Produce in Israel has more taste most of the time? How would get accepted in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
so.
many would say the the israeli produce {fruit and veggies} often have much more taste in them.

my question is if in your opinion an american who would taste the israeli produce will like it? or it will be different and thus won't appeal them?

so many israeli farmers are struggling but in recent years there is more demand in my opinion for better quality produce. the ones that were in the old days.
alongside that, the supermarkets carry mostly low quality and imported veggies (like cukes and tomatoes).
most israelis that like to eat high quality produce don't like this imported produce..

if you know otherwise let us know

Locally grown produce is usually tastier, anywhere. It is fresher, because it doesn't have to travel as far. It is often picked under ripe, so it will travel better and have a longer shelf life when it arrives.

A lot of the more modern produce has been bred to survive travelling and for appearance. That does not improve the flavour. So, a lot of people in North America like to buy "heirloom" produce. The old-fashioned stuff that didn't have to travel. Yes, it usually costs more.

true i guess

one example are the spadona pears
even tho most of the time they won't get ripe in israel and in my opinion it is a waste of money, sometimes it does ripen and gets so tasty. these are so sweet, juicy and tasty....

the one thing i feel sorry about is the massive export from israel to other countries because we are left many times with much less produce and sometimes even with the "brara" (low quality "leftovers")

actually i think that "brara" comes from arabic..

i hope that israel will be even more good with food and that people will be even more inspired to eat it from outside the country.

one think i didn't talk about much on these forums is hummus from the best hummus restaurants in israel..
i hope to do it soon and to include a picture as well..

i wrote "israel" too many times here.. :)

Many countries export their prize produce/goods.

Heck Canada even exports it's electricity and water! and we (the native consumer) pay thru the nose for it!

Example, I recently read we export the majority of out lobsters! I'm sure there are other things too.

Bottom line is - if the producers can make more money exporting their goods than selling them at home - they will.

This is interesting, STB.

Many things that are shipped are harvested before their peak to allow for many variables such as continued ripening during the shipping time, or preventing damage to softer items that would happen to a mature fruit or veggie.

Have you tried griwing the things that you like? Imo, there is nothing like harvesting something from your own property, then eating or cooking it within minutes or hours of that.

What comes to mind in my gardening experience are asparagus, radishes, tomatoes, horseradish, and kale.

I've organically grown each of these (and many more that I'm forgetting), and their flavor blows away anything that can be purchased at a corporate market, ir even a local farmer's market. The latter, though, is tbe best choice if there are no other options.

Last edited:
This also reminds me of what I wasted money on a few weeks ago. I bought a case (12) of Korean pears at the peak of its season, only to find them underripe, lacking in flavor, and a few were mealy.

At $3 to $4 per pear, that's a cryin' shame, to use an Irish expression.

Last week I did something I shouldn't have done, and got punished for it.

Im in New York, and its common knowledge to avoid buying tomatoes this time of year, cause they are mostly crap.

My local market had these visually beautiful large ripe - looking heirloom tomatoes .
I couldnt resist and bought two, hoping to slice them up , and drizzling olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt, and serving as a side.

The second I cut into one, and noticed no juice flowing out all over the cutting board, I knew I was a in trouble.

It was dry, overripe, pasty .... I literally through them both out.

It served me right.

i'm interested to know a bit about gardening but it's problematic for me to grow vegetables myself. i don't have enough space but there are other reasons too.

when someone i know grew tomatoes they were terrible..

the two 'best' - and that's a relative term - tomatoes for winter buying I've found are (a) romas aka plum tomatoes and (b) hot house grown in Canada.

good gardening takes attention to detail and pretty much a daily stroll to check conditions.

terrible tomatoes, for example, are easy to produce - just get real irregular with watering them....

however, local produce sometimes is more difficult than others
DSC_1117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom