Post Super Bowl 2/6/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
We had a blast with our little party last night!

I am repurposing leftover plastic cheese dip, throw in some beer, chicken broth, and sautéed veg. So beer cheese soup.

And you?

Last edited:
Craig made our chicken and andouille gumbo with very hot Cajun sauce from Paul Prudhomme's recipes, except he subbed our andouille for tasso. He asked me to make up the spice mix so I followed the recipe with my notes on cutting down cayenne when using our homemade tasso and making a guess since we were using andouille. Well, I should have cut way down for andouille too. I could hardly eat it even without the sauce. Thank goodness for gin and tonic water. It had a great flavor but I'll be making additional notes. He'll post a pic later.

I resurrected some Hungarian goulash from the freezer and cooked up some egg noodles and broccoli to go with it.

DW made her carbo-load chicken soup (served with boiled spuds over wide egg noodles) since my boy and have the flu.

No rest for the wicked or weary, though, as I'm on my way to work. I normally rail against folks who go to work sick, but I can sit in an office by myself tonight so as not to spread disease.

Last edited:
Nice to see someone else is making their own tasso. You can't buy it anywhere outside of Louisiana -- and it ain't always easy to find there. And yes, you need to cut back on the spices AND salt when you use tasso in your gumbo -- and wait till the end of your cook to adjust heat and salt. That stuff adds a lot of both as it cooks.

Tonight, I had a chopped beef sandwich made from leftover smoked chuck roast. I had a little crab pasta salad that I made yesterday on the side.

CD

Smoked some fresh cought trout.

img_1498089_0_c20e36ac62cd3904cdf0b05ed74ebbd0.jpg

Remember last night's soup-a-thon? Some of it became tonight's leftover soup supper - along with a single portion of the barley-mushroom soup I made last week. We're now down to 1+ suppers of soup. The creamy chicken with wild rice will go into the freezer tomorrow as soon as my neighbor picks up her boatload of soups I've been setting aside for her since last month.

Not inspired today, so I pulled some homemade minestrone soup out of the freezer and served French-dip sandwiches using the leftover roast beef and au jus. Mom had peaches instead of a side salad, Dad had a side salad. I had a salad topped with sliced roast beef drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

Karen must have been thinking of DD's chihuahua when she wrote "Gumbo", we actually had chicken and andouille (homemade) jambalaya. I had mine with a spicy Creole sauce.:yum:

37240-albums1071-picture6857.jpg

Nice to see someone else is making their own tasso. You can't buy it anywhere outside of Louisiana -- and it ain't always easy to find there. And yes, you need to cut back on the spices AND salt when you use tasso in your gumbo -- and wait till the end of your cook to adjust heat and salt. That stuff adds a lot of both as it cooks.

Tonight, I had a chopped beef sandwich made from leftover smoked chuck roast. I had a little crab pasta salad that I made yesterday on the side.

CD

We've made our own andouille and tasso for years. We'll make 10-15 pounds of andouille and 5-8 pounds of tasso usually about twice a year. There used to be a place we could get both, surprisingly enough a fish market, though that's because they'd drive a truck up to LA once a week during crawfish season and bring back a truckload. But, the prices were sky high for the tasso and andouille. Pretty pricey for the crawfish compared to what they cost in LA too, but not as bad as the pork products. Craig used to go to NOLA on occasion for work and he'd always bring some back, but they never lasted long. He keeps saying he's going to try his hand at boudin, but hasn't yet.

I have no idea why I wrote gumbo instead of jambalya. Probably because we make gumbo more often than we make jambalya.

You make gumbo out of chihuahuas?

Gumbo is his name and he wouldn't make good gumbo, he's spoiled ROTTEN! His feet hardly hit the floor because somebody is always carrying him. They also have Voodoo, Majik and Ghost, the latter 2 are kitties and Ghost's color gave him his name. DD went to college in NOLA, her favorite city in the U.S., met SIL :rolleyes: there (he's a native, born across the river from NOLA), and had 1 of our GDDs there. But, she started missing S FLA so they moved, but still love NOLA.

Oh, thank God. I thought you might be getting a little too "farm to table" on us... Lol. J/k.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom