Portion help (College)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JakeDLarley

Assistant Cook
Okay, I am not very good with portion control and in a main section so I need help on portioning a whole chicken into 4 portions (good white to dark meat mix) the recipe is a chicken chasseur one.

Okay, I am not very good with portion control and in a main section so I need help on portioning a whole chicken into 4 portions (good white to dark meat mix) the recipe is a chicken chasseur one.

Quartering is easy. But you end up with 2 white meat and 2 dark meat quarters.

lemongrass_chicken1.jpg

The video below is pretty much the method I use for sectioning a chicken. If you only want four sections, then I would suggest leaving the leg/thigh and breast/wing pieces attached. Unfortunately, you are not going to get a white and dark meat mix in each section as legs/thighs are dark meat and breasts/wings are white. Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking.

how-to-cut-up-a-chicken.m4v - YouTube

The video below is pretty much the method I use for sectioning a chicken. If you only want four sections, then I would suggest leaving the leg/thigh and breast/wing pieces attached. Unfortunately, you are not going to get a white and dark meat mix in each section as legs/thighs are dark meat and breasts/wings are white. Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking.

how-to-cut-up-a-chicken.m4v - YouTube

Sorry, i dont think i made it clear enough aha :) Im cutting it for saute (so all seperate peices, then Im making 4 portions out of it :)

Sorry, i dont think i made it clear enough aha :) Im cutting it for saute (so all seperate peices, then Im making 4 portions out of it :)
Here's what I would do. Cut the bird up into legs, thighs, breasts, and wings. Save the wings for another application and divide each breast into two pieces. This will give you eight pieces. Pair a breast piece with either a thigh or leg. That will give everyone one dark piece and one light.

Last edited:
Here's what I would do. Cut the bird up into legs, thighs, breasts, and wings. Save the wings for another application and divide each breast into two pieces. This will give you eight pieces. Pair a breast piece with either a thigh or leg. That will give everyone one dark piece and one light.

thanks a bunch man! :) Im also doing a potato garnish to go with chicken chasseur, Any ideas? I have 90 mins to do it all

Chicken Chasseur is essentially a rustic dish ("chasseur" means "hunter"), so I would also do a rustic application with the potatoes. Leave the skin on, cut into bite size pieces, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Roast in a 200° C oven for 40 minutes until fork tender.

Or you could just go with a simple mash and use any extra sauce from the chicken as a gravy.

Chicken Chasseur is essentially a rustic dish ("chasseur" means "hunter"), so I would also do a rustic application with the potatoes. Leave the skin on, cut into bite size pieces, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Roast in a 200° C oven for 40 minutes until fork tender.

Or you could just go with a simple mash and use any extra sauce from the chicken as a gravy.

I was thinking mash, But im getting graded on it all so i dont know if its best to do something abit different like the ones you just said :P

Back
Top Bottom