Pizza(low fat), substitute ingredient to cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not pizza - that's flatbread ;)

Not that Wiki is the most reliable source of information, but they do talk about
one of traditional Pizzas that doesn't have cheese on it. If you are interested here is the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza

Now, to the original poster. My daughter doesn't eat cheese. When I make pizza I simply do not put cheese on. It's not you usual pizza we see in stores, but that's how she likes it, that's how she eats it. Try one time see if it will work for you.

CakePoet is absolutely correct. I've been to Naples a few times (where pizza, as we know it, originated), and not all pizza has cheese on it. And the ones that do aren't usually buried in cheese like we make it here in the states.

Pretty much this:
The Pizza Marinara Recipe and Preparation - Silvio Cicchi

To the original Poster again. The site above actually has the amount of calories per recipe, something you might want to consider checking since that's your concern.

To be honest, I don't like pizza with 1/2" of cheese on top - yuck! I like to taste all of the flavors, and too much cheese ruins the balance. I also don't care for the recent trend of overloading with meats, once again because that makes it unbalanced. If I go heavy on anything, it's the sauce... I like red pizza sauce, and too often they just brush on enough to barely paint the dough.

I guess I'm usually happiest when I make my own. I have found that I like the Walmart brand Sam's Choice Supreme thin crust frozen pizza. It has the typical frozen pizza crust which isn't the greatest, but the flavors are pretty good, with plenty of veggies. All I have to add before cooking is some red pepper flakes.

A good pizza I had recently, with minimal amount of cheese ( or no cheese at all if wish to opt out). Definitely not traditional

Use whatever dough you like, pre-bake it.
Make a pesto out of parsley/spinach/garlic/olive oil/ salt.
This pesto was spread on the already baked dough as the ' sauce'.
Then stir fry up some broccoli and asparagus, a little salt and garlic as well.
Place that on top of the pizza..
Using a microplane, grate some lemon rind, a little lemon juice, mix it into some ricotta cheese, and place a few dollops , scattered ( but not totally covering or a full layer) on top.

can either then toss it in he oven to warm a bit, or eat at room temp.

Definitely not traditional, but tastes good with minimal cheese ( or none if chose to do that way).

it is myth that pizza need cheese. Also some of the "original" pizza dont have cheese. Original pizza marinara doesnt have cheese and there is many other types that dont have cheese.

Whoever told you that was blowing smoke up your, uh, sleeve. The original Pizza de Napoli Margherita was topped with red tomato, white mozzarella cheese, and green basil leaves to represent the Italian flag.

Italian-American immigrants took it from there and started adding everything from the fishing boats, meat lockers and vegetable bins onto a pizza. The last straw was when some idiot decided to dump pineapple on it. If God wanted pineapple on pizza, he would have put Italy in the South Pacific!

Last edited:
It doesn't need much cheese.

The old timers in this area made what they called tomato pie on bread baking day, so the kids would have a snack when they got home from school. The local bakeries picked up on it and sold it by the slice, it is served at room temperature as a quick inexpensive snack. Everybody claims to have the original recipe but it is basically bread dough, thick tomato paste with a little garlic and oregano added, a drizzle of olive oil and a light dusting of grated Romano cheese. It still has a cult following in this area.

IMG_3918.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom