Please help! gummy bears and paraffin wax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelsperez

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I've tried searching all over the web and cannot find an answer for this. I have my heart set on vodka gummy bears for my wedding. They come out great, except they melt when they are out of the fridge and I wish to have them in bags on the tables.

Naturally, I'd imagine the solution is to lightly coat them in paraffin wax as they were originally sealed that way.

I just do not know how to go about this task. I have the wax. If I melt it and pour it over the gummies, they instantly melt and the wax hardens in clumps around them. If I wait for the wax to cool a bit, it just turns white like candle wax.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

This is probably waaaay too late, but if you're still attempting this, you could try adding some oil to your wax. Just straight vegetable oil. It thins the wax and makes it so it has to get cooler before setting up, so you could cool it more & possibly still have something liquid enough to pour. You'd have to experiment though. I've never tried this with food, I just know with paraffin treatments adding oil makes it so the wax can get hotter, but also makes it so it takes longer (and a cooler temp) to set. I don't know if it would make enough of a difference though, or how much you can add before it won't set firmly anymore. What happens if you freeze the gummies? Does it ruin the texture? A combo of adding oil to the wax and freezing the gummies beforehand, then putting them straight in the freezer to set might work. This is all just guesswork, though. Hopefully you've already found a solution!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom