Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifter

Washing Up
A 24 hour question...

We have my daughter's dearest friend here in our home for the weekend...lives in residence in Kingston on year #4 or 5 of University at Queen's U...I call her the "Little Carnivour", as she is absolutely "raptor-like" about meat, seeing as her budget probably denies her much...

Anyways, the little carnivour has requested roast beef and yorkshires, gravy, smashed potato, etc tomorrow...

Will drive off to the far off and distant good butchering shop and buy same in the morning, and, of course have my own set of thoughts for how that's done, but, as it'll be an oversized roast (we want to send her back with leftovers!) and this neccessitates extra gravy, I thought I'd ask you all for any tips you might be willing to offer...

Been cooking a while, but I'll try every new idea, so please don't be shy...kick it out there for us all to benefit!

Lifter

Here's one that's got a lot of nice gaaaalic flavor!

PRIME RIB WITH CABERNET JUS

8 servings

2 bottles cabernet
4cups beef stock
2 cups ruby Port
3 large garlics
1 large shallot
2 bay leaves
3tsp. dry thyme
4 large garlic cloves, smashed
1 6lb.boneless prime rib roast

Combine cabernet, stock, Port, 3 peeled garlic cloves, shallot, bay leaves, and 1 tsp. thyme in large saucepan; boil til reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. Strain.
Preheat oven to 450; place beef, fat side up, in heavy baking pan; rub beef all over with smashed garlic and remaining 2 tsp. thyme. Season generously with salt/pepper. Roast 1 hour; tent beef with foil; continue roasting til temperature registers 118 for rare, about 35 minutes. Transer to platter and let stand 20 minutes.
Pour off all fat from roasting pan; place pan oer medium high heat; add cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season with salt/pepper and add in any juices from the standing roast.

Marmalady, you cook yours as I do mine in a hot oven. Exactly the same, even the finishing temp. Can't improve on that one, only offer an "Amen" or two!

So...about that Yorkshire Pudding, lifter! Here's how I do mine:

1/4 cup drippings collected from the roast beef pan
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1-2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives or green onion tops (minced fine)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (knew you’d like that one!)

Remove roast from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Increase the temperature to 450 degrees. While the roast is standing tented, for 30 minutes, the Yorkshire pudding can be baking.

Before deglazing the roasting pan, pour ¼ cup of the drippings into a 9-inch cast iron skillet (alternatively, divide the drippings evenly between cups of a heavy muffin pan). Put it into the oven to get the drippings hot (beginning to smoke).

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, flour, chives, and salt and whisk very well until lots of bubbles appear on the surface. Pour the batter into the hot pan (or muffin cups) and bake for about 30 minutes. Serve piping hot with the sliced roast beef.

Lifter, I am a purist when it comes to beef. I don't rub with anything and the only seasonings that I use are coarse salt and pepper. Those are only put on the fat cap and not the meat proper.

As to making extra gravy, well I have found that no matter what size your roast, it will leave enough drippings for just the right amount of gravy. I deglaze with beef stock and then make the gravy from there.

I have no help on the Yorkshires as no matter what I do I get hockey pucks. I suck at cream puffs too. LOL. I usually make soft dinner rolls for any roast beef dinner I do.

Good Luck Lifter, I will be thinking of your yummy meal.

Alix, I have an easy recipe for eclairs (same dough as cream puffs). Wanna try it? I've made 'em bunches of times with nary a problem.

mudbug, you betcha! I continue to try with both the cream puffs and the yorkshires despite my many failures. I am so up for an eclair trial. Just tell me where the recipe is.

Alix said:
mudbug, you betcha! I continue to try with both the cream puffs and the yorkshires despite my many failures. I am so up for an eclair trial. Just tell me where the recipe is.

It's not in here yet. will post it under Desserts when I type it up for ya.
BTW, I have never tried the yorkies, so I will try those soon.

Dry Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Yield: 10 servings

1 (4-bone-in) standing rib roast, preferably from the loin end
Canola oil, to coat roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to cover entire roast
1 cup water
1 cup red wine
4 fresh sage leaves

Remove any plastic wrapping or butcher's paper from the roast. Place the standing rib roast upright onto a half sheet pan fitted with a rack. The rack is essential for drainage. Place dry towels loosely on top of the roast. This will help to draw moisture away from the meat. Place into a refrigerator at approximately 50 to 60 percent humidity and between 34 and 38 degrees F. You can measure both with a refrigerator thermometer. Change the towels daily for 3 days.
Place a 16-inch round azalea terra cotta planter into a cold oven. Invert the planter to become a lid over a pizza stone or the bottom of the planter. The oven should be cold to start, to avoid any cracking in the terra cotta pieces. Turn the oven to 250 degrees F.

Remove the roast from the refrigerator and rub with canola oil. Remember to rub the bones with oil, as well. Once the roast is completely coated with oil cover the roast with kosher salt, about half a teaspoon per bone. Next, rub with freshly ground pepper to coat the surface. Place the roast over a glass bake-ware dish slightly smaller than the length of the roast. This will catch the drippings needed for the sauce. Finally, place a probe thermometer into the center of the roast and set for 118 degrees. Put the roast and the bake-ware dish onto the pizza stone, cover with the terra cotta pot, and return to the oven. Turn the oven down to 200 degrees F and roast until internal temperature is achieved.

Remove the roast and turn oven up to 500 degrees F. Remove the terra cotta lid and recover with heavy-duty foil. Allow the roast to rest until an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. is reached. Place the roast back into the preheated 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until you've achieved your desired crust. Remove and transfer roast to a cutting board. Keep covered with foil until ready to serve.

Degrease the juices in the glass pan. Place the pan over low heat and deglaze with 1 cup of water. Add the wine and reduce by half. Roll the sage leaves in between your fingers to release the flavors and aroma. Add to the sauce and cook for 1 minute. Strain and serve on the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom