Prepared pickled cucumbers today but they a floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I partially fill a CLEAN bag with some brine, then put the bag in the container and then pour in more brine, making sure the bag spreads out and covers the surface.

The bag of brine will sit on top of your pickles, keeping them and the other bits underneath the bag.

You will probably get some air bubbles as your pickles ferment, especially if they are not the refrigerated from the very beginning type. Just keep an eye on the container and open it every couple of days that you let them ferment so there is not a gas build up.

Also, when I make fermented pickles or sauerkraut or kimchi, I set the container inside of a plastic container so if there is any bubble over of liquid from the fermentation process I don't have a mess to clean up.

As long as your cucumbers are not showing any signs of mold or rot then you should be fine to use a bag to weight them down.

Last edited:
You are correct medtran. My meaning was if brine was not immediately available he could use water in a pinch if necessary - and hope the bag would not break.
I should have been more specific.

so i went to buy some pickles because of the unsuccessful pickles i've made myself....

they didn't fill the container with brine to the top. is that a huge problem?

how long can i keep it with only half container filled with brine?

Attachments

• f0b2f4cd-0e6c-410c-aa3e-9fe5d62091c8.jpeg
    f0b2f4cd-0e6c-410c-aa3e-9fe5d62091c8.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
No, as in all probability they were not brined in that container to begin with. They are now pickled and will be like any other pickle you have had.

How long have other pickles you have had lasted?

I repeat, they are already fully brined and should last as long as any other. The fact that the bine level is lower only means that the ones sticking out might get a bit dry.

They were not brined like that - the lesser amount of liquid only happened after they were finished brining and put into different containers.

interesting
in the past the guy from the shop told me that it's important that they are submerged fully

thanks for the clarification

they are very tasty

LOL - glad to have been of help...

Next time someone tells you that something HAS TO BE done or kept or anything, a certain way - always ask WHY. It will save a lot of wondering when it does not get done.

and did you ask him WHY? it got white? or would go bad?

and why are you confused? it is really nothing different to what we were saying, just more.

Methinks you are overthinking and confusing yourself.

and did you ask him WHY? it got white? or would go bad?

and why are you confused? it is really nothing different to what we were saying, just more.

Methinks you are overthinking and confusing yourself.
i dont think he knows why so i didnt wanted to cause discomfort

i dont think he knows why so i didnt wanted to cause discomfort
If he doesn't know why, then he is, maybe not the last person, but certainly not the first person I would ask for advise.

If you ask too many people you are just going to confuse yourself. Almost everyone is saying the same thing but in different ways. That becomes confusing to a newbie.
Plus, just use common sense.
You are pickling something, which means it is submersed in a brine. If it is sticking out of the brine it will not get pickled. What is so confusing about that?
That's why you put weights on them to keep them submerged.
Submerged = pickled
Not submerged = rot - and it doesn't matter if it is green, pink, purple, white .... rot is rot. AND if it is not actually rotted - it has dried out. In either case it is inedible -

Just an alternative way:
You could put the cucumbers in a (good quality) plastic bag filled with brine. Then squeeze out as much air as possible and close the bag. Your cucumbers will now be in full contact with the brine.

If this whole process scares you, then pickle in a vinegar solution ;)

Just an alternative way:
You could put the cucumbers in a (good quality) plastic bag filled with brine. Then squeeze out as much air as possible and close the bag. Your cucumbers will now be in full contact with the brine.

If this whole process scares you, then pickle in a vinegar solution ;)
My first thought was, "great idea". Then I started wondering about the gases that fermenting gives off. How do you deal with that in a closed plastic bag? Do you open the bag every day and then close it? I think it would be a good idea to have this bag in a bowl, in case the fermentation produces enough gases to pop the bag open.

My first thought was, "great idea". Then I started wondering about the gases that fermenting gives off. How do you deal with that in a closed plastic bag? Do you open the bag every day and then close it? I think it would be a good idea to have this bag in a bowl, in case the fermentation produces enough gases to pop the bag open.
You are absolutely correct. I didn't think this through properly.
But, since I got a spare cucumber, I'm going to try it with a zip lock back.
Opening occassionally to let the gases out

Experiment is on the way.
So far, it's just cucumber and salt to see if it releases enough liquid.
If not, then I'll add some brine.

Bag is lying in a bowl, just in case ;)

So far so good.
Almost enough liquid to cover the cucumber pieces. I'm moving the pieces whenever I walk past.
Today, I noticed a slight built up of gas. I just left it.
I'll report back in a week or so, but if I don't, then please remind me

So far so good.
Almost enough liquid to cover the cucumber pieces. I'm moving the pieces whenever I walk past.
Today, I noticed a slight built up of gas. I just left it.
I'll report back in a week or so, but if I don't, then please remind me
Nudge nudge. How's the pickle experiment going?

Back
Top Bottom