Prices!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Just ran out to a local supermarket to take advantage of a sale on boneless chuck roast. Couldn't help notice the price per gallon of gas ($4.59) was higher than the per pound price for the chuck roasts ($3.99). That hasn't happened in a long time.

Agreed Andy!
I did a big shop yesterday, hit all of my usual places in one day to be sure that we are well stocked before the bottom falls out.
I'm grateful that DH topped off our Gas tank just before the price shot up like mad.

Hold on to your hats everyone, it's going to be a bumpy ride!!! :ohmy:

You guys should think yourselves lucky.
Here a quote from the local press in SE London today:
"Fuel prices have hit a new record high as the average price for diesel in the UK has reached 165.24p per litre, according to the latest RAC data."
That makes a (US) gallon about 625.9 p ( £6.26)
£1 sterling is $1.31, so a gallon, today, would cost you $8.20.

You guys should think yourselves lucky.
Here a quote from the local press in SE London today:
"Fuel prices have hit a new record high as the average price for diesel in the UK has reached 165.24p per litre, according to the latest RAC data."
That makes a (US) gallon about 625.9 p ( £6.26)
£1 sterling is $1.31, so a gallon, today, would cost you $8.20.

I wouldn't want to pay those prices. It's difficult to compare prices internationally with all the differences in taxation etc. Fuel prices in European countries have always been significantly higher than the USA.

I wouldn't want to pay those prices. It's difficult to compare prices internationally with all the differences in taxation etc. Fuel prices in European countries have always been significantly higher than the USA.
But you´ve got to take into account that Europe, in general, has a far more advanced public transport system. I´m currently staying in a town 30 miles from London. I can be in the centre of London in just over an hour; no parking problems, no traffic jams, for just $11-12. I can buy a weekly bus pass which gives me unlimited bus travel in the town for just $28.
Maintaining a car costs, probably, $500 a month, taking into account taxes, insurance, petrol, etc., so for many, public transport is way more efficient.
However, there´s nothing like the phenomenal connection of Interstates and the comfort of driving down them!

Average price in Waterdown, Ontario, Canada is $1.85 per litre.

That is $.50 cents more than same time last week.

But you´ve got to take into account that Europe, in general, has a far more advanced public transport system. I´m currently staying in a town 30 miles from London. I can be in the centre of London in just over an hour; no parking problems, no traffic jams, for just $11-12. I can buy a weekly bus pass which gives me unlimited bus travel in the town for just $28.
Maintaining a car costs, probably, $500 a month, taking into account taxes, insurance, petrol, etc., so for many, public transport is way more efficient.
However, there´s nothing like the phenomenal connection of Interstates and the comfort of driving down them!

That's great but off topic. Public transportation is available in the US as well. most people choose to drive. I live about 30 mies from Boston and can take a train into the city for $12.

That's great but off topic. Public transportation is available in the US as well. most people choose to drive. I live about 30 mies from Boston and can take a train into the city for $12.

With the way they drive in Boston I don't blame you for taking the train. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

With the way they drive in Boston I don't blame you for taking the train. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm one of those "Boston Drivers". Actually, I've mellowed with age but when I see another driver exercising his "god-given right" to drive like as Boston driver, I smile to myself, confident that the torch has been passed and the tradition will live on.

Are there any Boston drivers, not counting taxi drivers, who know that they have blind spots? I remember spending a couple of weeks in the Greater Boston area and I actually started looking to see if anyone bothered to check over their shoulder before making lane changes. I only ever saw taxi drivers do that.

Back
Top Bottom