Pomegranates--which tool to juice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay--I picked up a bunch of pomegranates. I have a number of recipes I want to try, but one I want to do is pomegranate molasses, for this, I need just the juice. Which would you use to juice the seeds--food mill, chinois (china cap), blender (straining afterwards), juicer, other tool?

I think a citrus juicer would work best. Cut pom in half and juice like an orange. Strain results through a coffee filter to remove particulates.

Coffee filter may be a bit much, imo. What pulp there is would back it up quickly I imagine, especially in the quantities OP is describing.

The jewels/pips of a pomegranate, though small, contain quite a bit of juice and isn't the pulpiest of fruits, but the seeds are the real dilemma. I would roll em whole to loosen things up, half them and beat em(on the outside) with a spoon to get out the goods. From there, maybe just a blender, and then run through a chinoise. A technique for smaller batches that works well is to put the pips into a zip top bag and roll with a rolling pin, then strain.

For really big batches, get all the little ruby bits of goodness and put them in a pot. Cover with just enough water to cover and bring to a simmer. The pop all on their own and just leaves you to strain. If you are going for a molasses, this may work best as you are going to have to cook it down substantially anyways.

I think TATTRAT has it!

An easy way to separate the seeds and pith is to do it underwater. No need for a bathing suit, just fill a big bowl with water, score the peel with a sharp knife, and pull the pom apart under the water. The seeds sink, the pith floats. And your fingers don't get stained.

I separate arils like sparrowgrass does. Makes it much easier.
I have never tried the Tattrat juices em, but run them in blender then strain. Works pretty good.

I recognize this is an old old thread but thought I'd toss in my 2¢ for the benefit of anybody stumbling across it via search engines or whatnot.

I tried making my own juice several years ago and discovered that within that pretty jewel-like pomegranate seed can be a very small but very hard white pit that'll break a tooth if you're not careful. If I was to do it today I'd strain the juice with a fine sieve or 90-grade cheesecloth.

The op mentions pomegranate molasses which I buy from the middle-eastern market and has recently become a regular pantry item and favorite ingredient. It's just pure juice reduced to a syrup and I've been using it a lot with kefir cheese and various other ingredients.

Here´s another 1c worth.:ROFLMAO:
In Venezuela, "batidos" ( fresh fruit juices) are very popular. Simply take a piece of fruit - it could be mango, passion fruit, melon, pineapple, strawberry, etc. and blitz it in a blender. Then strain it through a fine strainer ( the most common are fine metal mesh) and add ice.
Passion fruit, for example, has pretty unpleasant little seeds - they´re taken care of with the strainer.
Watermelon is another - lots of bitter black seeds - strained out. And soursop ( probably difficult to find in the US) has big black seeds - no problem.

Back
Top Bottom