Price of Beef??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this week's specials in north joisey:

$3.49/lb. for bone in chuck steak, choice grade
$4.49/lb. for bone in angus chuck steak, choice

$5.49/lb. for boneless sirloin steak, choice
$6.49 for boneless angus sirloin steak, choice

$3.99/lb. for top round london broil, choice
$4.49/lb. for top round angus lodon broil, choice

$8.99/lb. for kosher boneless chuck steak, god certified
$5.99/lb. for kosher ground beef

Last edited:
So where does the price of pork fit into this increase of meat? Or lamb, or any other meat. (chicken - sorry CWS)

This may interest you, my best mate a retired Cruise ship Master lives in Kalamata Greece Greece's cut-price potato movement shows Greeks chipping in | World news | The Guardian

Beautiful article, thanks Bolas. They're having a BAD time down there, indeed. Hope we'll find a way out of this bl**y mess of a crisis. Times are hard in Italy, too, but certainly not so hard as in Greece. And being jobless it's very challenging when it comes to build your menu...
However, here the beef costs from about 10 euros to 20 euros for 1 kg (about 30 to 60 USD /lb., if my math is right). Turkey, pork and chicken are usually cheaper. Now you can understand why we are great pasta eaters...

So where does the price of pork fit into this increase of meat? Or lamb, or any other meat. (chicken - sorry CWS)
I imagine because feed costs have gone up. There has been a trend (at least in Iowa) for farmers to sell their corn for ethanol instead of feed. I think pigs in Iowa were typically fed corn. And, for those planting, seed costs have gone up. Another factor is higher transportation costs (not to mention fuel costs to run the farm equipment). There may also be more regulatory/environmental costs. I know that when I have bought a side of pork or beef, I've had to also pay an "environmental disposal" fee for the hide, etc., which is factored into the cut and wrap cost. Everything we complain about re: rising gas prices, also hits delivery costs to get food to market. And, of course weather. Wheat production was down 1/3 in 2011 (in case you were wondering why bread, flour, and pasta prices have gone up as well). Increased electricity rates are probably passed on for those "hot house" produce items we like to have year around. All of these things are part of the reason we try to raise as much of our own food as possible. It is a lot of work and time, but it does give us freedom not to have to spend as much at the supermarket as we would if we didn't do this. Still toying with buying a share of a dairy cow....just have to find a dairy farmer willing to do this.

Last edited:
Fab Post: Prices in Madrid Capital, Spain

Good Afternoon,

I could not resist, in the mist of my packing for trip to Puglia Friday am to give some feedback to this fab post.

Prices via the Kilo in Euros in Madrid today on Sale:

Boneless steak called Entrecôtè ( a French cut ) = 12.90 Euros a kilo
Veal Cutlets = 7.20 Euros a kilo
Prime Beef Stew ( not chuck ) = 6.50 Euros a kilo
Lamb chops = 6.90 Euros a kilo
Pork cutlets = 5.95 Euros a kilo
Pork Tenderlion ( log shape ) = 6.99 Euros a kilo ( Filet Mignon of Pork )
Pork Chops = 4.99 Euros a Kilo
Rabbit = 4.50 Euros a kilo
Turkey breasts = 6.95 Euros a kilo
Chicken thigh - leg combination = 1.99 Euros a kilo

FISH: ( note: fish is much cheaper in Spain )

Fresh Cod fish = 6.90 Euros a Kilo
Salt Cod = 5.90 Euros a Kilo
Swordfish = 9.90 Euros a Kilo
Fresh Gilthead or Gilt Bream = 2.80 Euros a whole fish
Large Prawns ( steady price except during Christmas ) = 7.95 Euros a Kilo

These were all the sale prices today at a specific market.

We also eat alot of pasta, veggies, Fish and shellfish ... however, we do enjoy our Sunday roasts ... we shop about and price compare for the best quality at the best price ...

Kind regards and thanks for interesting post.
Margi.

Last edited:
Pork is almost always pretty inexpensive. Assorted pork chops and pork ribeye roast, both $1.97. I also can almost always find what they label "Misc. Pork Cuts." It sounds like scraps, but it almost always contains very nice pork chops that happened to lie on the border between one style and another and didn't quite fit either. Sometimes, it'a hard to tell why it's in there, because it might have a couple of perfect butterfly chops. It might just be the last two cuts, and they were making up family packs. It's usually $1.50 or less.

There will be some increase in beef prices this year. The severe drought forced sell-off of stock because we went into winter with no hay reserve. So relatively few young cattle were being brought to market weight. West Texas feedlots were asking $126 per cwt last week, and no one was buying at that price, which is way higher than 2010. There's just a limit to what buyers will pay, and eventually, the sellers will take the loss and sell before feed and beef become more plentiful later this year. The cattle in the feedlots aren't getting any younger and aren't getting much heavier and are eating feed that's still high.

The best seafood deal here is usually wild-caught, x-large or jumbo, brown Gulf of Mexico shrimp, heads off, when it gets down to $6.00 a pound. This chain has their own contracted fleet.

well, we are not starving, but I do end up using chicken a lot

I think of chicken as expensive. I can get boneless chunks of beef or pork for the same price per lb as whole chicken. Yes, I want the bones for stock, but I don't like to pay as much for bones as for boneless meat.

Beautiful article, thanks Bolas. They're having a BAD time down there, indeed. Hope we'll find a way out of this bl**y mess of a crisis. Times are hard in Italy, too, but certainly not so hard as in Greece. And being jobless it's very challenging when it comes to build your menu...
However, here the beef costs from about 10 euros to 20 euros for 1 kg (about 30 to 60 USD /lb., if my math is right). Turkey, pork and chicken are usually cheaper. Now you can understand why we are great pasta eaters...

According to Google: 10 (Euros / kg) = 6.01917075 US$ / pound

I think you doubled where you were supposed to divide by two.

According to Google: 10 (Euros / kg) = 6.01917075 US$ / pound

I think you doubled where you were supposed to divide by two.

Thats right, about $6.00/lb on the lower end to $12.00/lb at the higher end, on average, depending on exchange rate fluctuations.

I would like to know where the variety of roasts have gone. Most stores only carry a couple of cuts. Maybe a cross rib, rib, sirloin tip. I guess they market them in smaller cuts to charge more? Or, maybe people just aren't buying roasts any more.

...Or, maybe people just aren't buying roasts any more.
I think that's true. With fewer stay-at-home types these days, most people are looking for quick, convenient meals. Roasts don't really fit into that category. Growing up, my mother and grandmother used to make a lot of roasts. Maybe one every other week. I don't think it's something that families do much of anymore. Speaking for my own family, we may only have a couple of roasts a year outside of holidays or special occasions.

I would like to know where the variety of roasts have gone. Most stores only carry a couple of cuts. Maybe a cross rib, rib, sirloin tip. I guess they market them in smaller cuts to charge more? Or, maybe people just aren't buying roasts any more.

Stores probably focus on cuts that sell best/have the best mark-ups.

Good Afternoon,

Truly good post --- current events ... crisis ... economics ... with a food slant ...

Earlier I had posted Sale prices, however I buy my meat at the Main Central Market where I have my butcher, my fish monger, and my pountry monger ... NOT the Supermarket ... very rarely ...

In Madrid, the norm for ground beef is always 5.99 Euros a kilo ... and I have to make my Bolognese tomato sauce, my lasagne and my meatloaf and meatballs ...

And I do not wish to forget the Stuffed Bell Peppers !

Thanks to the starter of this post and all the contributors.
M.C.

Just for fun, I converted Margi's prices in Spain over to US dollars per pound. Interesting comparison. Overall, it appears prices tend to run a little lower in Spain than here in the US. Fish and rabbit are much less expensive (I pay $7.50/lb. for rabbit and $11.95/lb for salt cod).

Boneless steak called Entrecôtè (a French cut) = $7.79/lb (as near as I can tell, this is the cut we call a ribeye in the US)
Veal Cutlets = $4.35/lb
Prime Beef Stew ( not chuck ) = $3.92/lb
Lamb chops = $4.18/lb
Pork cutlets = $3.60/lb
Pork Tenderlion ( log shape ) = $4.23/lb
Pork Chops = $3.02/lb
Rabbit = $2.73/lb
Turkey breasts = $4.20/lb
Chicken thigh - leg combination = $1.20/lb
Ground Beef = $3.62/lb

FISH: ( note: fish is much cheaper in Spain )

Fresh Cod fish = $4.18/lb
Salt Cod = $3.56/lb
Swordfish = $5.99/lb
Fresh Gilthead or Gilt Bream = $1.69 a whole fish
Large Prawns ( steady price except during Christmas ) = $4.80/lb

Back
Top Bottom