Plant based meringue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
A few years ago the plant based meringue recipes started coming out, using aqua faba from chickpeas in place of egg whites to make meringues.

Many of the recipes look like this:
1/2 cup aqua faba (from chickpeas)

1/4 t cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t vanilla
Whipping in this order or that, for this long or that long, then bake at around 200 deg F for 2 hours or more.

Few had pictures, and I wonder how many flops. So I started reading the comments on them, and half of them were flops.

So I didn't bother trying any until yesterday.

I used aqua faba from northern white beans cooked on the stove, then boiling it down a bit. I prefer the less beany taste of northern or any white bean to chick peas.

I used honey instead of refined sugar.
I added 1/4 t xanthan gum, when the deflated looking meringue in the kitchen aid, was not looking stiff enough.

I ended up with some nice 'angel' candy, or 'fairy' candy, with the texture of foam candy often found at christmas dipped in chocolate. It tastes like bit o' honey a little. (kind of a success) (whipping, 10 minutes, full speed, then another 10 minutes, full speed)

I'll have to try it again for meringue. A friend suggested maple syrup and when I get some I might try that. Or some coconut palm sugar which I have.

Other similar recipes using xanthan gum with cream of tarter, sugar, vanilla don't have to be baked and can be used for marshmallow fluff, another thing we'll try for fluffernutter sandwiches, maybe.

We don't eat much for sweets so it will be a while until we try anything like that again. If anyone has any experience with it, please share.

Back
Top Bottom