Portable electric generators? Why/why not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
So many of you live in places where you lose power on a regular basis due to bad weather, and bad weather is sure to come. I'm wondering how many of our members have one, and if not, why not?

I know the decent ones can cost as much as a kitchen refrigerator, but I'd think when you've lost all of your refrigerated and frozen food more than once, you'd certainly want one.

The reason I'm asking is SC's sister lives in New York, and she doesn't have one. They have a big home, a place to store one, more than enough money to buy one but every time their power goes out, she relies on her neighbors generator for sharing their generated power. I can't imagine doing that more than once myself, then again, I hate putting people out.
Her brother, the SousChef, says because of the kindness of her neighbor, there's no incentive for her to buy one. I say she's too cheap. Could there be another reason?

So many of you live in places where you lose power on a regular basis due to bad weather, and bad weather is sure to come. I'm wondering how many of our members have one, and if not, why not?

I know the decent ones can cost as much as a kitchen refrigerator, but I'd think when you've lost all of your refrigerated and frozen food more than once, you'd certainly want one.

The reason I'm asking is SC's sister lives in New York, and she doesn't have one. They have a big home, a place to store one, more than enough money to buy one but every time their power goes out, she relies on her neighbors generator for sharing their generated power. I can't imagine doing that more than once myself, then again, I hate putting people out.
Her brother, the SousChef, says because of the kindness of her neighbor, there's no incentive for her to buy one. I say she's too cheap. Could there be another reason?

Living in a place that where we can and do loose power often.It's an absolute necessity for heath reasons (medical equipment) that"s why we bought one.

An incentive to get one is what if they move?

Does SC's sister offer to to buy extra extension cords?

Pay for the fuel, oil maintenance of keeping one up to use in an emergency? Lifting those heavy fuel containers isn't exactly a fun thing to do in the middle of the night. Not cheap either.

They are noisy.On the down side if others hear one they also know who to rip off.Keep it in a safe covered place.

Last edited:
An electric generator? How exactly would you run one when the power is out? ;)

We have a gas generator because camping in the house gets old after a day or two - especially if it's hot and humid. We took a tax deduction on it, too, because I'm on medication that needs to be refrigerated. We don't want to depend on someone else for that. I think we paid about $700 for it.

After our neighborhood lost power for two weeks in 2003 due to Hurricane Isabel, most of our neighbors bought generators. We keep ours in a locked shed in the backyard, inside a privacy fence with a locked back gate to the alley.

I agree with Souschef about her reasoning, although I wouldn't do it, either. Does your SIL offer to reimburse them for part of the fuel cost?

Last edited:
When I lived in SE Ohio, the electricity went out on a regular basis. The longest time was 7 days when the derecho passed through a few years ago. Yes, we had a generator....this one..Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
and I brought it with me to NM because I couldn't imagine living without one. Haven't had to use it because power outages out here don't last but a few hours. Not all generators are noisy.

We live in an area where power failures are few and far between. They seldom last very long at all. A few years ago we had an extended power failure that lasted 3-4 days. Lost some stuff in the fridge and were inconvenienced. We don't have a generator and, given the odds, I won't get one.

We have a 5.7Kw, gas engine driven generator, with 120V and 230V taps. When Wilma hit, we ran a small window shaker AC, our fridge and deep freezer, plus our neighbors fridge. I will never go through a hurricane season with out one.

DH and I have discussed getting a generator. We really haven't lost power for long, probably a few hours at most, but we have had areas nearby that have been hit by tornadoes, and either had their homes destroyed, or have been without power for days. We also have the potential for major blizzards and floods. So far so good, we haven't needed a generator yet.

I guess if your SIL lives in an area that frequently requires a generator, she should probably get one. But if the neighbor doesn't mind, and if she throws a few bucks his way, no harm sharing.

Where is the generator when it's running? I was told they are a health hazard to run indoors because of the exhaust.

We have a brick and stone patio right behind the house, so the generator sits on that. Then there's a water-proof extension cord that we bring into the house and connect a power strip to it.

Always outside. A photo of one of the numerous times I used this.

Attachments

• DSCN4354.jpg
    DSCN4354.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 171
That's weird, I don't know why the title of this thread was changed. Anyway, thanks for the responses and my wish for all of us, is no need at all for generators for any reason.

We have a 5.7Kw, gas engine driven generator, with 120V and 230V taps. When Wilma hit, we ran a small window shaker AC, our fridge and deep freezer, plus our neighbors fridge. I will never go through a hurricane season with out one.

And he forgot to add, at meal times we'd unplug the deep freezer and/or fridge and have power to run the microwave and/or toaster oven and/or a little 2-element electric buffet line stove. We ate VERY well for not having regular power. I think we even plugged up the TV a time or 2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom