President's Day dinner - Monday 17 Feb 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
So what is everyone making tonight?

We are having Swiss Steak and mashed potatoes here. Probably make some asparagus too. It is on sale this week so I picked up a bunch to eat now and some to freeze for later.

Nothing presidential here, and I'm a day late for the close of Chinese New Year celebrations. I'm making moo goo gai pan. Himself will have to deal with brown rice since I'm trying to make it a little healthier. BwaHaHa!

SO is off today and we are going to Bahama Breeze for happy hour tonight. Their version of happy hour is half price appetizers. We'll make a meal of them.

Either leftover pizza from DH's snowed-in workplace, or leftover beef bourguignon.

I did a Sam's club run this afternoon. DH is home for the holiday. I picked up some ribeye steaks and I'll fry up some french fries and make salads to go with it.

Yesterday's beef stew seemed sort of plain. Not sure why. It's going in the freezer until I can decide what it needs to make it more flavorful.

I decided to make Tacos tonight. Plus I cut up 2 containers of fresh pineapple earlier today.

I just took a steak out to thaw. I'll slap that baby on the grill with a couple spuds and some garlic bread. B sprouts on the side.

I vote for pizza!

:( DH just called, all the work pizza disappeared. And my mouth was just set for it. :(

Update :wub: DH called again, he found a couple slices of taco pizza in the work fridge! And will bring them home for me! Not my favorite, but it will do!

Last edited:
I found out I am super anemic today so will be having spinach and kale with maybe a small piece of chicken and some potato wedges.

TB said if I am a good girl and eat all my food I will get ice cream for dessert! :angel:

Both Stirling and I are feeling kinda out of it today. Neither one of us was willing to boil some pasta, so we ordered from Bofingers. I ordered BBQ beef ribs and Stirling got a pulled pork sandwich. Yummy as usual. They gave me a really big serving, so I have snacks. :pig: I really like their citrusy "Alabama sauce", hardly sweet at all.

I found out I am super anemic today so will be having spinach and kale with maybe a small piece of chicken and some potato wedges.

TB said if I am a good girl and eat all my food I will get ice cream for dessert! :angel:
To help absorb the iron in the spinach and kale, don't forget vitamin C. "Spinach is high in oxalic acid, which can bind with iron and calcium and cause your body to absorb less of these nutrients. Consuming foods rich in vitamin C, such as tomatoes, capsicum, lemon juice or orange juice along with spinach can aid this absorption. Spinach is high in fibre, but too much of it can cause digestive problems such as bloating, gas and cramping." Spinach for iron and fibre - body+soul

https://www.uhs.uga.edu/nutrition/iron.html

To help absorb the iron in the spinach and kale, don't forget vitamin C. "Spinach is high in oxalic acid, which can bind with iron and calcium and cause your body to absorb less of these nutrients. Consuming foods rich in vitamin C, such as tomatoes, capsicum, lemon juice or orange juice along with spinach can aid this absorption. Spinach is high in fibre, but too much of it can cause digestive problems such as bloating, gas and cramping." Spinach for iron and fibre - body+soul

https://www.uhs.uga.edu/nutrition/iron.html

And, cooking greens converts the iron to a form that is more easily absorbed by the body, but beef and liver have much more iron than greens.

Also, did your doctor tell you it's iron-deficiency anemia? There are other causes.

Back
Top Bottom