Please ID this kitchen object

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure that many people felt it was easier to get the gadget properly washed and clean for the vegis than to get the drain board that was attached to the sink clean enough.

One thing that's interesting is that there's a pronounced rim at the end of the slanted side of the board (see the photos on Page 1). So, any runoff would basically collect at the rim rather than flow out into a built-in sink draining board.

This is definitely a peculiar device. :)

Last edited:

I had a sink up at the cottage that I just loved. Very similar to this one but a drain board on only one side.

Unbeknownst to me my husband (well, ex) got new cupboard and sink. I had not been there in 2 maybe 3 years, I nearly had a heart attack when I walked in. He had taken out a beautiful rustic hand built counter with the sink that perfectly matched the rest of the log cabin and installed the modern counter, cupboard and sink. Of course my second thought was "Where is the sink?" Sold, well at least it didn't go in the garbage.

Of course you all know my first thought was "That is sh** ugly and ruins the ambience of the whole place." Actually found out both my sons agree with me but ... it is his cottage... sigh (well, I had to let him have something..)

He had taken out a beautiful rustic hand built counter with the sink that perfectly matched the rest of the log cabin and installed the modern counter, cupboard and sink.

He never even asked you first? Or was it his cottage to begin with?

Of course you all know my first thought was "That is sh** ugly and ruins the ambience of the whole place." Actually found out both my sons agree with me but ... it is his cottage... sigh (well, I had to let him have something..)

That's too bad.

By the way, did Gwen from Sterilite ever respond to your last e-mail?

IOW, it was a badly designed item....

Well, if we knew what the slanted part was actually supposed to do, maybe we could form a more accurate opinion. :LOL:

Oh, one more thing. Even though there is a rim at the very end of the slanted part, there are sloping grooves on both sides (see the first photo on Page 1). So, while some liquid may pool at the bottom, the rest should run off into the colander part.

Last edited:
RE: Sterilite.com E-Mail Inquiry 0676
Irene Vega <ivega@sterilite.com>
Today, 11:34 AM

Dear Gwen,

Thank you for contacting Sterilite. I believe the item you are referring to is item 676 - Rinse and Drain Tray. This was a one-piece colander and drain board for over sink use. This item was found in our 1979-1980 catalog. I attached an image, is this the item you are referring to?

Hi Gwen! Nice to know your name. ;):)

He never even asked you first? Or was it his cottage to begin with?

By the way, did Gwen Irene from Sterilite ever respond to your last e-mail?

re: cottage - nope, it is his cottage... I have no say - but that doesn't mean he won't hear about it.

re: Irene - no, not yet - don't really expect a second answer. :rolleyes:

re: cottage - nope, it is his cottage... I have no say - but that doesn't mean he won't hear about it.

:)

re: Irene - no, not yet - don't really expect a second answer. :rolleyes:
Thanks—oops, sorry about mixing up your name with hers. That's typical "customer service," unfortunately.

Last edited:
I did receive an answer from Irene at Sterilite. Here 'tis with my reply as well.

Hi Irene,
No apologize necessary. We are happy for answers!
I think we had all come to the same general conclusion. It was that outside channel that was not very noticeable in the picture that put most people off, myself included.
So thank you again for your efforts to soothe our curiosity. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Gwen

Sent: September 6, 2018 2:46 PM
To: 'Gwen'
Subject: RE: Sterilite.com E-Mail Inquiry 0676

Hi Gwen,
My apologies for the delay. We had to so some investigating as this is a very old item. We do not have a definite answer, however we have two theories.

1. It is tilted up to keep the food from falling into the colander before you are ready to slide it in, instead of going in accidentally.

2. The channels on the outside are designed to drain the water back into the colander.

I hope this helps!
Kind regards,
Irene Vega

Consumer Support
Sterilite - Welcome

Thanks for the update. I'm glad we've learned about as much as there is to know about this contraption. :chef:

I did receive an answer from Irene at Sterilite. Here 'tis with my reply as well.
Hi Irene,
No apologize necessary. We are happy for answers!
I think we had all come to the same general conclusion. It was that outside channel that was not very noticeable in the picture that put most people off, myself included.
So thank you again for your efforts to soothe our curiosity. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Gwen

Sent: September 6, 2018 2:46 PM
To: 'Gwen'
Subject: RE: Sterilite.com E-Mail Inquiry 0676

Hi Gwen,
My apologies for the delay. We had to so some investigating as this is a very old item. We do not have a definite answer, however we have two theories.

1. It is tilted up to keep the food from falling into the colander before you are ready to slide it in, instead of going in accidentally.

2. The channels on the outside are designed to drain the water back into the colander.

I hope this helps!
Kind regards,
Irene Vega

Consumer Support
Sterilite - Welcome

Back
Top Bottom