Proofing Yeast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 5-10 minutes, crewsk. Once it looks foamy, you're good to go. If it doesn't get foamy in that amount of time, then either
1. yeast was old and dead
2. your water was too hot, killing the little guys
3. your water wasn't warm enough

(Keep up the good work! :D )

Thanks PA! One other question, I know I have been told a thousand times but what should the water temp be? My brain is going on shutdown today!

Standard is anything between 85 and 105--anything that feels comfortably warm on your wrist.

Also, don't add salt until you have flour mixed in. Sugar helps it proof better (usually about 1Tbsp).

Hope this helps!

My water was about 110 or so(I think :oops: ). Anyway, I just took the focaccia out of the oven & since I couldn't wait for it too cool, I had a piece. It turned out really good! :D As a bonus, the kneading really felt good!!

crewsk said:
My water was about 110 or so(I think :oops: ). Anyway, I just took the focaccia out of the oven & since I couldn't wait for it too cool, I had a piece. It turned out really good! :D As a bonus, the kneading really felt good!!

Glad it was good, Crewsk! I love kneading bread--it's a wonderful stress reducer. Did the altoids help you at all?

Thanks, I will! You are helping just by checking up on me! :LOL: Today should go pretty good since I'm getting ready to go to my parents & I don't smoke around them at all.

No problem! Didn't mean to step on toes, but I'd copied it yesterday so remembered that you'd posted the link. Once DH is on a break from South Beach I plan to make it, too.

Back
Top Bottom