2 cup (or more) grated sharp cheddar

Blend well and smear away. Marcia adds some lemon juice to this. I add some salt and pepper instead.

Alix, this sounds so good. It would be wonderful on bagels. For a variation, I think that I would add some finely chopped jalapeno or garlic and take out the horseradish. Yummy!! Thanks for posting this recipe. I have copied it into my files. :)

Back
Top Bottom