Poultry shears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a dear friend who has managed to remove two said digits a few years apart with a table saw and a band saw. He has a PhD. We do refer to him as the absent minded professor. Another friend recently lost a finger due to an accident with an industrial electric drain snake.

I'd like to point out the importance of safety while using tools...mostly because I can...point, that is:rolleyes:

Are your Dexter ones like these?
poultry/kitchen shears
The Dexter-Russell factory isn't too far from me. I love my 8" chef's knife I got at their outlet for under $4. Wonder if I could get a steal deal like that on the shears.

Those are the ones! I like them a lot, they come apart for cleaning and are dishwasher safe.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Thanks, bc! I'll head over to D-R some Thursday evening when the temps are so danged cold! They have a "seconds" store that is open to the public just Thursdays till 8. The chef's knife I got for something like $3.70 was perfectly new except that it had been on display somewhere. Before you take it home they make sure they professionally sharpen it for you, so how can you beat that price?

I agree if you cut birds up, you need poultry shears, sure you can get regualr kitchen shears to do it, but its dangerous if you are capable of putting a lot of pressure on them, they can open up, snap, slip, etc... With poultry shears you can really press them and not have much trouble going through bone.

I have put off buying a set, hopefully mine come soon, I am going to cut up a few chickens the day them come, I but wholes, and cut them, breast, leg, wing, thigh... Also when I debone turkeys, you need a good shear.

this is my chicken stuffed turkey
img_1408446_0_989be204c52be6a5868949142f5ab4f6.jpg

here it is all stiched back up...
img_1408446_1_9086e3ef73ee478e866542998a615a1b.jpg
Nice. I like to use a surgical staple gun when I'm sewing up birds...I always make sure to count the # of staples I put in before I cook the bird.

Nice. I like to use a surgical staple gun when I'm sewing up birds...I always make sure to count the # of staples I put in before I cook the bird.

Thanks, I have learned a few things for this process, 1 trick is to cut the skin so when you remove the backbone you dont remove any skin, that is the strongest part to sew through and will hold better than the skin on the side of the back bone, letting you stuff the bird stronger and making the entire process easier. 2 to hold the bird together while stitching use an old leather belt, 3 use the sr8 string and a ss hook needle 4 cook a stuffed bird in a pan that touches the sides of the bird while cooking, so in other words a pan too small for the bird, and you will need to keep removing the drippings and I use a pan under neath it in case it overflows...

I have it down to an art, no one can ever tell I deboned and stuffed a chicken in the bird after its cooked...

The staples are a good idea but I would be nervous about someone eating one, we have 35-45+ people over for thanksgiving and you can picture what a frenzy it is when it comes to carving and serving time...

Thanks, bc! I'll head over to D-R some Thursday evening when the temps are so danged cold! They have a "seconds" store that is open to the public just Thursdays till 8. The chef's knife I got for something like $3.70 was perfectly new except that it had been on display somewhere. Before you take it home they make sure they professionally sharpen it for you, so how can you beat that price?

You are lucky to live near there! I really enjoy Dexter Russell products. If I didn't have the fancy pants Wusthof knives that were given to me as a gift, I'd likely have Dexter Russell knives.

You are lucky to live near there! I really enjoy Dexter Russell products. If I didn't have the fancy pants Wusthof knives that were given to me as a gift, I'd likely have Dexter Russell knives.

I just got my first DR knife, a bread slicer. I love it already. If I ever need to buy another knife, it will likely be DR.

I like the Dexter-Russells because I can get the really cheap "seconds". My most recent love, however, are the knives by Rada. I know we've talked about them elsewhere. When I looked through a really large display of their stuff at Walnut Creek Cheese I didn't see any scissors.

I have shears that came with two knife sets, Henckels and Chicago Cutlery. I've used them to deconstruct whole chickens but prefer to use a knife. I've never used actual poultry shears. Maybe they would change my mind about using a knife.

I like the Dexter-Russells because I can get the really cheap "seconds". My most recent love, however, are the knives by Rada. I know we've talked about them elsewhere. When I looked through a really large display of their stuff at Walnut Creek Cheese I didn't see any scissors.

My first set of knives were Rada, I bought them one at a time at the flea market. I gave them to my niece and she's still using them. I did keep one of the paring knives and the bread slicer for myself. That skinny bread slicer is awesome for splitting cake layers.

Back
Top Bottom