Pressure Cooking Vegetable Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paid In Grapes

Assistant Cook
Has anyone made a vegetable stock in a pressure cooker, either stove top or electric? I know it improves poultry based stocks. What I'd like to know is if it makes a more flavorful or richer veggie stock than other methods or is it just a time saver?

I mostly make my stock from scraps in the crock pot and the time isn't really an issue for me. I know roasting boosts the flavors, but I seldom do as what I usually use my stock for it's just an unecessary step. However there are occasions, the stock or broth if that's technically correct, is a featured player and I'll use fresh veggies and roast etc, but still I'm looking to notch it up a bit.

Thanks

I have and I think it is mainly just a time saver. 90% time saver; 10% flavor enhancer.

I think it is important to recognize that this question about stock has been answered by Stock Pot. :LOL: The irony just tickled my funny bone.

As a personal preference, I don't like vegetable stocks that have broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage/brussel sprouts in them, as those particular flavors tend to overpower any other vegetables.

For our household, for chicken stock, I generally take the bones and fat and brown that up in the oven, then add water and cook for as long as I am spending time in or near the kitchen, then strain and freeze.

For our household, for chicken stock, I generally take the bones and fat and brown that up in the oven, then add water and cook for as long as I am spending time in or near the kitchen, then strain and freeze.

You likely freeze the bones and fat after browning them as you're not ready to use them at that time, is that correct? ...or is there another reason for freezing them?

2. ... would freezing them deepen the flavour of the stock?

3. ...also, if you're not in the kitchen very long, how long would you leave them in the oven and at what temperature please? Thanks in advance!

You likely freeze the bones and fat after browning them as you're not ready to use them at that time, is that correct? ...or is there another reason for freezing them?

3. ...also, if you're not in the kitchen very long, how long would you leave them in the oven and at what temperature please? Thanks in advance!
1. Freeze the stock.
2. no idea
3. 350 degrees F for as many hours as I have available before bedtime. 3-4-5-6

Roasting chicken bones doesn't take a long time. I usually do it when I'm making the stock. You can put the frozen bones into the oven as is and they'll roast fine.

Freezing the stock won't change the flavor.

For the bones, I use 400ºF until they brown. I don't think you need as much as an hour.

Charlotte, I think you're mis-understanding what's been said.

When a chicken is cut up (or any other meat) for a dish and there are parts that are going to be kept for making stock - they are frozen right then. (If a person roasted them at the time, they might as well make the stock right then.) An exception would be a roast turkey or chicken and you are keeping the carcass for stock - I freeze it if I don't have time and just throw them frozen into a stock pot.

When there is time to make the stock, the bits and pieces are taken from the freezer and roasted then.

Lobster shells, beef bones, chicken bones - there are probably as many temperatures and lengths of roasting time as there are recipes. Everyone will have their favourite.

Beef or chicken bones:- Don't think you can go wrong if you roast at 450 F for a minimum of 30 - 40 minutes. Chunk in some carrots, celery and onions. I saw a recipe for over an hour of roasting time.

Beef or chicken bones:- Don't think you can go wrong if you roast at 450 F for a minimum of 30 - 40 minutes. Chunk in some carrots, celery and onions. I saw a recipe for over an hour of roasting time.

I found that to be too high a temperature. The vegetables started burning. I roast them at 400 for about a half hour and get plenty of flavor.

Back
Top Bottom