Pork fat from picnic roast.....uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haroldathampton

Assistant Cook
I am making a crock pot of BBQ pulled pork but I had to cut away a thick cut of fat from the roast. Can this be saved/frozen and used in the future for anything. I know it is not salt cured so I am somewhat in doubt. Please advise.

Perfect for rendering. Cut into 1 inch pieces, fry until you have a pool of lard and a pile of pork cracklings. Yum!!!

The fat can be used the same way. You don't need skin for making cracklings. Just a low temp so you don't burn it.

I save it and use it for sausage. Sometimes there isn't enough with the pork I'm grinding.

Those bits usually get baked here for puppy teething treats.

]

woof!
:yum:

it's a great start to pea soup. render the fat, sautee diced carrots and onions in the rendered fat, transfer to crock pot, add dried split pea, stock, rosemary, optionally add ham and/or potatoes, cook until peas turn mushy.

e viola', pea soup.

Last edited:
haroldathampton said:
Well I cut it up into tablespoon size bits and froze them. I like the idea of the pea soup.

I freeze fat also. And use it for special meals. Usually in my case it's chicken fat but same concept. I will cook veggies in it or use it in matzoh balls or kishke

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom