Pork Schnitzel made from tenderloin served with a potato salad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
Schnitzel is a big thing in my country, like REAAALY big :)

I know people who make it every Sunday, all jokes aside! You can basically find it in every restaurant, it's the default festive dish for many people during specific seasons... Easter for example. Pretty much everyone loves it here, so let me show you how I make it.

First a photo of the finished thingy :)

F83DU2B.jpg

The most common cut of meat to use is the pork loin and it tastes great. The problem with this cut is that once overcooked, it becomes dry. So when making a pork schnitzel, I usually opt in for the tenderloin version.

Alternatively, you can use chicken breasts or boneless thighs/legs, pork neck or butt or even some high quality cut of beef.

And to stay as authentic as possible, you gotta serve the schnitzel with a rich potato salad. As always, there are MANY recipes for the salad so let me show you how I make mine :)

Do you prefer to watch a video? I just made one for my blog so here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mj9cyXaqg

And now the Ingredients list and instructions in text form:

For the pork schnitzels:

2 pork tenderloins about 500g (1 pound) each
3-4 eggs
approx. 300g (2 cups) all purpose flour
approx. 300g (3 cups) breadcrumbs
salt & pepper to taste

For the potato salad

1kg (2lb) potatoes (some waxy type)
8-10 pickled cucumbers
3-4 tbsp. pickle juice
1 cup canned carrots + peas
½ cup of canned sweet corn
250g (1 cup) mayonnaise
250g (1 cup) sour cream
1 large onion (sauteed)
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

Salad

1. Boil the potatoes with their skin on for 20-25 minutes. Let cool and remove skin.
2. Dice the potatoes finely and add them to a large bowl
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix properly.
4. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, then give it a taste add salt if needed.

Schnitzels

1. Clean the pork tenderloin and remove silver skin.
2. Cut into thicker pieces, 1.5 cm or 1/2 inch.
3. Pound the meat from both sides lightly.
4. Season with salt and pepper and coat in flour.
5. Beat 3-4 eggs and prepare the breadcrumbs.
6. Coat each piece in the eggs first, then the breadcrumbs.
7. Fry at medium high in vegetable oil, lard or clarified butter.
8. Once the color turns golden brown, the schnitzels are ready.
9. Serve with potato salad, slice of lemon and parsley for garnish.

That's it! Easy to make and tastes really great I think :)

How about you? Are you making schnitzels too? Have some favorite recipe? Lemme know :)

I prefer veal over pork for schnitzel (Wiener schnitzel), but when I make it with pork I use boneless center cut pork chops. I prefer to serve schnitzel with spätzle and sautéd red cabbage and apple.

To make the schnitzel, I pound the veal cutlets or pork chops about ¼-inch thick. I dredge them in flour, dip them in a light batter made with flour, egg, and sparkling water, and pan fry in about ½-inch of hot oil, turning once.

To make the spätzle, I make a batter from flour, eggs and milk, and season it with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. I use the large hole plate of my potato ricer to squeeze the batter into a pot of boiling water, boil for about 5 minutes, then I drain them and sauté them in bacon fat until slightly crispy. Schnitzel, spätzle and sautéd red cabbage and apples. Ein wunderbares Deutsches abendessen!

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I make my schnitzel. I'll have to try with pork tenderloin instead of pork loin. I like those smaller pieces. They will fit better onto the frying pan.

Thank you for the video, cookwewill. :)

I have never thought of using port tenderloin. Its my favorite pork. Will be doing so next schnitzel cook day. :yum:

Ross

I often used to buy those huge boneless pork loins at Cosco or Walmart when they were one special.

I would get 2 roasts and the rest were sliced up for chops and schnitzel. I know originally (in most of Europe) schnitzel was with veal, but here the price of veal is larger than my wallet.

Ergo.... Pork and Chicken Breasts become my version which I call "Poor Man's Weiner Schnitzel"

I prefer veal over pork for schnitzel (Wiener schnitzel), but when I make it with pork I use boneless center cut pork chops. I prefer to serve schnitzel with spätzle and sautéd red cabbage and apple.

To make the schnitzel, I pound the veal cutlets or pork chops about ¼-inch thick. I dredge them in flour, dip them in a light batter made with flour, egg, and sparkling water, and pan fry in about ½-inch of hot oil, turning once.

To make the spätzle, I make a batter from flour, eggs and milk, and season it with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. I use the large hole plate of my potato ricer to squeeze the batter into a pot of boiling water, boil for about 5 minutes, then I drain them and sauté them in bacon fat until slightly crispy. Schnitzel, spätzle and sautéd red cabbage and apples. Ein wunderbares Deutsches abendessen!

Oh yes please gimme some Spatzle, I totally love it. Never had them served with a schnitzel though.

I have a great recipe, I think, for Spatzle. Braised sauerkraut with bacon atop of a Spatzle base, topped with slow roasted pork butt... I love it!

That's pretty much how I make my schnitzel. I'll have to try with pork tenderloin instead of pork loin. I like those smaller pieces. They will fit better onto the frying pan.

The smaller size is exactly why my kids love these the most. I often use a chicken breast too and cut it crosswise so the pieces are small.

I often used to buy those huge boneless pork loins at Cosco or Walmart when they were one special.

I would get 2 roasts and the rest were sliced up for chops and schnitzel. I know originally (in most of Europe) schnitzel was with veal, but here the price of veal is larger than my wallet.

Ergo.... Pork and Chicken Breasts become my version which I call "Poor Man's Weiner Schnitzel"

Actually, pretty much no-one I know is using veal for schnitzels unless they want to make the real Wiener. Pork loin is the most common choice by far, then chicken breast, then the tenderloin. Veal is quite expensive over here too and the selection is limited because of that, so sometimes it's hard to find a nice cut for sale.

I've been to restaurants that bring out a schnitzel so big it hung over the edges of the plate. I don't find that impressive. Whenever I make cutlets, I cut the meat down to manageable sizes.

Indiana is known for their tenderloin sandwiches. Since it's an almost 400 mile drive for you, here's an article about making them yourself:

https://visitindiana.com/blog/index.php/2020/04/24/pork-tenderloin-recipe/
As a copy editor and enthusiastic home cook, this article really annoys me [emoji38] It goes back and forth between "pork loin" and "tenderloin," as if there's no difference. They are entirely different cuts, as you know. Sounds great, though. I need to remember to try these sometime.

I've been to restaurants that bring out a schnitzel so big it hung over the edges of the plate. I don't find that impressive. Whenever I make cutlets, I cut the meat down to manageable sizes.

We've got places like this here too, they call these super large schnitzels the "elephants ear"... kinda hard to work with it on the plate but my kids love these too, probably because they find the size funny in some way :)

Other than Germany, never had any in a restaurant. But I did make some elephant ears from a couple of chicken breasts. Had to use my largest fry pan.

How is it that one can eat a whole chicken breast without a problem. Flatten that same breast into a schnitzl and it becomes enough for two!

Other than Germany, never had any in a restaurant. But I did make some elephant ears from a couple of chicken breasts. Had to use my largest fry pan.

How is it that one can eat a whole chicken breast without a problem. Flatten that same breast into a schnitzl and it becomes enough for two!

That's part of the beauty of schnitzel. It's a very tasty way to stretch the meat.

The only resto where I have schnitzel at was in Montreal, on Park Ave. It was called Checkpoint Charley. The owner and one of two chefs, is from Austria. The other chef was from Sri Lanka and had worked as a chef in Germany. Anyhoo, they made wonderful schnitzel sandwiches and watching them was how I learned to make schnitzel.

And in case anyone doesn't know this yet, chicken fried steak is basically beef schnitzel, "invented" by German and Austrian immigrants to Texas.

Back
Top Bottom