Pre-Peeled Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If anyone wants to barter, I have just harvested cured garlic for........citrus fruit, pecans unshelled, peanuts unshelled, anything else you grow and we don't have in the upper US, just PM me.

Your post brought a flashback to my grandmother!

She used to barter with people all over the country when we were kids. She swapped for oranges, grapefruit, honey, pecans, all sorts of things. It was not so much about the things that she got but, the lifelong friendships she developed all over the country.

It is nice to see that it is still happening!

That reminds me. I need an orange for a marinade I'm making tomorrow.
Thanks Aunt Bea.

The pre-peeled garlic sold locally here is peeled at the store, it only costs about 20 cents more per lb, and tastes just as good. It doesn't stay as fresh as long as normal garlic heads, but if you have to peel 20 cloves of garlic for a big batch of something... just get the pre-peeled and you're saving yourself a good 10-15 minutes.

That jarred, chopped garlic is sickening. Stay away from it at all costs. And I've never found a good garlic paste either.

I've been using what I bought for the last few days and so far, been loving it.

This is also peeled and packed at the store and very fresh. I am happy to say there is no odor in my fridge. The plastic container the garlic is packed in is a heavy duty deli type container.

And you are right, that pre-chopped stuff in the jars is vile. Nothing resembling garlic, IMHO.

I've been using what I bought for the last few days and so far, been loving it.

This is also peeled and packed at the store and very fresh. I am happy to say there is no odor in my fridge. The plastic container the garlic is packed in is a heavy duty deli type container.

And you are right, that pre-chopped stuff in the jars is vile. Nothing resembling garlic, IMHO.

What brand did you get? I want to make sure I stay away from it.
The jarred stuff I used wasn't nearly as good as fresh, but it certainly wasn't vile. Especially rolling it up in sausage and smoking it for three hours. I want to make sure I stay away from anything vile tasting though. I don't need to be ruining food with something that leaches bad flavor. I might as well use the powdered spice if that's the case.

pacanis said:
What brand did you get? I want to make sure I stay away from it.
The jarred stuff I used wasn't nearly as good as fresh, but it certainly wasn't vile. Especially rolling it up in sausage and smoking it for three hours. I want to make sure I stay away from anything vile tasting though. I don't need to be ruining food with something that leaches bad flavor. I might as well use the powdered spice if that's the case.

I always have a jar of Spice World Minced Garlic in the fridge, and I don't find it vile at all. Just very convenient. Use it in sauces, CP stuff, anything calling for garlic. It has a nice long shelf life, just make sure to keep it in the fridge.

Aunt Bea--I'm not a grandmother, yet, though I've met some awesome people over time. One lovely family sent me quilting fabric and pickled hot peppers for some of my homemade soaps. Once I received a 25 lb bag of pecans! It's always a shame when someone has an abundance of something and it has to go to waste. Last month I received some legal advice for some garlic. I just never know what will happen!

Pacanis--absolutely loved your BLOG!!!!!!!!! ;) SO unique.;) I usually have trouble with my short attention span--your blog was the answer to that! :angel: (your signature line made me laugh)

I always have a jar of Spice World Minced Garlic in the fridge, and I don't find it vile at all. Just very convenient. Use it in sauces, CP stuff, anything calling for garlic. It has a nice long shelf life, just make sure to keep it in the fridge.

I think Spice World might have been the kind I had. It had a bluish lid... I think :rolleyes:. I thought I had some in the pantry, but I guess not.

I use the "Christopher Ranch" California grown minced garlic. I love the stuff. It a bit different than fresh minced garlic, but not so much that I've noticed it in meals. I tend to use a *lot* of garlic, so if it's a bit weaker in flavor, the amounts I use compensates for it.

I seriously love garlic...:pig:

Uncle Bob said:
I prefer fresh, but I do buy a (jar) Garlic/Ginger mix that's pretty darn good in Asian dishes..

That sounds really good! Where did you find it, UB?

What brand is the garlic ginger mix because I only find Swad brand and it's not that good in my opinion, rather putrid, and neither is their garam masala as it has too much cinnamon.

That sounds really good! Where did you find it, UB?

I can only find it in an Indian/Pakistani market, and it is the SWAD brand....As to it's quality....I have nothing to compare it to, so I can give no real meaningful review.....Nothing can compare to fresh garlic and ginger....but we do enjoy it from time to time.....Thanks

I have been using Dorit brand minced frozen garlic from Trader Joes. I love it! It is frozen in one tbs amounts so it is super easy to use and it tastes really good.

Yep, I have the basil in my freezer too. The basil I was not impressed with, but it was better than not having any basil. The garlic is by far my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom