Pork "NUT"... what is this cut called in the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
So we have this very popular cut of pork in Slovakia, we call it "pork nut" and I'm having trouble to find the proper EN word for this. What do you guys call it in US and is it even commonly sold?

It's a part of the leg and it's kinda round in shape, hence the name I guess.

It looks like this:

459-465_530-390.jpg

I can also buy a beef or veal "nut" which looks pretty much the same, just the size is different, but it's from the shoulder again.

Last edited:
My first thought when you desribed it is what we would call Pork Butt. Even though it is from the shoulder. Don't know how it got that name. :rolleyes:

But the picture does not resemble a Pork Butt. Here is a link on an article that you might find useful
Pork Chart of cuts

There are quite a few video's of trimming a Pork Butt (or also called a Boston Butt). Maybe if you watch some you might see a cut from it that resembles yours.

So we have this very popular cut of pork in Slovakia, we call it "pork nut" and I'm having trouble to find the proper EN word for this. What do you guys call it in US and is it even commonly sold?

I can also buy a beef or veal "nut" which looks pretty much the same, just the size is different, but it's from the shoulder again.

How is this nut usually cooked? Is it roasted, stewed, braised?

My first thought when you desribed it is what we would call Pork Butt. Even though it is from the shoulder. Don't know how it got that name. :rolleyes:

But the picture does not resemble a Pork Butt. Here is a link on an article that you might find useful

Pork Chart of cuts

There are quite a few video's of trimming a Pork Butt (or also called a Boston Butt). Maybe if you watch some you might see a cut from it that resembles yours.
The word "butt" comes from the name of the barrel used to transport pork shoulders centuries ago. You can read more about it here: https://www.seriouseats.com/what-is-pork-shoulder-boston-butt-picnic-shoulder .

It looks like this:

459-465_530-390.jpg

Is it from the front leg or the back leg? Which part of the leg - above or below (toward the feet) the joint?

Ahhh yes, thanks GG, now that I've read it I've remembered that I forgot that I did know why! LOL

and perhaps I mis-understood, he did say shoulder in his post.

Last edited:
So I have just watched a video in my language to see where exactly that NUT part is located... it's in the rear leg, next to the top round.

Then I tried to watch some US videos and although they didnt butcher the leg in the same way, I'd say the nut cut is called eye round? Or maybe its the bottom round :)

I hate how there are so many different names for the cuts used all over the world :)

Just for reference, the guy is cuttin out the "nut" in this video, I linked to the exact time where it happens. He removed the top round before this.

https://youtu.be/wXQEn_2HEZs?t=1507

Last edited:
How is this nut usually cooked? Is it roasted, stewed, braised?

It's pretty universal cut to be honest. I'm roasting it, braising or using it in a stir fry with more sauce, works great for a schnitzel too... It's not as dry as the other part of the rear leg but still quite lean.

Cookwewill, belated welcome. I'm sorry that I haven't noticed your posts until now. That isn't an apology. It is disappointment for neglecting no doubt valuable stuff. I tend to drift in and out of the forum. Looked at and followed your YouTube channel and blog. Nice job linking to the specifically relevant moment of the "pork nut" butchering video.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Cookwewill, belated welcome. I'm sorry that I haven't noticed your posts until now. That isn't an apology. It is disappointment for neglecting no doubt valuable stuff. I tend to drift in and out of the forum. Looked at and followed your YouTube channel and blog. Nice job linking to the specifically relevant moment of the "pork nut" butchering video.

Looking forward to hearing more.

No worries! I tend to do the same, there are so many sites, channles and whatnot that I follow so it's impossible to stick to just one place. Thanks for the YT follow! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom