Plating Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in the serving dish camp. I don't know how much or what kinds of food a guest will want. Heck, I hardly know how much I will want before I start eating. :rolleyes:

I do occasionally plate a dessert and can imagine plating an appetizer. It might also be a good idea if one of the guests is a greedy bugger. :ermm::LOL:

But, I can see Steve's point.

Specially on holidays, I just use the serving bowls. I might plate the salad if it is going to be a special one. But that is all. And since I always just serve pie or cake for dessert, it is much easier to serve a normal size piece. They can always ask for seconds.

If I am going to have company for dinner, I simply don't have the room in the fridge for a bunch of plates of foods that might require refrigeration until served. :angel:

I enjoy making each plate look as beautiful as possible. But you have to know when it counts and when it doesn't count.
At home with my wife is when I pull out all the stops. Besides its only two(2) plates. Easy. Its three(3) plates now so still very easy. Provided I have the decorations.....lol

I had gone to the effort once to make a real nice/beautiful salad and presented it very nicely, when I had one guest say he did not eat "rabbit" food.
This is the same guy that when he was in Japan got mad because they did not understand why he wanted a steak. They actually did not even know what a steak was. He could not grasp the thought that some people eat small amounts of meat with many vegetables. You would think that in a different country, one would want to try all these new and exciting dishes. Not this slug.
He once walked away from the table when he saw I had a rare steak on my plate. And another time at a restaurant, put up his menu as a false wall as my roasted red snapper still had its head attached.
Let me tell you how beautiful this fish was displayed.

I knew right then, this BIL and I were not meant to get along.
Guess what. I cannot stand him and he me.
This chap is just plain rude.

"If you can't say anything real nice, don't talk at all, that's my advice" as the song says when eating with others particularly in their homes.

Due to my upbringing I have (wo)manfully swallowed some truly disgusting things in my time rather than risk upsetting the host(ess)!

Last edited:
Here's my first attempt after reading everyone's advice and doing some more reading online...

This is what I usually have for breakfast however this time I tried to make it more appealing to the eye.

What do you think? Feed back? I want it to be impressive but don't want to look like I'm trying too hard.

DSC_0141_2.jpg

For the fruit, I would try a shallow champagne glass. Maybe some mint or basil on the fruit--maybe some lemon zest. I would probably add some zest (orange, lemon, lime) to the edge of the square plate. And push the knife block out of the picture.

For the fruit, I would try a shallow champagne glass. Maybe some mint or basil on the fruit--maybe some lemon zest. I would probably add some zest (orange, lemon, lime) to the edge of the square plate. And push the knife block out of the picture.
Ah yes, the orange zest is a great idea. But I don't have any shallow champagne glasses :(

Back
Top Bottom