Prayer request for our wonderful neighbours.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
We have the most heartwarmingly wonderful neighbours.
Two weeks ago yesterday in the early hours of the morning John suffered a very dense stroke and was rushed to hospital. He got there within an hour which was a big plus.
He is paralysed down one side and the Consultant has warned Sheila that things will never be quite the same again. His speech is still affected as well.
Of the 4 of us he was the fittest; slim, active and never ill. This has been a trauma for all of their family and turned their lives and their Christmas upside down quite literally overnight. He will be in hospital for quite a few months as although there is progress it is glimmer by glimmer each day.
Sheila is coping with huge reserves of courage. We are all taking it in turn to drive her to and from the hospital as it is a 30 min. journey away and she and John do not drive or own a car.
I just wanted to ask if all of you would spare a thought for them, they are such lovely people. It's been a wake up call for all of us. Our little grand daughter is very fond of them and her Mother ( our daughter) has phoned every day to see how he is doing.

You are such warm hearted caring people that I just know you will send a few positive thoughts their way? Heartfelt thanks.

Consider them thought of. How sad. My thoughts are with your wonderful neighbors.
May the spirits bless them through this holiday season.

My sil had a massive stroke, and at the beginning one half of her body was entirely paralyzed.

Now, about two years later, with therapy, she is walking and her arm is coming back.

This is not the time for John's family and friends to lose heart. Many folks come back greatly from strokes.

I know it is tough for them, but they are lucky to have friends like you.

Best of the season to them and to you.

God bless.

It's good to hear of your S i L's progress Aunt D. Thanks for that. Sheila is truly amazing. She will not give up. She wears a different outfit to the hospital every day because John always loves to see her, she is so elegant. It's good for her morale too. She is one of those rare people who could wear a dustbin bag with panache and style!

Memories

This brings back such waves of overpowering memories for me. My cousin, who has been crippled for almost 20 years from disease that was inherited from his mother, had been cared for by his faithful wife. Prior to his passing, his wife suffered a stroke. This was so devastating to the family. We thought everything was going to come to an end. However, even though she was paralyzed on one side she continued to take care of him for another 5 years until his death. This only confirms my faith that her prayers were not heard. What is even more of a surprise was her father who is 95 had come to live with them only 6 months before my cousin passed. He continues to still live with her and could surely work rings around many of my family. With God, all things are possible.

I am grateful you are neighbors with such wonderful people. We should all be so lucky to be close to our neighbors and help them in their time of need. You can be sure that my prayers for you and your neighbors will be said. It is not easy to hear this at this special time of year but knowing they are the kind of neighbors you care about so much assures me they will be well taken care of. I am praying this his recovery will be accepted with much hope and love in the coming days.

Keep us posted, csalt.

As ever, you DC'ers are so kind it brings tears to my eyes and I'm not a weepy person!!

Have added John and Sheila to mine and others' prayers. What a wonderful support group your neighbors have in you and your family. Keep the faith. Love and peace. :) Dawn T

Wishing John a speedy recovery. Sending thought and prayers to him and Sheila. I can't imagine what they are going through. God Bless them both. Thank you for being such a good neighbor.

I will absolutely keep John and Sheila in my thoughts now and in the long months of recovery ahead. A stroke is so hard for everyone. Not being able to communicate like before when your thought processes are working fine is unbearably frustrating. Be sure and tell them both that folks all over the world are rooting for them and wishing John a speedy and complete recovery. They are already blessed with wonderful neighbors like you!

I can tell you, of all the places to come for aid, you've chosen the best place in the world..I know, because not to long ago, I needed prayers and this group of wonderful people, helped me through a tough time...Their prayers and good thoughts gave me the strength to believe, I could make it and I did...So I am happy to give something back.. Many prayers and good thoughts for John and Sheila are on the way...

kadesma

A Small Update

John is now off the drip; off the feeding tube and off the catheter.

He is sat out of bed on the wheelchair sometimes and is having fairly intense phsyio as still paralysed down one side.

He keeps trying to get out of the chair and is getting rather frustrated and as we often do, taking it out on Sheila, his nearest and dearest. Sheila is such a stalwart but she knows there is many a rocky, hurtful time ahead as John tries to vent his frustration.
My heart goes out to her. As a relatively recent Caregiver I found this to be very common, especially with Alzheimer Sufferers but it's much harder when it's the person you love most in all the world.
Thankfully she can talk about it and doesn't try to bottle it up.
We were laughing because John told her he 'had a stiff brain'...a few seconds later I couldn't remember something I was trying to tell her about so said ' I have a stiff brain too!' we agreed it was going to become a permanent saying!!;)
Thanks all for your positive vibes and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom