Pigs trotters - what to do with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Silver

Assistant Cook
Hello!

Tomorrow I plan to try my hand at making a 1lb pork pie (a big adventure for me).

So I am currently in the process of simmering a couple trotters, carrot, onion etc. to make the gelatin and thought occurred.

Would there be any usable meat left on the trotters that I could use in the pie? Or would the stock making process have 'knocked the stuffing' out of them?

I'm not short of meat for the pie - I just wondered as I've never used trotters before.

Tim

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
I was raised eating pig feet. Some folks call 'em pig knuckles, or trotters.
We cook 'em in a pressure cooker to speed up the process because they need a LOT of cooking to be tender. There ain't a lot of meat there but what is there is mighty good. Mrs Hoot don't care for them as she ain't fond of the jiggly parts. All they need is some salt and pepper. When I get done, there is nothing left but a pile of sticky bones. I reckon they ain't everybody's cup of tea but I like 'em.
Good luck with the pie and let us know how it turns out!

I like em barbequed in the oven.

After simmering a couple of hours drain, save the stock for another use. Place on baking sheet with sliced onions, cover with barbeque sauce and bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Not much meat as others have said but very tasty with some big hunks of Italian bread or served over white rice.

Back
Top Bottom